• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plumbing and Plastering

mightyhunter

Sergeant
'Lo
Got a sneck at work who is life ex from the mob in December. He's a bit shy so he has got me to come on the goat (ooer!) to ask if anyone knows of any short courses in plumbing/plastering in the Midlands.
Thanx for any help

Major Geek

Sergeant
Best place to go would be his resettlement advisor. Most local colleges run courses like that and this is the best time of year to start.

How can somebody who is shy get to be a SNCO?

mightyhunter said:
'Lo
Got a sneck at work who is life ex from the mob in December. He's a bit shy so he has got me to come on the goat (ooer!) to ask if anyone knows of any short courses in plumbing/plastering in the Midlands.
Thanx for any help

Why can't he come down to the Career Transition Partnership at Aldershot for 2 weeks and use half his £534 terminal grant like the rest of us?

Real hard time living in the hotel - I can tell you!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
:pDT_Xtremez_40: I was a plasterer before joining up...Tell him to be a plumber!

My hands, more than 20 years on still suffer from the effects of lime and gypsum...bloody sore.

B

Beerofund

mightyhunter said:
'Lo
Thanx for any help

Yet another so called instant builder? If he is doing it for personal home use ok its a good thing to do - however takes 5 yrs to become a plasterer of any skill and the same in most building trades.

Is he thinking he can get a job in the building trade - trust me builders will not touch him as they want cheap apprentices or skilled man who have been years in the job. Im already in the building trade (and was before joining up) as a side line so have lots of mates who get letters and phone calls all the time from people thinking there an Electrician, Brickie or the like cus they have been on a 6 week course - strangely they dont get hired.

Dont wish to bash his dream - just some friendly advice. PM me if he would like to chat about it further

Beero

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
He'll probably make some money out of working for himself (as a pension subsidy)..At least then he can pick and choose the simple stuff and kind of 'potter' around at it...

Agreed he would struggle and probably have a nervous breakdown if he attempted to mix it with the big boys on site.

I think these sort of courses are more suited to somebody who wants to be a general handyman..

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Beware of these short courses.

Tell him to lurk in the screwfixdirect forums for a while to see what the guys in there think.

In short, you cant reasonably expect to practice as a self employed plumber until you have some experience with a pro.

Another thing to consider is the amount of european building tradesmen flooding the UK.

Unfortunately, Its becoming more & more the 'proof' bit of paper at the end of the course - not necessarily the experience gained from it.

I can pull a computer/server-you name-it-piece of IT to pieces and rebuild it no prob's - but I've (not yet until resettlement course complete) got a bit of paper to say that I can !

More awkwardly, for all of my time during the RAF/Trade/SNCO, The Eng0 at each station has 'automatically' allowed me to work on lifting tackle and control crane ops - which now means nothing outside unless I've got a LloydsBritish cert etc etc

Good job I only want to work on computers sooner than lift 'em !

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Generally, the advice I read was that youre better doing a short-inexpensive course and pick up jobs that the pros dont want. As you get more confident, perhaps attend a college course and study NVQ. In Scotland, I believe its the case that you cannot practice as a plummer unless you are NVQ qualified. The only way to do that is to work for someone else and gather evidence of experience (alongside a college course). The same may happen in England, totally undermining the C&G plumming courses.

B

Beerofund

metimmee said:
Generally, the advice I read was that youre better doing a short-inexpensive course and pick up jobs that the pros dont want. As you get more confident, perhaps attend a college course and study NVQ. In Scotland, I believe its the case that you cannot practice as a plummer unless you are NVQ qualified. The only way to do that is to work for someone else and gather evidence of experience (alongside a college course). The same may happen in England, totally undermining the C&G plumming courses.
under what rules cant you???