• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phase 2 accommodation

Hi all,

Just been chatting to Mrs KS and thought I would see if anyone could clear something up; am I eligible for MQs in phase 2 training?
I am training as ICT Tech at Cosford and will be there for a year following my completion of Basic.

Just thought I would ask as it would be easier on the family if we were together, although we are fully aware that there may not be a chance of this and that if that's the case we will manage.

Cheers and a happy Hogmany to you all (in advance).

KS

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I would have thought so KS. We have plenty of lads on aircraft trade courses living with their families in FQs whilst on their courses albeit their courses are slightly longer.

Ex Tg3

SAC
JSP464 Part 1

0301. Entitlement Criteria. To be entitled to SFA Service personnel must be:
a. Aged 18 or over, have completed Phase 1 training7
and be serving on a regular
engagement with the UK Armed Forces, or be a Full Commitment (FC) Reservist as
defined in single Service instructions. For those personnel under 18 years of age the
parent unit must accept responsibility for their behaviour until the 18th birthday.
b. In Personal status category (PStatCat) 1 (See footnote8
), 1C, 1S or 2 as defined
in JSP 752, Chapter 1 Section 4.
c. Have at least 6 months to serve at the station where they qualify for SFA apart
from the following exception:​

Excellent, thank you guys. I will get more information at Halton and Cosford I'm sure, but thought I would ask to appease the Mrs.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Excellent, thank you guys. I will get more information at Halton and Cosford I'm sure, but thought I would ask to appease the Mrs.

It's things like this that make E-Goat so valuable. Good luck at Halton/Cosford and in your future career KS, oh and remember to spread the word and don't become a stranger.

TW

I guess from your question that you are just starting out on a either married life and or a career with the boys in light blue and occasionally a rather dashing shade of green. Be advised that the Families Quarters are not managed by the RAF but by a management company who may or may not employ someone who understands your requirement. Cosford has several married patchs, each with its own attraction. If you are in training and perhaps without a vehicle you would be better in the on-site quarters, (other goaters may disagree). However, being on site allows you easy access to all the single guys and girls on your course, it also enables you to be on camp in accordance with your course requirements and to get home easily when there is an early stack or family mini crisis. Off base with no transport puts you at the mercy of the Babcock managed MT Section.

When speaking with the individual allocating housing be polite but firm in your request and don't be fobbed off with the 1st quarter offered. The clerk is invariably trying to clear down her available property and sadly may consider a new-chap a soft touch for the less desirable quarter. Good Luck

It's things like this that make E-Goat so valuable. Good luck at Halton/Cosford and in your future career KS, oh and remember to spread the word and don't become a stranger.

TW

Thanks TW I have found the Goat fantastic since the start of my pursuit to a career in light blue. I definitely won't be a stranger.

I guess from your question that you are just starting out on a either married life and or a career with the boys in light blue and occasionally a rather dashing shade of green. Be advised that the Families Quarters are not managed by the RAF but by a management company who may or may not employ someone who understands your requirement. Cosford has several married patchs, each with its own attraction. If you are in training and perhaps without a vehicle you would be better in the on-site quarters, (other goaters may disagree). However, being on site allows you easy access to all the single guys and girls on your course, it also enables you to be on camp in accordance with your course requirements and to get home easily when there is an early stack or family mini crisis. Off base with no transport puts you at the mercy of the Babcock managed MT Section.

When speaking with the individual allocating housing be polite but firm in your request and don't be fobbed off with the 1st quarter offered. The clerk is invariably trying to clear down her available property and sadly may consider a new-chap a soft touch for the less desirable quarter. Good Luck

Thanks OW. Just about to embark on a career in the light blue. I think I would definitely be looking at on-site quarters for the reasons you mentioned.

Any ideas on the more attractive areas for housing?

Phase 2 accommodation

Unfortunately not the on site ones, the ones just down the road in Albrighton are larger. Seriously the ones in ANY street starting with a V are minuscule. I don't know if you have any children, because if it's just you and your wife these are probably where you'll end up accommodated. Just bare in mind not all married quarters are that poor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Unfortunately not the on site ones, the ones just down the road in Albrighton are larger. Seriously the ones in ANY street starting with a V are minuscule. I don't know if you have any children, because if it's just you and your wife these are probably where you'll end up accommodated. Just bare in mind not all married quarters are that poor.

I had a quarter on site, as a recently married couple with one child it was perfectly acceptable and a decent size. I forget the name of the road as it was nearly 20 years ago. The lads on my course who got the rentals in Albrighton were very happy with theirs.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi all,

Just been chatting to Mrs KS and thought I would see if anyone could clear something up; am I eligible for MQs in phase 2 training?
I am training as ICT Tech at Cosford and will be there for a year following my completion of Basic.

Just thought I would ask as it would be easier on the family if we were together, although we are fully aware that there may not be a chance of this and that if that's the case we will manage.

Cheers and a happy Hogmany to you all (in advance).

KS

Playing devils advocate here but is it worth moving them for what realistically could be 11 months? How old are your kids (school age?), how far away is the family from Cosford now?

I offer this train of thought to you as sometimes in phase 2 training living in quarters can isolate you from the group learning/revising going on in the block after lessons.

I took a quarter at Cranwell during my professional training and ended up biking onto camp most nights to take part in the much needed group revision sessions...I also felt left out when they finished and people headed for the bar and a wash-up sharpener and I had to set off back to 'home'. Plus you'll barely get unpacked before you're putting it all back into boxes again...just a thought!

Playing devils advocate here but is it worth moving them for what realistically could be 11 months? How old are your kids (school age?), how far away is the family from Cosford now?

I offer this train of thought to you as sometimes in phase 2 training living in quarters can isolate you from the group learning/revising going on in the block after lessons.

I took a quarter at Cranwell during my professional training and ended up biking onto camp most nights to take part in the much needed group revision sessions...I also felt left out when they finished and people headed for the bar and a wash-up sharpener and I had to set off back to 'home'. Plus you'll barely get unpacked before you're putting it all back into boxes again...just a thought!

I completely understand the train of thought Vim, I have 2 wee ones; one at school and the other nursery. It was just a thought in terms of being able to head home to see them at weekends wont be overly possible due to affordability (we are down in Wilts so about 2-3hr drive) and lack of transport. This coupled with the years less rent charges (well lets just say the rent and utility will be roughly around £800 less a month for my family to come with me).

I understand the extra learning and 'socializing' aspect of it and so does my wife, its more the case that the kids will have me there (and I will have them) for weekends and some evening. We both understand that the years study will be just that, a year where I will have to knuckle down. But its was just a thought at the moment, a fact finding mission if you will.

I had a quarter on site, as a recently married couple with one child it was perfectly acceptable and a decent size. I forget the name of the road as it was nearly 20 years ago. The lads on my course who got the rentals in Albrighton were very happy with theirs.

Cheers Ghandi, I have 2 little ones so would hope for 3-4 bed (not holding out much hope mind but worth a try). I'll bear that in mind about the streets starting with V haha.

Thanks MR, sounds like Albrighton might be the way forward but not going to discard on site if its offered. Just need to wait and see I suppose (that's if we decide that this is the best route to take).

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well mate, my opinion for what its worth, is exactly what Vim said, you'll miss out on a lot of professional and social activity by being in Quarters, so I would think about it a bit more.

However, it's easy for us to say anything on the forum, because we don't have to pay your rent, and of course it would be harder to see your kids due to distance and finances.

I know when I went through, there were a couple of guys in Quarters, but it was a few years ago now, so I'm not sure what the current situation is.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cheers Ghandi, I have 2 little ones so would hope for 3-4 bed (not holding out much hope mind but worth a try). I'll bear that in mind about the streets starting with V haha.

Thanks MR, sounds like Albrighton might be the way forward but not going to discard on site if its offered. Just need to wait and see I suppose (that's if we decide that this is the best route to take).

Depending on age and sex you might only get a 2 bedroom. There's no way you'll get a 4 bedroom. Unless things have changed.

Depending on age and sex you might only get a 2 bedroom. There's no way you'll get a 4 bedroom. Unless things have changed.

I'd imagine getting a three bedroom should be no issue. After all MHS get more rent from you if you have a bigger house. Didn't realise you had two kids, some of the on site three bedroom houses are ok, if you can get one across the A41 near the Sgt Mess they're generally even better.

sk8dave88

LAC
With 2 kids your entitlement will be a 3 bed and you can ask for over entitlement to a four bed which you may or may not get.

Well mate, my opinion for what its worth, is exactly what Vim said, you'll miss out on a lot of professional and social activity by being in Quarters, so I would think about it a bit more.

However, it's easy for us to say anything on the forum, because we don't have to pay your rent, and of course it would be harder to see your kids due to distance and finances.

I know when I went through, there were a couple of guys in Quarters, but it was a few years ago now, so I'm not sure what the current situation is.

Thanks MP, lots of decisions to make, I think I will leave it with the Mrs to mull over while I head off to Basic (probably find out some more information there). I think I would have to make sure she knew that there will be lots of professional and social activities which I will need to attend for the sake of work and my studies etc. I think the main thing behind it is the kids (and wife) being away from me (and vice versa) for the year. In an ideal world I would have another little run around and be able to come back on the weekend, but unfortunately we don't.

Thanks for all your input guys, it does make a difference in terms of; if,when,where in terms of moving to Cosford.