• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Officer fitness off my own bat

T

Tippo

Ok so I'm thinking of going for RAF legal officer after I qualify as a solicitor (2nd year law undergrad at the moment). I keep a pretty decent level of fitness (covered 7.2 miles in 1 hour 12 last week, generally hit the gym twice a week too) but I figure since I'm at it I may as well train to RAF officer fitness standards. I've tried using the 'text trainer' on the website, hasn't worked, so has anyone got any books/web pages etc that can give me a training regime? Cheers

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
No easy way to do it - just get your trainers on & get out running. When you've finished, lie on the floor & do a load of sit-ups, roll over & do a load of press-ups.

Simple enough for you ??

tag_lincoln

Corporal
The llink above is the minimum requirement for airman/woman entry and whilst it might get you through OASC selection, Initial Officer Training has much higher standards. It changes slightly quite often but as a guide if you can do 1 1/2 miles in under 10 minutes, reach level 10.8 on the bleep test and do 35 press ups and 35 sit ups before you get to OASC then you will be ahead of the game. The minimum levels are lower than this (but not as low as airman entry) but those who only just make the minimum are a, more susceptible to injury b, more exhausted and tired so have less energy to apply brain power to problems and c, are generally regarded as the biffs by the staff and other cadets. The latter is obviously just personal pride but the first 2 can effect your ability to pass the course.

Therefore for a training regime if you don't want to employ a personal trainer is to put your trainers on and get pounding the parks and streets of where you study (don't overdo it on concrete initially and give yourself an impact injury). When you get back from your run have a quick stretch then do your press ups and sit ups (with only a couple of minutes between each activity). If you can get a copy of the bleep test anywhere then do that once a week and work up to the level I suggested or better. If not just set up a shuttle run over 20 metres (can anyone confirm exact distance) and start shuttle running getting progressively faster until you reach max.

Any other physical training you do like weights or swimming will help to build your core strength and reduce your chance of being injured at IOT.

Last edited:
T

Tippo

Brilliant cheers guys, should be able to get a bleep test for my mp3 so i'll try and find somewhere to do that

s1mtech

SAC
The minimum levels are lower than this (but not as low as airman entry) but those who only just make the minimum are a, more susceptible to injury b, more exhausted and tired so have less energy to apply brain power to problems and c, are generally regarded as the biffs by the staff and other cadets.

WTF, the enrty levels are the same for all entries, thats why it is called the Royal Air Force Fitness Test!!!

Don't know where you got that information from? I do though agree aim for middle 10 in the bleep test as this will help with the other training.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
The lines on the bleep test are 20 meters apart for the military (15 for police!) you will easily be able to download it for an MPA player as I did a while ago.

As for if you have to do further to pass your fitness test in IOT I have no idea but what tag-l says is right about the rest of your fitness. Go there as fit as you possibly can. It is one less thing to worry about and will only exhaust you more if you are struggling.

R

Reformed Scribbly

Contact your nearest AFCO as we have a handy little booklet for that precise reason.

tag_lincoln

Corporal
WTF, the enrty levels are the same for all entries, thats why it is called the Royal Air Force Fitness Test!!!

Don't know where you got that information from? I do though agree aim for middle 10 in the bleep test as this will help with the other training.

Have they changed it at Halton then from when the RAF Fitness level was the standard required to pass out? For IOT the RAF Fitness level is the minimum standard to even start the course.

As having been through both courses I can safely say that IOT (IMHO) is a damn sight more physically and mentally demanding than RTS but then it is 9 months long. (hard to believe I know looking at some the fat zobs walking around).

alepie

LAC
I am in the process of applying for a commission. At OASC candidates are required to pass the RAFFT appropriate for their gender and age. If you are successful at OASC you will be sent joining instructions for IOT including details of the IOT Fitness Assessment (IOTFA) (soon to be the OFA). The IOTFA is taken on day one and is based on sit ups and press ups over two minutes and a 1.5 mile run. I don't have the figures to hand but I know they are about the same standards as apply for the Army fitness test. I think the rationale is that the RAFFT is not a good indicator for someone coping with the rigours of IOT hence the higher standards required for officer cadets. Try the AFCO for the IOTFA figures.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Try the AFCO for the IOTFA figures.

The AFCO won't have details of the IOTFA because it's a Cranwellism. Your best bet is to phone the College Gym, the men with moustaches have got the number.

As a guide, IOTFA minimum scores for a male under 30 are 10m 30s for a 1.5 mile run, 44 press ups in 2 minutes and 57 (I think, but it's not far off the mark) sit ups, also in 2 minutes. The form for the press ups and sit ups are slightly different from the RAFFT. Again, Cranwell PEd staff can advise exactly how they should be practiced.

The OFA comes into effect imminently and will reduce the acceptable time for the run by around 20 seconds but it will be run on the athletics track instead of the grass/mud/snowdrift around the pavilion. In theory, therefore, it is no more difficult than before. Press ups and sit ups will be conducted over 1 minute each but the minimum acceptable scores will be reduced only marginally (40 press ups instead of 44, I believe).

As other posters have said already, these are minimum standards only and Cranwell's directing staff are very fond of reminding cadets that 'excellence' is a core value of the RAF.

Good luck!