• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promotion - removal of the miss a year off the board for turning it down

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Morning Goaters, Air ranks and feds, It has been mentioned a couple of times on here about the removal of the ruling about missing a year off the promotion board AP 3376 Vol 1 Para 27(C). I have heard it from a couple of high ranking officers that its happening but not seen any amendment to the AP, has anyone seen anything concrete yet as my promotion board sits soon.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Until it's in black and white (and then widely disseminated) you're at the mercy of individual board members' knowledge - with no evidence to support an unfavourable decision.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Are you saying that there is now the possibility of:

Board sits in Feb. Ratified. Person on PSL but low down. Touch & go if they make him.
SJAR in Aug - Person gets a spec or whatever it is called these days.
Same person who was on the PSL offered promotion/posting in following January - turns it down because he got a spec last Aug and gambles that he'll get a better offer very soon.
Board sits in Feb. Ratified. Person much higher up PSL.
April - Person gets offered another promotion/posting to a more preferable location and accepts.

Madness!

As I've found out from last years board, the reasons why the promotion is turned down will be the deciding factor on if an individual will be presented to the next board. The SP will also be given a letter from Manning stating the findings of a pannel on weither they will even be presented to the board, so there should be no surprises from the SP the following year not being on the board.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
When did your board sit? I was told from October 16 people no longer missed the next board....?

I now have the concrete from manning, you no longer miss a year even if you were told you would. As for your comments mutty, yes people turn **** postings down for a whole host of reasons, why should you be doubly punished, the decision to turn it down is not done lightly, hopefully IF selected again, something more favorable will be presented. If not It's another tough decision.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If those being promoted are the future, why do manning keep using the carrot of promotion to fill it's 5h1tty slots, until the RAF introduce meaningful career management for airmen I guess it'll always be so.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
As for your comments mutty, yes people turn **** postings down for a whole host of reasons, why should you be doubly punished, the decision to turn it down is not done lightly, hopefully IF selected again, something more favorable will be presented. If not It's another tough decision.

I'm sure everyone does turn it down for extremely valid reasons, but the fact remains that the posting to RAF Undesirable needs filling. Its not always down to location - my recollections are that it was a struggle to get SNCOs to 2MT Sqn as it was seen as a bloody awful place to be by the MT world. Most of my 3 years there was spent saying hello & goodbye to SNCOs who did the bare minimum time after being posted there on promotion before escaping. If they'd had the option of saying no thanks - I'll wait a couple of months for somewhere else, then I'm sure they'd have done it.

So the big question is - how far down a list will they go before it is filled? If it absolutely needs filling, will they go beyond the PSL and offer it to someone who wasn't even selected - thus promoting someone that wasn't deemed fit for promotion?

Or will they leave it in the pot and offer it to the same people who turned it down last time in the hope that the thought of having to wait almost 12 months before another offer comes may persuade someone to take it.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Have you sat on a board? When I did we never knew if someone had turned down promotion the previous year because we were only presented eligible candidates by the preboarders. So really it depends on the preboarders being told.

No I've never sat on a board - I assumed that, if this rule is to fulfill a purpose, then pre-boarding would have filtered said individual out (before the actual board) in accordance with that rule. I was referencing pre-boarder's knowledge of the rules, not of individual casework - sorry, should probably have worded that better.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
They should grow a pair and do as they used to do, if someone turns down the promotion post them in rank and promote them later.

Or come into the 21st century (highly unlikely) and dangle some carrots for example.

If two people from the same board turn down a post then offer it to the next person with a guaranteed maximum tour length and an extra £5 / day pay

unruly1986

Sergeant
If those being promoted are the future, why do manning keep using the carrot of promotion to fill it's 5h1tty slots, until the RAF introduce meaningful career management for airmen I guess it'll always be so.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Exactly this. As someone who came off relatively high on the board, I have seen people in later releases get posts I would've jumped at. I simply wasn't offered them because manning needed to fill the **** jobs first.