• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Piper Bill Millin

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I expect his service of rememberance will be a piping spectacular and well attended...rightly so...

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I remember watching The Longest Day and thinking it was false, but then discovering a couple of years later what he did was true, the best of British eccentricity while under stress, balls as big as grapefruit.
RIP

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I remember watching The Longest Day and thinking it was false, but then discovering a couple of years later what he did was true, the best of British eccentricity while under stress, balls as big as grapefruit.
RIP

German soldiers refusing to shoot him because they thought he had gone mad. What a guy.
RIP Mr Millin

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nice dit in the Sun:

Bill has been unable to play his beloved pipes since suffering a stroke several years ago and is now confined to a wheelchair.

One of the two sets he used on D-Day now has pride of place in the Pegasus Bridge Museum - and they kindly allowed him to take them out and hold them once more.

Tears welled in his eyes as Bill cradled the pipes for the first time in 20 years and sat at the very point on the four-mile-long Sword Beach where he landed and played as a fearless invader.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...D-Day-our-heroes-still-fight-for-freedom.html

Digzster

Sergeant
The article does not state if Bill received any formal recognition for his remarkable bravery and the contribution he made to the morale of his fellow commandos.

Do any goaters know if he did?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The article does not state if Bill received any formal recognition for his remarkable bravery and the contribution he made to the morale of his fellow commandos.

Do any goaters know if he did?

A golf course at Port en Bessin have even named their 18th hole Piper Bill Millin, which is quite an honour as other holes bear the names of such wartime greats as Eisenhower.

Yet Bill was never honoured by his own country.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/e...w-on-d-day-beach-dies-aged-87-86908-22497822/

Not much is it considering these days we call footballers 'heroes'...

Digzster

Sergeant
A golf course at Port en Bessin have even named their 18th hole Piper Bill Millin, which is quite an honour as other holes bear the names of such wartime greats as Eisenhower.

Yet Bill was never honoured by his own country.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/e...w-on-d-day-beach-dies-aged-87-86908-22497822/
Not much is it considering these days we call footballers 'heroes'...

Vim,

Thanks for that link. I'm around that area in a short time from now for a couple of days. I'll try and get some photos of the hole to post on the thread as it's only fitting.

Like you say, not detracting from those who do deserve them, some knighthoods, OBE's MBE's are being dished out for trivial matters these days and the likes of Bill should have been recognized. I hope they get the cash for the monument.