• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oscars 2017

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
It's that time of year again folks when this year's Oscars nominations are made. Personally, I don't think the last 12 months has been what you could call a classic year for cinema and IMHO, the best films have been more independent offerings or films that haven't been nominated. My personal favourites this year have been Eye in The Sky (Alan Rickman's final film for which he should have been BAFTA nominated), Hail Caesar!, Sully, Anthropoid to name but a few.

However this year's noms for the big awards are:

BEST PICTURE

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

WH's Choice: La La Land has this sewn up. The film itself is not actually that good, but it harks back to a golden age of Hollywood which those high up in cinema absolutely love. I saw it quite recently and actually enjoyed it despite it not being the best. Hacksaw Ridge is a worthy nomination and Manchester By The Sea may be worth an outside punt.

BEST ACTOR

Casey Affleck (Manchester By the Sea)
Andrew Garfield (Hacksaw Ridge)
Ryan Gosling (La La Land)
Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic)
Denzel Washington (Fences)

WH's Choice: Ryan Gosling, for the reasons stated above. Despite the fact he cannot sing or dance for toffee, he brings a Gene Kelly-esque quality to the film that seems to work. However, Andrew Garfield makes an exemplary performance for Hacksaw Ridge which could see him as a worthy winner as an outside punt.

BEST ACTRESS

Isabelle Huppert (Elle)
Ruth Negga (Loving)
Emma Stone (La La Land)
Natalie Portman (Jackie)
Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)

WH's Choice: It would be easy to say Emma Stone but this one's going to Natalie Portman for her portrayal of Jackie Kennedy which is just sheer quality.

BEST DIRECTOR

Denis Villeneuve (Arrival)
Mel Gibson (Hacksaw Ridge)
Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
Kenneth Lonergan (Manchester By the Sea)
Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)

WH's Choice: He may be defined by anti-semetic drunken rambling and generally being off of his trolley, but this could be the year in which Mel Gibson finds Hollywood redemption. However, Kenneth Lonergan would be a worthy winner also. But it's Mel's year.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
Lucas Hedges (Manchester By the Sea)
Dev Patel (Lion)
Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)

WH's Choice: It's a tricky one this one as, personally, I don't think there's a stand out winner. I haven't seen Hell or High Water so I can't comment on Bridges, though I have read good things about it. I am going to plump for Dev Patel for Lion.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Viola Davis (Fences)
Naomie Harris (Moonlight)
Nicole Kidman (Lion)
Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)
Michelle Williams (Manchester By the Sea)

WH's Choice: Naomie Harris is superlative in Moonlight and Nicole Kidman is likewise, however Michelle Williams is a stand-out winner for this one. She brings an raw, emotional performance that makes you feel every ounce of pain in her character - a great effort.