• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plastering Courses?

Kim Wipe

Corporal
Afternoon all.

After looking through the various plastering trade courses it appears there is no set qualification to become a plasterer. However, I'm looking for advice on a good course that will not just hand me a certificate after 3 days, but actually teach me how to become a good one.

There are several hundred advertised in courses magazines, but has anyone done one, or know how to spot a good course to partake in?

Cheers

Fat2at

Corporal
Whatever course you do, you'll just be shown the basics. After that get yourself a decent trowel and use that one only for skimming, get it well broken in and you'll save yourself a load of effort for years to come. Whereabouts are you - out of interest?

Davin20

LAC
I'm not sure how much they cost now but in my experience as a plasterer, the lads who went on them only got taught the basics in each aspect. Commercial work nowadays is mostly board an skim so as said above, get a decent 'worn-in' Marshaltown trowel to start you off. I learnt on site with my old man and once i could handle the board and trowel i basically learnt other aspects by watching then doing.

Unfortunately nowadays alot of companies want 'time-served' spreads with qualifications. I would advise a night a week in college to get your NVQ aswell to help for the future.

Kim Wipe

Corporal
Cheers everyone. Some really valuable advice. I'll take it away and look a bit deeper.

Again, cheers!