• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Penlee Lifeboat disaster

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
December 2021 marks 40 years since the loss of the RNLI Penlee crew in December 1981.

In March 1981 the crew of the Penlee lifeboat rescued, in the bleak and rainy early hours during very stormy weather, the yacht Hydair. The yacht was crewed by six members of the RAF from RAF ST. Athan. One of those six RAF bods was yours truly. I will be forever grateful to the Penlee crew and I always will remember them.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
December 2021 marks 40 years since the loss of the RNLI Penlee crew in December 1981.

In March 1981 the crew of the Penlee lifeboat rescued, in the bleak and rainy early hours during very stormy weather, the yacht Hydair. The yacht was crewed by six members of the RAF from RAF ST. Athan. One of those six RAF bods was yours truly. I will be forever grateful to the Penlee crew and I always will remember them.
Was it your fault then? 😂👍

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Was it your fault then? 😂👍
No it wasn'to_O.
Very much abbreviated version. At a dark, rainy, approx 1 o'clock in the morning in about a force 7 or 8 off the Cornish coast the rudder snapped off. So no steerage just bobbin in the oggin with no control heading for rocks, prompting an "interesting sphincter twitching" few hours in the dark. Whilst heading for what seemed certain doom we did at least manage to brew up. Then the lifeboat appeared out of the gloom and all was well. 4 of us transferred to the life boat and they brewed up for us as well, winner.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If you ever get chance, listen to the recording of the radio conversations between the coastguards, the helo & the lifeboat in the final few minutes. The last few moments are utterly blood chilling when all that can be heard is the coasties repeatedly calling the boat and receiving no response.....

My son is a long-standing member of our local lifeboat crew and has responded to calls on many a stormy day & night; every time he goes in such weather the last messages to, and silence from, the Solomon Browne echo through my mind....