• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Once upon a time at Halton... my time at PRTC, November 2011.

LilStill

Sergeant
Copied from another thread per request. Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions. I'll answer if I can, if not I know a few of the RTS instructors lurk these forums and will weigh in if appropriate.

PRTC was very interesting, as expected, and a bit of a shock to the system. I'm not entirely sure what's supposed to be in the public domain - so I will stick to what I know is public through the AFCO's and my experience of that.

Day 1 begins with Admin and an introduction. This is self explanatory and takes all morning. Simples. Lunch is followed by the RAFFT which, to my knowledge, is 100% standard on all three areas as of yesterday.

The fitness test is mildly challenging if you've done training beforehand. I personally did my own fitness training of running, pushups and situps from the start of my application until medical and fitness pass. Since then I've continued my own work on pushups and situps - I've also been a member of BMF (www.britmilfit.com) since that time. Can't recommend enough if BMF is in your area, it's certainly taken me beyond what I had previously thought was my physical and mental wall, and actually makes fitness quite fun. Above all on the RAFFT - please want to be in the RAF! I spent my PJFT muttering "I cannot work in retail for 40 years" and "Per ardua, you ****, now get a career". Got funny looks from the fitness instructor running the test - and for good reason! Hope's a short rope and I was lucky to pass. Get your fitness sorted and have that mental goal of 'I want to be in the RAF' to back that up.

The Fitness Test is followed by a pass/fail English and Maths assessment which I did not find too difficult. It scales to your trade and the AFCO have info. Use the Functional Skills studying materials (www.raf.mod.uk/rafhalton -> About Us -> Station Role -> RTS -> Pre-Study Pages) and be comfortable with them. Again it is not particularly difficult provided you have done a bit of work before you arrive, and be calm and confident walking into the room. Preparation is key!

Days 2 and 3 are a mixture of briefings and working on your Functional Skills assessments - similar advice to the assessment above however these are not pass/fail at time of writing, instead you may be brought to RTS earlier for remedial. There is also a cleanup of your barrack block.

Day 2 is also the day for your boot issue. The advice given is excellent and my boots fit very, very comfortably with no issues so far only 4 days after flying back. My only advice is to take your time at fitting, making sure you have the right pair. You are encouraged, and I encourage you to give different sizes a try if you have doubt. I certainly went sizes 1, 2 and 3 (for example) before discovering that 2 was indeed correct. It's in nobodies interest for you to have ruined feet.

Also make sure you have room for the damn things! One of the guys flying with me had to check them in as hand luggage at Luton - you know who you are and the looks you received! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

General Advice?

I enjoyed PRTC and I learned a lot. I got a reasonable introduction into the service and life on a camp. I know the basics of what is expected of me, and what I can expect of the RAF. I feel - aside from folding my arms once in the gym (hint: don't do that!) - I did pretty well. But.

You're joining the military. Please don't be a **** and have some common sense - some of the things said and done nearly had my head in my hands.

A few people arrived in very casual clothing. You haven't attested and when you do attest you'll be expected to be smart. If you want to attest remember that every stage of the process is part of a job application! Everything you do is an interview. Be smart, be (very) punctual and play the game how it's put to you. Quote 'Do what you're told, when you're told, how you're told.' Really simple concept that as a group my PRTC suffered on. None of our instructions were unclear at any point, and if they were we had fair chance to query. Work as a team and do what you're told.

Don't get down. It's a strange new world. I was a bit freaked out by signs reading 'Give Way to Marching Troops'. :pDT_Xtremez_26: PRTC involves jumping into this strange new world where you're expected to be on top form all the time, every time - and you will receive a high-volume one-way conversation if you're not. I guarantee you the PRTC staff are human. Our Corporal's were fantastic - getting stuck in with a bit of banter where appropriate, keeping us informed where needed, donning the RTS Instructor cap at times, and once or twice turning into Windsor Davies on us. The latter 3 are their job and can be weird when you're trying to find your feet. PRTC and RTC has an aim. Your job is to meet that aim, and theirs is to kick/shout/help you there as appropriate. Also described, all over this forum as, 'play the game.'
Repeating myself - if you're on the wrong end of a bollocking it's because you need it. The Cpl's are human and gave us their human side when we earned it. I had very little to do with the SNCO but did witness him having a bit of a grin at one of the groups in a team-build exercise.

You can't afford to come to Halton with an ego - and remember why you're there. Everything you do is getting you from your smart suit, into your coveralls, into your CS95, into your blues and then onto that Parade Square with the Tornado watching at one end and your massively proud family at the other.