• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Progression from RAF Medic to RAF Paramedic

Zulu Time

Trekkie Nerd
Hello Goats,

Are there any medic-types on this forum that might be able to say if there is much progression on to Paramedic level from medic? How is this acheived?

Thanks

ZT

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
ZT, are you already in as a RAF Medic if so then competition is very fierce, min req is experienced SAC/Cpl with plenty of clinical exposure (First Responder, etc) and very strong evidence that not only do you have the clinical skills but also the academic skills to justify the RAF putting through the course.

If you are thinking of joining as a RAF Paramedic then that doesnt happen currently you must be a RAF Medic first then be selected.

Zulu Time

Trekkie Nerd
Thanks Penfold, that's very helpful.

I'm joining the RAF to become a medic. I'm an EMT in Ireland and hope to try to get a bridging course or something to get on the register in the UK.

Do the RAF have a stance on medics volunteering with a local ambulance trust or similar in order to get clinical experience? Sorry for all the questions, I'd really like to make a decent go of it.

ZT

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
If you can get on the register here then I would like to think that, Primary duty permitting, you can get CPD with an hon contract with the local trust (unpaid). You can also get permission from your OC to do agency shifts you can get paid for these but they must be during leave or W/E. Tactical Medical Wing at RAF Brize Norton has now got a First responder vehicle assisgned to them and there is talk of this being upgraded to Paramedic response vehicle as there are about 15(?) paramedics based there

obi

LAC
Thanks Penfold, that's very helpful.

I'm joining the RAF to become a medic. I'm an EMT in Ireland and hope to try to get a bridging course or something to get on the register in the UK.

Do the RAF have a stance on medics volunteering with a local ambulance trust or similar in order to get clinical experience? Sorry for all the questions, I'd really like to make a decent go of it.

ZT

We're in an interestingly similar situation. I'm an Irish 35 year old trainee EMT. I've been in touch with 502 Sqn at Aldergrove (Antrim) about joining. They were very welcoming and seemed genuinely interested in having me on board (I was applying as a reservist).

For family reasons, I've decided to forego joining for the time being, i.e. my wife was genuinely upset at the prospect of me being deployed and we have a young son together. But I'll train away in the Irish Army Reserve (which I'm currently in) and see how the next few years go - the UK AFs quite rightly accept reservists up until 50.

If you're joining the Regulars as a medic, get your skates on! That post is only open up until 33 years of age. Aldergrove are also looking for Regulars medics so perhaps that might be an option a bit closer to home - you'll still get to do your training at Brize Norton and could make your way to paramedic at some point.

And the information I was given was that you didn't even need to do the bridging course to join if you're an Irish EMT - ask your AFCO but you should be good to go as is. They'll take care of the rest in terms of progression to paramedic - if you make the cut.

I wish you all the best.