• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pilot Training

M

Monaro

Now, I thought it was simple: you joined the RAF as a wanabee pilot, you got taught how to fly helis/jets and your away...

But I've just been on the Careers webby and read a load of stuff about University :pDT_Xtremez_41: I saw on the army DVD that Army Air Corp don't even have to be Officers...

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to to go to Uni to join the RAF as a Pilot... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Monaro said:
Now, I thought it was simple: you joined the RAF as a wanabee pilot, you got taught how to fly helis/jets and your away...

But I've just been on the Careers webby and read a load of stuff about University :pDT_Xtremez_41: I saw on the army DVD that Army Air Corp don't even have to be Officers...

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to to go to Uni to join the RAF as a Pilot... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

By the book you don't however, If you don't have one in these ultra competitive for limited spaces days them you may be dis-appointed...

Uni does not have to be torture...Do what most pilots do and pick an 'ology'...Then booze, sleep around and don't wash for three years coming out of it with a 'Desmond'.

Also you can join the UAS if it still exists and already be at least the holder of a PPL before you start..

skevans

Flight Sergeant
The chances of joining the RAF as a pilot without a degree are slim to non existent.

There are very few places each year and naturally the RAF will want the best people to fill those places. The RAF will place some emphasise on team skills, interpersonal skils, leadership etc, but it will still expect you to hold a degree to prove that you have the intellectual capacity to learn and retain everything that they will spoon feed you.

skevans said:
The chances of joining the RAF as a pilot without a degree are slim to non existent.

There are very few places each year and naturally the RAF will want the best people to fill those places. The RAF will place some emphasise on team skills, interpersonal skils, leadership etc, but it will still expect you to hold a degree to prove that you have the intellectual capacity to learn and retain everything that they will spoon feed you.

Except of course for the guy who was featured in the early 80's TV docu'soap 'Fighter Pilot' - he was a Milkman !

They tracked him all the way through the series from OASC to him ultimately flying around in his bucaneer in Germany.

I

Interceptor

Monaro said:
I saw on the army DVD that Army Air Corp don't even have to be Officers...

Wow. Imagine that! Non-commissioned types flying aircraft! They'll be letting them drive and operate sewing machines next...

T

trimmer

Mate,

Don't believe everything/anything you read here or elsewhere! There is no requirement to have been a member of a UAS nor to have a degree to become an RAF pilot. What is required is that you must pass the aptitude test and medical requirements and be seen to have potential leadership qualities: remember that you will be selected as an officer first - then a pilot.

Good luck.

trimmer

N

NotFlippinFixed

Very true, you do not have to have a degree.. I haven't, but these days it does help. The UAS is a good way to go, even though the flying has been cut back somewhat. You do get a good look at the RAF and if you don't like it... you still got some free flying and a degree. If you do, join and get promoted faster and thus more dosh.

NFF:cool:

T

tranx

Ok thats rained on my parade a bit. I thought that a degree was not that high a requirement. I've been working at a software development firm as an IT support analyst for the last 2 years since I left college. Will this count for anything in place of a degree? It's not as easy as just going to university for me as by the time I would complete my course I'd be too old for entry as a pilot.

I want to be an officer, will a lot of determination and good leadership/teamwork skills mark me out from the crowd despite the lack of a degree?

N

NotFlippinFixed

Anything you have done will be looked at if you can show how it has developed you as a person, however, only a degree will get you that early promotion and thus more money. A degree is not the be-all and end-all and a determination to succeed will always pay off. Be aware though you may get those difficult questions as to why you did not join straight from school or why did you not get a degree etc etc...

NFF

S

shoutingwind

pilots have degrees? you wouldn't think it looking at some of them- i swear they have to ask their mum's promission to stay up late being only 12 LOL:pDT_Xtremez_28: