• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ops Officer bashing

• Thread starter What's the bloody point?
  • Start date
W

What's the bloody point?

Had an Ops Officer here yesterday and he asked me why we didn't have an Ops Officer on the squadron. I said I would get back to him.

Any ideas? I couldn't think of one reason!

Just saying.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
The rule of thumb I always use is :

1 SAC FOA = 2 OpsO's
1 Cpl FOA = 3 OpsO's
1 Sgt FOM = 5 OpsO's
1 FS FOM = 6 OpsO's
PFOM = there are not enough OpsO's in the RAF to equal this.

So say you are not prepared to accept a drop in standards or reduce the Sqn output to accomodate them.

Or you could just tell the truth and tell him that he's sh1t. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

You should have told him that you already had enough aircrew to make tea and an Ops Officer would just get in the way!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

The rule of thumb I always use is :

1 SAC FOA = 2 OpsO's
1 Cpl FOA = 3 OpsO's
1 Sgt FOM = 5 OpsO's
1 FS FOM = 6 OpsO's
PFOM = there are not enough OpsO's in the RAF to equal this.

So say you are not prepared to accept a drop in standards or reduce the Sqn output to accomodate them.

Or you could just tell the truth and tell him that he's sh1t. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Outstanding!!!! Hit the nail on the head.........(feel free to substitute OpsO's head for nail):pDT_Xtremez_30:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Had an Ops Officer here yesterday and he asked me why we didn't have an Ops Officer on the squadron. I said I would get back to him.

Any ideas? I couldn't think of one reason!

Just saying.

Are you on a Tonka Sqn? They have a well fecked-up Ops manning - 2 SNCOs and 1 SAC. Where is the command structure in that? Who is i/c - the longest-serving on the Sqn, or the more senior SNCO?

At least with an OpsO, a Cpl and a couple of SACs, you know who the i/c is.

opsgeek

IC Tea's and Key's
Are you on a Tonka Sqn? They have a well fecked-up Ops manning - 2 SNCOs and 1 SAC. Where is the command structure in that? Who is i/c - the longest-serving on the Sqn, or the more senior SNCO?

............the Cpl

W

What's the bloody point?

No I am not.

And I belive the post after yours highlighted, in a nutshell, who was i/c!!!

D

Donald Rumsfeld

Please leave the Ops Officers alone. They are a bunch of hard working professionals that are much maligned by aircrew and trade group 9 as a whole. You should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves to what essentailly amounts to bullying and harassment.
Then again I could be lying !

PS a PFOM is worth at least 15 of the useless grubby retreads from other branches, useless feckers the lot of !!!!. Rant over.

W

What's the bloody point?

Please leave the Ops Officers alone. They are a bunch of hard working professionals that are much maligned by aircrew and trade group 9 as a whole. You should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves to what essentailly amounts to bullying and harassment.
Then again I could be lying !

PS a PFOM is worth at least 15 of the useless grubby retreads from other branches, useless feckers the lot of !!!!. Rant over.

Had me there for a moment!

sooms

LAC
The Gr4 Sqn Manning is a leftover from the days of Tornado having a nuclear strike role. Initially, the Tornado strike Sqns ( both RAFG and 1Gp) had 2 Sgt's and 1 SAC, the recce sqns had 2 Cpl and one SAC.

When the RAFG Sqn's relocated back to UK and we lost the WE177 all the Sqns standardised on 2 Sgt/ 1 SAC.

From experience, the current establishment is wrong- there is very little difference between the Sgt and SAC job on a GR4 Sqn, only the pay. This results in low job satisfaction for the Sgts and limited opportunity to display leadership/ management etc..

As a result of an RIE done on my Sqn about 3 years ago, we recommended a structure of 1 Sgt, 1 Cpl, 2 SAC per Sqn but were told that there was no way the trade would allow a reduction in Sgts and the establishment of new Cpl posts. End result was that nothing changed.

I understand that the LOS Sqns are going through this at the moment?

H

Hammer

Ive got first class Flt Lt and Sqn Ldr OpsO's, perhaps some of the more experienced SNCO's should guide the less experienced OpsO's rather than watch them fail.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Ive got first class Flt Lt and Sqn Ldr OpsO's, perhaps some of the more experienced SNCO's should guide the less experienced OpsO's rather than watch them fail.

Stated without a hint of irony, well done. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

FOMz

Warrant Officer

But what of those that think they know better and won't listen? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Give them KPI stats and a nice Powerpoint presentation to tug themselves over, and they'll be happy.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I can't comment - because they don't work for me ;)

There are one or two very good ones out there, but unfortunately its always the plebs that you remember...and there are quite a few of them out there.