• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pat King- Harrier Pilot and Wittering CO

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Heard belatedly through another source that Pat King, CO at RAF Wittering in the mid 80s and one of lifes true gents passed away last November. Some officers etch themselves into your memory for the wrong reasons, Gp Cpt King did so for all the right ones and I've never heard a word uttered against the guy.
One morning I'd been to the cleaning bath at HSF from the OCU with an outrigger leg and was wheeling it back to our hangar down the peri-track when the COs car, flag a-fluttering, pulled up alongside me and out jumped Gp Cpt King. Here you go Cpl, stick that in here and I'll give you a lift he said, opening the pristinely carpeted boot of the car.
Er, are you sure sir....yes, yes, it gets cleaned anyway he replies.
OK. So in goes the outrigger and young denims clad Cpl PSB leaps into the passenger seat and has a nice chat with the big man back to the OC where the looks of incredulity as we pulled up and heaved the outrigger out of his car boot were a sight to behold.
RIP sir, one in a million.

Mustang

Corporal
Do you have more precise dates for his tenure in Wittering? I left there in July 84 and I must admit I cannot remember who was CO. I can only remember a few of the pilots on 1 (F) Sqn.

Johned

SAC

Only just seen this thread. Was at school with Pat and as a lad was a true gent in the making. They never made many like him!