• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Perfect Storm?

4everAD

Sergeant
So if I've got it right the following are all going to hit us over the next few months:
  • Increased National Insurance contributions for all.
  • 75% will be paying significantly more for their Quarters.
  • New pay model.
  • Tax credits cut/removed completely.
  • New meaner pension.
  • SDSR coming with reduced redundancy payments.
  • Reduced life time allowance for pensions.
  • 1% pay rise if we're lucky.
Have I missed anything else? Because some people are going to be hundreds pounds a month worse off, I hope that the MOD news website will inform service personnel, that's if they can find space amongst the "Join the Reserves" rubbish.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Thats the thing, how much are quarters actually going to cost? Are we going to see 'no go' stations where people won't want to go because the quarters are overly expensive compared with others?

Whats going to happen to SLA charges?

chumpzilla

Sergeant
So if I've got it right the following are all going to hit us over the next few months:
  • New pay model.
  • New meaner pension.
Have I missed anything else? Because some people are going to be hundreds pounds a month worse off, I hope that the MOD news website will inform service personnel, that's if they can find space amongst the "Join the Reserves" rubbish.

Can you clarify the bit about pensions old bean? The reduced life time allowance I mean

Digzster

Sergeant
  • New pay model.
  • New meaner pension.

To think, this was just a few of the reasons that I jumped ship! - Well done me

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Thanks Downsizer, just got me all confuddled for a minute then....

On a different note, relating to the trades comment... I can see a lot of folk jumping ship if the new pay scheme doesn't fall in line with what people hope! I can see a few people who have already served pensionable service pushing the big red button....

4everAD

Sergeant
Downsized,

£30 a month yes that is supposed to be the Max increase per year until it reaches the new level. Don't forget the propaganda also promised we would pay £500 a year less for our gas/electric due to thermal improvement's by 2017ish. I don't believe a single word of their spin, once they change the charges they'll increase the monthly rent as they deem fit (who's going to stop them?).

4everAD

Sergeant
Not now, but maybe I've worded it somit sounds different!

I'll try again:

Rent goes up from £150 to £280 (maximum grade 1 charge).
First year goes to £180
Second year goes to £210
And so on, any new resident takes on the increases at the point you left it.

Quarters rent has been cheap in reality.

just grab a local paper and see what the local rents are like.

Generally nowt cheaper than 550 a month in the Midlands and that's for something that's nothing that good either.

mortgages...... Certainly more.

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Quarters rent has been cheap in reality.

just grab a local paper and see what the local rents are like.

Generally nowt cheaper than 550 a month in the Midlands and that's for something that's nothing that good either.

mortgages...... Certainly more.

Agreed. They are cheap, but why? I'm guessing it's because of the nomadic nature of our job... I beg to wager that many other jobs would not see you up sticks every few years because of "company need" or congratulations "Big Trev", you have gone up one rung on the promotion ladder.... Now off you pop to the other side of the country, there's a good egg! Not that I'm affected as I am fortunate enough to have my own digs, but I'm arguing the easy statement that you made.

Easy statement ? Fact !

And I work for a government department now, in incidently a very mobile grade.

i have been promoted in my role and did not get

disturbance allowance
removals paid for and hotel expenses to facilitate the move which is currently paid. ( don't disagree with it, it's good, but you will be very hard pressed to find employers outside that will allow you the time to move let alone pay for it now )

just a take it or leave it choice and sort out how you get to work and were you live.

just one other thing, if you do not move out of SFA when you leave the military and are no longer entitled to live there, the rent doubles ........................... To the market value.

the reason I said what I said is its FACT.

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Easy statement ? Fact !

And I work for a government department now, in incidently a very mobile grade.

i have been promoted in my role and did not get

disturbance allowance
removals paid for and hotel expenses to facilitate the move which is currently paid. ( don't disagree with it, it's good, but you will be very hard pressed to find employers outside that will allow you the time to move let alone pay for it now )

just a take it or leave it choice and sort out how you get to work and were you live.

just one other thing, if you do not move out of SFA when you leave the military and are no longer entitled to live there, the rent doubles ........................... To the market value.

the reason I said what I said is its FACT.

Not denying the facts... Just said it was easy to say these things. Just like it's easy to say "if you don't like it, PVR..."

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
But don't forget (unless things have changed in recent years) you don't pay rent for SFA, you pay a charge. The difference being that rent would get you various benefits such as protected tenancy etc that limit rent increases and mean you can't be kicked out at the landlord's whim.

gray

Sergeant
But don't forget (unless things have changed in recent years) you don't pay rent for SFA, you pay a charge. The difference being that rent would get you various benefits such as protected tenancy etc that limit rent increases and mean you can't be kicked out at the landlord's whim.

Having done it earlier this year, it's a charge for trespass. They could have worded it nicer - Sh1t the wife up !