• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Professional Equality

KingGuin

Sergeant
If you are going to present a paper you may want to look into funding, your Sector Skills Council is Government Skills: http://www.government-skills.gov.uk/index.asp

They recognise HR in the form of Business, Administration and Law (I think, this isn't my sector) they have signed up to the skills pledge and are also the organisation who make grant payments for skills training. Bearing in mind the fact that Train to Gain funding has now been extended to NVQ 3 and second NVQ funding (your skills council's grant payment structure is here: http://www.skillsforlife-sw.org.uk/docs/TtG_Rates_Equivalent_0809.pdf ) they may well recognise some of the CIPD quals and pay employers grants for them or discretionary grants or be able to draw down T2G funding. You'll need to look through the website, maybe you would need to do one of their Awarding Body qualifications and get CIPD recognition (where there's a will there's a way.)

If in doubt contact the SSC and ask them what they can do for you, there must be some mechanism by which your branch can draw down funding (they probably already do for any NVQ training your branch do) SSC's exist to fund skills training and pay out grants to your sector, they want to give out money, it doesn't come from the MoD budget :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Edited: Having just looked through Government Skills' National Occupational Standards you could say they aren't very comprehensive........unless of course you want an NVQ in Parade Training! ENTO seem to have the HR market wrapped up and I suspect CIPD use their standards (CIPD is not a standard setting body): National Occupational Standards search for HR is here: http://www.ukstandards.org/Find_Occ...spx?NosFindID=5&search_string=human resources.

Regardless of this touching base with Government Skills as your SSC will inform you of funding options.

Cheers Chiefy, saves me a job.

vinnyvx2

LAC
An interesting thread. Being at a unit where the OC BSW has provided funding for 10 personnel to complete the CIPD CPP course, where the course tutor comes to us for half a day per week. I feel at a slight disadvantage to others outside our unit who are completing this, as the discussions we have seem to be very "military" related and we are not getting the experiences and opinions of those in the real world, in how they deal with issues . We have SACs, Cpls, Sgts and one Fg Off doing this course. If I had the option of doing it at a local college I would rather than with colleagues whom you work with on a regular basis. It’s not what I initially expected it to be, but personally I will be able to make use of it in the next few years.

I'm glad the OC BSW is being proactive, the RAF/TG17 will benefit from it. You make a very good point about doing the CPP or CIPD for that matter with civilians, it sheds a whole different light on HR. We can also learn a lot from each other. I learnt a lot from the 15 women on the course with me!

raflad67

Corporal
.... I think the RAF needs to encourage TG17 to go for CIPD membership, but by funding it through ELC, encouraging and supporting staff and negotiating corporate discounts with CIPD training providers both nationally(CIPD) and regionally(universities). Having said that, there is nothing to stop Chf Clks sitting all their clerks down and encouraging them to do it. However CIPD qualified TG17 staff will put pressure on Career Managers and the trade sponsor to use their new skills and that may be the biggest challenge.

Did just that recently - engaged with a couple of providers and then all TG17 (and AGC) at my Unit and another close by. Unfortunately, no takers at the time. Now just about to start the CIPD Intermediate (Level 5) in HRM - have a guy who has now decided to do it so we can support each other. I am using my ELC but there is a bit to pay although I did negotiate a small discount.

As far as I can see you need a CIPD Qual if you want a decent stab at a job in civvy street. As far as CPP is concerned - is this now the Certificate in HRP? I know a couple of guys who did it on resettlement and also that the Lvl 5 is also available via this route at a reasonable cost.

Woodja

Corporal
Did just that recently - engaged with a couple of providers and then all TG17 (and AGC) at my Unit and another close by. Unfortunately, no takers at the time. Now just about to start the CIPD Intermediate (Level 5) in HRM - have a guy who has now decided to do it so we can support each other. I am using my ELC but there is a bit to pay although I did negotiate a small discount.

As far as I can see you need a CIPD Qual if you want a decent stab at a job in civvy street. As far as CPP is concerned - is this now the Certificate in HRP? I know a couple of guys who did it on resettlement and also that the Lvl 5 is also available via this route at a reasonable cost.

Going to be starting the lvl 5 on resettlement in May - the actual course is not going to cost much (using ELC and the IRTC), then there is just the registration and exam fees to pay (should cost me about £600 in total)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don't aim low

Don't aim low

Going to be starting the lvl 5 on resettlement in May - the actual course is not going to cost much (using ELC and the IRTC), then there is just the registration and exam fees to pay (should cost me about £600 in total)

The post grad qualification won't cost you that much more but will be worth a awful lot more on the jobs market.