• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Planet Rock Rockblok..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Recently started listening to the Stereophonics. Good band, shame Kelly Jones feels the need to English bash so much.

Hmm, the Welsh Oasis ie a good pub band that got lucky.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

And I have to agree with you about that whining bigoted dwarf Jones.:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
SB - I dont know if you have heard anything by Nightwish - its rock, but different. The female vocalist has an amazing voice!!
Check them out if you have not heard them - worth the effort!!!
I'll have a look at them, but for the mo I'm after more Malmsteen. Especially the symphony stuff he did !
Hmm, the Welsh Oasis ie a good pub band that got lucky.:pDT_Xtremez_26:
And I have to agree with you about that whining bigoted dwarf Jones.:pDT_Xtremez_32:
Oasis = sh1te. Endex.

K

katinthehat

I saw Thunder on their tour late last year (my 7th time seeing them) and they are still a great live rock band. They are still recording albums too, If i remember correctly, their release last year was their 8th studio album.

Got a copy of the latest - "Robert Johnson's Tombstone" permanently attached to my CD in the car - well - intermixed with Y&T of course!!! But an excellent album - loving Dirty Dream, The Devil Made Me Do It, and the title track!!!

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Nightwish sacked their lead singer early last year, they have just recorded a new album with a different singer, so no idea how good she is.

If you like Nightwish/Stratovarius check out Within Temptation too, maybe a little closer to Evernesence than Nightwish, but a fine rock band with a very powerful lead singer. Saw them at Download festival last year, and looking forward to catching them there again this year.

K

katinthehat

Nice one MM, cheers for that - like Evanescence so can see the comparison - let me know what the new Nightwish sounds like - would be interesting to see if they retain their unique sound.
Still got my fingers crossed about seeing Thunder in Dec!!:pDT_Xtremez_14:

K

katinthehat

Oh and as a recommendation........... if you never heard the debut album by Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire - suggest you have a listen.
Ive only recently heard it - and its great!! Sorry I missed them at the time!!
Cheers for that!!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

(apologies for the double post!!!)

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Hi Kat, I think you should have your own sticky rock music thread along the lines of Sausage 2's agony page. Not sure if it'd work, but this is a question I'd like to ask:

Listening to Planet Rock last night and Talking Heads came on. I dont normally pigeonhole bands, but since when were they "Classic Rock"?

NOTE: This ain't just for Kat to answer, anyone can tell me why Talking Heads was on Planet Rock

Last edited:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Nightwish sacked their lead singer early last year, they have just recorded a new album with a different singer, so no idea how good she is.

If you like Nightwish/Stratovarius check out Within Temptation too, maybe a little closer to Evernesence than Nightwish, but a fine rock band with a very powerful lead singer. Saw them at Download festival last year, and looking forward to catching them there again this year.

On the subject of girly rock singers, has anybody heard of the Guano Apes?

They were a German band and sounded like a cross between Faith No More, System Of A Down and Evanescence. The Croatian lead singer had a fantastic voice (sounded like the singer from 4 Non Blondes).

Well worth a listen but I wouldn't pay full whack for an album as there are a few really duff tracks on the albums.

K

katinthehat

Hi Kat, I think you should have your own sticky rock music thread along the lines of Sausage 2's agony page. Not sure if it'd work, but this is a question I'd like to ask:

Listening to Planet Rock last night and Talking Heads came on. I dont normally pigeonhole bands, but since when were they "Classic Rock"?

NOTE: This ain't just for Kat to answer, anyone can tell me why Talking Heads was on Planet Rock

Aww ty Roverboy - music is my first love and it will be my last.... as they say!
However I dont think the powers that be here would be too pleased about that- I might be wrong, I dont know.

As for Talking Heads being classic rock -I agree with you - never in a month of Sundays!!! Mind you - there are several bands they play regularly on there that I wonder about!!!!!
And have you heard the new Rush track?? Excellent!! Pre-ordered my copy of the album already - and have the Far Cry track as my ringtone now - along with a bit of Skid Row, Queensryche, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and the obligatory Thunder!!!

3Chordwonder

Talking Heads ? Classic Rock ?

More like ground-breaking pioneers. They should never be put in the same category as all that 70's hair non-sense.

I have to admit to absolutely hating all the established "legends" I'm not bashing anyone's music taste but Hendrix, Clapton, Queen, Led Zep...etc...all leave me completely cold and uninspired.

All my musical heroes are kind of "outside the establishment" - Strummer, Costello, Byrne, Cave, Coyne, Skiba......

K

katinthehat

If artists outside the establishment didnt gain a following, there would be no establishment - right?
And Joe Strummer - talented bloke - agree with that one.
Not exactly a purely mainstream fan myself - had a big thing for the Redskins (previously known as the Four Skins!) some years ago, along with the likes of the Meteors and the Cramps!!! Oh back in the days................!!!

3Chordwonder

The Meteors !!

A blast from the past - I remember my Psycho-Billy phase !
Surfin' Lungs, Empti-Fish etc..

Smash dancing in The Carribean Club in Reading.....1983....aaaaah

Funny thing is, I saw The Meteors about 2 years ago and they were awful !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.