• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pers (Spt) & CIPD

LilStill

Sergeant
Afternoon fellow scribblies. I'm after your advice on CIPD qualifications.

I am in a position, throughout the next couple of years, to spend some quality time on education. I have a number of options open and attractive to me; however the one for which I am least informed is CIPD-accrediated qualifications.

If I were to pursue a HR qualification, it would be with a continued RAF career in mind. To my mind, that makes the Level 3/Foundation qualifications worthless. I've seen a few posts on here in the past debating the merits between Level 5 and Level 7 - but I got the distinct impression, not knowing most of you, that discussion was between people who are SNCO+/HR Business Partners in the real world.

As an SAC, about 3-4 years served, I think the Level 5 HR Management is at the ideal level and the Level 7 an aspiration for the future if/when I'm looking at SNCO. Anyone well-versed in CIPD, your opinions please?

Thanks!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Lil,

I'm not a big fan of the CIPD as an organisation but have to admit if you are wanting to get anywhere in HR in the civi world then you need to have those for little letters on your CV.

In my own opinion the level 5, bachelors level, qualification just isn't worth the time, effort and money especially if you already have a degree.

If you undertake the level 7 course, which isn't that much harder than studying at level 5, you will have to spend a little bit more money, however once you've done the course you can call yourself Fully Qualified and apply to become a chartered member. Both of these terms on your CV will be a huge boost to your employability, then if you spend a little bit more and lose another 6 months of your life you can complete the MA or MSc top up and you'll never have to set foot in an FE establishment again.

If you go down the level 5 route you will eventually find yourself upgrading, and paying again, if you want genuine Manager/Business Partner roles in the future.

If you've got the nounce to pass a level 5 course you should be able to pass a level 7, I left school with only a couple of O levels yet only just missed out on a distinguished pass for my MA.

Rather surprisingly you might find the Level 3 course useful as a guide you an insight into the Civi world HR basics.

If you've got any other questions drop me a PM

Last edited:
As an ex Sgt pers admin who has been out for 8 years on cipd no hr jobs. Unless it's only there inbred yellow bellies who insist on that!

If you want to work in h r in Lincolnshire best you get certified or you won't even be allowed to lick envelopes!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think he means, if you want a good chance of getting into HR you'll need the letters CIPD on your CV, application form, Taleo or LinkedIn profile if you want to make it past the first sift.