• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pics from the cold war

fourteen2two

Corporal
Nice photos.I joined in 71 and spent a few months at Wattisham on holding befor trade training.Lightnings were very impressive.:S

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
The Lightning intake had to be checked on AF. The AI radar 'bullet' presented a problem. Basically, you started at the top and screwed yourself in. We had a WRAF who got a whiff of Avtur, fainted, and sank to the bottom. Female curves meant that pulling her out by her feet was out of the question, she was well and truly stuck. So we had to get someone who could get in by going anti-clockwise and then lift her up and unscrew her at the same time. Happy days.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Lightning intake had to be checked on AF. The AI radar 'bullet' presented a problem. Basically, you started at the top and screwed yourself in. We had a WRAF who got a whiff of Avtur, fainted, and sank to the bottom. Female curves meant that pulling her out by her feet was out of the question, she was well and truly stuck. So we had to get someone who could get in by going anti-clockwise and then lift her up and unscrew her at the same time. Happy days.

Back in the day seems some lads were happy to unscrew a WRAF

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Great photo's.

First time I saw a Lightning (it was actually 3 of them) they did a low-level fly-past and tail-stand for our passing out parade at Swinderby. Loud, very loud...

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Talking about Lightning I was on gate duty at Kinloss on Findhorn side for my sins. As you do the preferable nod off while keeping warm by a 4watt bulb light as my only source. By chance the gentle roar of the Lightning recharged my heart for positive thinking for me to observe the majestic take off of said jet. Merely gazing of how a jet can simply with that much power, just lift it wheels and aim up like a rollercoaster launch to the top was jaw dropping. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Ah the memories... my first posting was Binbrook (Jul '76 - Dec '80); we had the entire Lightning force there and Vulcans and Canberras were regular sights in our sky along with occasional Hunters and Phantoms. I swear I would kill to see another Lightning take-off and go vertical in a clear blue sky until it is out of sight........

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ah the memories... my first posting was Binbrook (Jul '76 - Dec '80); we had the entire Lightning force there and Vulcans and Canberras were regular sights in our sky along with occasional Hunters and Phantoms. I swear I would kill to see another Lightning take-off and go vertical in a clear blue sky until it is out of sight........

And 3/4 Vulcans on SFD taking off and tipping up into a clear midnight sky in January. Nothing better to wake everyone up in a 10 mile radius of the airfield..