• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for RAF Aden veterans

lochnagar

LAC
Hello folks. Does anyone recall how many times a year we had to qualify on the rifle range at Steamer point ? I know it was once a year in UK but I'm sure it was two or three times yearly in Aden. I was there from late 1965 until near closing time Aug 1967. Thanks and a happy new year for 2016

I've just checked with my dad (who was there at a similar time to you) and he remembers having to qualify on the range "multiple times" a year, but he can't remember if it was three or four times.

lochnagar

LAC
range firing makes you deaf

range firing makes you deaf

Thanks for that, my audiologist says that's why I'm now wearing 2 hearing aids, at that time we weren't offered ear defenders
I've just checked with my dad (who was there at a similar time to you) and he remembers having to qualify on the range "multiple times" a year, but he can't remember if it was three or four times.

sulky

SAC
ill ask my dad when i get home and see if he says the same thing

btw he wears 2 hearing aids from his time in the RAF

Last edited:

Molar Mob

KOS
My wife is a nurse in an ear, nose and throat department and an ex PMRAF nurse. In her department they see a number of ex-servicemen and she tells me that you have to claim compensation within 2 to 3 years of being diagnosed with noise induced hearing loss. Hope this of help.

stereolab

Station Cashier
Hello folks. Does anyone recall how many times a year we had to qualify on the rifle range at Steamer point ? I know it was once a year in UK but I'm sure it was two or three times yearly in Aden. I was there from late 1965 until near closing time Aug 1967. Thanks and a happy new year for 2016

Aden was before my time, just, but serving in Northern Ireland, on 2 separate occasions of 3 years, we qualified every three months. I say "qualified"........