• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pension claim - noise induced hearing loss.

steve811

LAC
In 2000, I left the service after 23 years as an armourer. In 1982 I was told I had lost part of my hearing (11% if I remember correctly) due to noise. Last year ( October 2014) I lodged a claim for a payment under the War Pensions Scheme for compensation for that damage. In December last year I had a letter from SPVA telling me I might need to have a medical. Today I get a letter saying I won't get anything because my hearing loss is "less than 1%" and "my disablement has been certified as nil". This is without ever seeing a doctor and never been assessed! I will appeal but does anyone have any experience of this type of claim?

Ronsuddes

SAC
Pension Claim - Noise induced hearing loss

Pension Claim - Noise induced hearing loss

In 2000, I left the service after 23 years as an armourer. In 1982 I was told I had lost part of my hearing (11% if I remember correctly) due to noise. Last year ( October 2014) I lodged a claim for a payment under the War Pensions Scheme for compensation for that damage. In December last year I had a letter from SPVA telling me I might need to have a medical. Today I get a letter saying I won't get anything because my hearing loss is "less than 1%" and "my disablement has been certified as nil". This is without ever seeing a doctor and never been assessed! I will appeal but does anyone have any experience of this type of claim?

Go to your GP and ask to be referred to Specsavers for NHS Hearing Aids. The audiologist will give you copies of your hearing test for submission to the Veterans Agency. Did you fire rifles without eardefenders as they were not available? If you haven't had a test how do they know what your hearing loss is? If you come up against a brick-wall copy your letters to your MP - Government Departments flag correspondence when an MP is involved.

NHS hearing aids are much better than private; they are free including the batteries. Good luck with your claim.

steve811

LAC
Thanks, will book a G appointment (probably 2016 with my GP!) and see what happens. I get the feeling they throw out well over half the claims with this excuse and many don't get very far. At least if I get a hearing test I know where I am.

Thanks, will book a G appointment (probably 2016 with my GP!) and see what happens. I get the feeling they throw out well over half the claims with this excuse and many don't get very far. At least if I get a hearing test I know where I am.

I tried the same, as an ex mtd I had spent a lot of time on flight lines and was actually removed from them as my hearing had gone down on hearing conservation checks to where I had lost most of my hearing in all the high pitches.
i also spent a lot of time towing victors and Vulcans wearing the radio headsets that whined, sometimes upto 5 hours on compass swings. I also have scarring on my left eardrum where it was punctured.

i had the same reply from them after a check by Atos in 2010 I left in 2005. Saying it was down to age and not my service basically.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
From what I was told it was hard to get a hearing claim through because the loss has to significant, as we all lose our hearing with age, the hearing loss is compared with the same standard of hearing of other people your age, not the hearing you had when you joined up.

All WP claims are assessed in this way, whether it's your knees, hips or general mobility, the comparator is a similar person without the disability, not a young fit person otherwise we'll all be quids in.

Ronsuddes

SAC
Pension Claim - Noise induced hearing loss.

Pension Claim - Noise induced hearing loss.

Go to your GP and ask to be referred to Specsavers for NHS Hearing Aids. The audiologist will give you copies of your hearing test for submission to the Veterans Agency. Did you fire rifles without eardefenders as they were not available? If you haven't had a test how do they know what your hearing loss is? If you come up against a brick-wall copy your letters to your MP - Government Departments flag correspondence when an MP is involved.

NHS hearing aids are much better than private; they are free including the batteries. Good luck with your claim.

May I suggest when you have the information you contact either RAFA or Royal British Legion they both have Medical Experts who will not be fobbed off by the Veterans Agency.

matkat

SAC
Got the same reply in the 90s(less than 1%) and that was after a medical, though later I had a company medical who stated(I was 35 at the time) you have the hearing of a 70 year old the one thing that could not be fudged was my knees that are 20% disability.