• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phase 2 Training at Leconfield

Hello all,

I'm about to start my training for MTD at Leconfield. I keep hearing how much of a **** hole the place is and how it's run by the army blah blah blah so I'm not expecting it to be highlight of my career and hope to get out of there asap! But can anyone who's done the course/been to leconfield give me a brief summary of what to expect in the next couple of months.

I've got a lot of kit to take and my instructions say bring one padlock which makes me think I'll only have one locker, am I going to be living out of an ops bag?

How long are the days in general and will I be able to use a gym in any free time I get?

There's probably more I could ask about but this is all I can think of right now!

Thanks for any responses in advance

Chris.

I was there a few years ago doing a few courses. The padlock is for your wardrobe in a 20 man room. It was roughly 8 to 5 but some days we would get stood down, when this happened we were confined to camp until 5. There is a decent gym to use in the evening. The mess was pretty poor but that's payd all over. I'm not a driver so can't give you any trade specific answers but it seemed everyone was treated the same.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Chris...UNLUCKY!!

At least you will be a better person for the experience and realise how much better we are than the Army.

Was there a few years ago as a JNCO (I'm TG4) so can't say about Phase 2 or MT Driving.

Just bite your tongue and watch your back when you are there. They literally do treat people like children there.

Hopefully another MTD will come along to advise you of specifics for your trade.

Later.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
here is a guide to how inane and puerlie a level the Army operates at.

We are doing a "compressed" course in order to get a Landrover cat B license - compressed mind you.

It's 5 days long.

They cater for the very dimmest of the dim.

Ok so basically standby for plenty of bull**** then, much what I was expecting just be good to get out of there quickly and get my first posting!

Thanks for all your replies.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Ah Leconfield........spent 6 weeks there over 10yr ago as a JT to gain HGV + Hazmat. (Which came in handy for the odd Agency job at the weekend for beer chits).

Anyways, it was full of the bull**** back then with 10 men to a room etc. I was one of 4 RAF with a load of Army........the standard in our education showed immensely.

There was 2 Tongan lads on our course who wrote and spoke better English than the white British recruits, every day you could see the Instructors banging their heads against a brick wall trying to force a little more knowledge (aside from the ability to suck O2 in and breath out) into their thick skulls.

The course could easily have been done in 3 weeks.

Head down, do your course with a smile and keep thinking it isn't forever.