• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Passport Officer/Civil Service

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just after any opinions on what it's like to work in the civil service and in particular HMPO as a passport officer.....

Obviously I've worked with MOD Civil Servants but I'm guessing the wider civil service is different....? Any views....?

And as to passport officer jobs, the advert seems appealing, but I'm guessing it isn't all milk and honeyy....?

MTIA.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'm sure MWD will be along shortly to fill you in on the milk and honey opportunity :-D!! Can't surely be as bad as the HGV opportunities floating around right now can it???? :-D

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I’ve done a couple of short stints with civi government, doesn’t suit me, found the organisational pace too slow.

Don’t go thinking it’s like being in mob.

However if you want an easy ride to retirement and to build up a, still nice, second pension then it might be for you.

MWD is the perfect person to let you know about the role, you might even end up on his team.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I’ve done a couple of short stints with civi government, doesn’t suit me, found the organisational pace too slow. Don’t go thinking it’s like being in mob.
However if you want an easy ride to retirement and to build up a, still nice, second pension then it might be for you.
My Personal view. It is a slower pace of life, way less stress. However I found it much more PC than the mob, to easy to upset a snowflake without realising that the little cherub was even bothered by your witty quip. I agree with Busby it can be an easy ride to retirement and another pension to add to the pot. Depends on you how brightly the flame of ambition still burns or if your ambition is now more of a pilot light that glows quietly in the background.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Things move slow in the Civil Service and those who have talent and the desire to chase the money (with the corresponding pound of flesh to give) get snapped up pretty quickly by Industry.

Both sides have their heroes and zeroes when it comes to work ethic, commitment to the mission, lateral thinking, leadership & management and actual ability but in the main the ex-service run rings around the civvies.

What lets the civil service down and what is damn frustrating at times is the red tape & bureaucracy, the 'one brick deep' in many areas with no hand over / take over process, the form filling for form fillings sake, the empire building and above all else......the fucking dweebs in the Commercial stream! 🙄

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Don’t know about passport officers but I did a stint in Lagos an an Entry Clearance Officer for UKBA/ FCO…worse job I ever did and that’s including cleaning toilets in a school!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Just after any opinions on what it's like to work in the civil service and in particular HMPO as a passport officer.....

Obviously I've worked with MOD Civil Servants but I'm guessing the wider civil service is different....? Any views....?

And as to passport officer jobs, the advert seems appealing, but I'm guessing it isn't all milk and honeyy....?

MTIA.
Is it for you or for someone you know? We are currently recruiting passport officers for all sites - there is a general advert on CS jobs for 65 I think, but 17 are earmarked for Peterborough where I work. Yes, you are right in that you could end up in my team!

Happy to answer specific questions via PM.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is it for you or for someone you know? We are currently recruiting passport officers for all sites - there is a general advert on CS jobs for 65 I think, but 17 are earmarked for Peterborough where I work. Yes, you are right in that you could end up in my team!

Happy to answer specific questions via PM.

For me. Thinking of banging out.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Get out of the HM scene. if you are half intelligent, you will go far. Ensure you have a management piece of paper to wave.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Get out of the HM scene. if you are half intelligent, you will go far. Ensure you have a management piece of paper to wave.
Some people reach a time of life where they dont need to sell their soul for a few more ££.

Some people actually believe in public service, whether its military or CS.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Some people reach a time of life where they dont need to sell their soul for a few more ££.

Our current Project Manager is a testement to this. He spent years as a contractor earning the big money, working all hours for 6-8 months then buggering off somewhere around the world to rest. With many tales of woe, three failed marriages, a distant relationship with his daughter, an ever expanding waistline and a chronic heart condition to show for it that is something I'm simply not into.

I'll happily earn a nice but modest amount for my work and have a happier work / life balance any day of the week.