• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Old" reservists in Regiment

sapper

LAC
Whilst looking at different trades in Auggies I was surprised to see that the Regiment take blokes up to 50 years old. Can anyone enlightenment me how this works in practice. I know that the Auggies entrance test is something like an 80lb Bergen over 4 km where the regular will do twice the distance. But what happens when the said reservist is called up? Is he then simply expected to perform the same as his twenty something full time colleagues? I would love to be able to get to that level of fitness, but at 40 it would be very difficult. There would be nothing worse than be considered to be a liability.
Can someone also please clarify what the expected fitness levels are for Regiment Auggies on paper and it reality.
Thanks.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
hello Sapper

hello Sapper

All I can say is that there is only one standard expected from members of the RAF Regt.

There is no leeway for oldies and whilst fitness may not be an issue, recovering from an injury may well be.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Whilst looking at different trades in Auggies I was surprised to see that the Regiment take blokes up to 50 years old. Can anyone enlightenment me how this works in practice. I know that the Auggies entrance test is something like an 80lb Bergen over 4 km where the regular will do twice the distance. But what happens when the said reservist is called up? Is he then simply expected to perform the same as his twenty something full time colleagues? I would love to be able to get to that level of fitness, but at 40 it would be very difficult. There would be nothing worse than be considered to be a liability.
Can someone also please clarify what the expected fitness levels are for Regiment Auggies on paper and it reality.
Thanks.

Yep I assume they are
T.A. when they go on ops are expected to pass an 8 mile CFT before they leave Chilwell to go their unit
Once at unit you just slot in as per your rank
Although on unit runs in theatre there was no difference made to age or rank both regular and T.A

I was told last week that at the recent training for the next 16AA tour about 60 blokes were called up from various T.A. Para units
Despite passing Chilwell about 40 have been RTU'd as stated alot of the problems with being older is recovery time if your injured

There are more than a few gunners over the age of 40 on my auggie squadron, so dont think that it cant be done. However, although the fitness level required as an auggie is lower, in practice they always aim to achieve the same fitness levels as regulars. If you can't operate at the same level on deployments then you are not going to get selected to go.
There is also the option of joining in the Auxiliary 'Force Protection' role which does not require the same level of fitness, but you wont get to wear the mudguards either.