• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Octavia?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
After a modicum of research and a good warning shot from my current family car I need to be talked in/out of buying an Octavia estate (diesal)...The fact that I can't bring myself to say the manufacturers name is a clear sign that I'm not yet comfortable with this idea...

Anyone got one? Anyone had their fingers burned by owning one? Anyone think I should be flayed bare by by rusty lengths of chain and healed with a bath of Cillit Bang for even thinking about this?

I've got an Octavia, the 2.0l tdi diesel L&K model. I've had it 3 years now with no major issues and can thoroughly recommend them.

As for the name skoda, they've got a reputation of being good motors these days especially as all the parts are stamped up as VW/Audi.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I looked at these recently as I needed a new car and they have a good reputation, and it was this that stopped me buying one they hold their value to well so aren't that good a buy second hand.

In the end I bought a Seat Exeo ST, basically an old model A4 with the latest engines, uprated suspension and lots of extras, best of all being a Seat they can be picked up a year or so old for less than the equivalent Octavia.

I think Skoda's have been a victim of their own success.

Loads of positive reviews of the Exeo on the next.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I had one as a hire car for 2 weeks last month. I was pleasantly surprised... I found it to be very comfortable, lots of gadgets for a retired growbag to fiddle with... And to be honest, a lot of grunt under the bonnet (if that is something you are looking for) Loads of people drive them over here in Eurodisney....

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I have an older Octavia estate, but petrol.

They are good motors, the old stigma attached to Skoda is all but gone now, the build quality is fine, and you get a lot of car for your money.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Lots of coppers have them, must be reasonable motors.

Yep,PSNI over here drive Octavia's,have done for years.Saloon for patrol & estate for traffic branch.Friend of mine is a mechanic for them & he says they're very reliable cars,especially with the added weight of armour in some of them.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've owned a Fabia for over 3 years now and I'm very happy with it. Even at over 10yrs old it has caused me very little in the way of problems.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
Vim,
I traded a BMW in for an Octavia estate when I at Aldergrove as the insurance was getting too much. Best move I made.
1.9 Dturbo got about 45 mpg huge space and loads of toys. I traded it in last year for a hatchback version and love it. It's not theVRS but the Elegance version comes with Trip, A/c cruise control and motorway cruising am getting about 50mpg. even driving 30 mile commute on country roads and hammering it am getting between 40 and 45 mpg. Even the insurance is decent.

The only bad point is it is built from VW and Audi parts which although a good thing for reliability can be pricey for spares new rear bearings were an audi hub about £100 (but then again you'd pay that with an audi anyway!)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This would seem like praise indeed from most...What speaks for itself IMO is that I am struggling to find one in this area a couple of years old to buy!

ScoobTech

Sergeant
My wife went from a 1.9TDI Fabia to a 1.6 TDI Octavia, she is very happy with it, has as much torque, and power as the old 1.9, but in my mind it doesnt seem as punchy, but that could be because the Octavia is nearly 200KG heavier. They are very roomy, large boot, Also on ours the radio exceptrs SD cards, so we now have our whole music collection on £30 memory card in the car. Other people have already mentioned the other good stuff so will not repeat.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
As said by others had one as a hire car and cannot fault it especially as I had an accident in it, a fiesta ran into the rear end, massive bump and loads of noise. Got out to find a small scratch in the number plate and the fiesta had disintergrated.

Great to drive and very economical besides the safety aspect. Go for it!

Fairynuff31

Corporal
I have had a 1.9Tdi Octy from new - now nearly 9 years old and has never given me any issues whatsoever. It now has over 150K on the clock!

I would have another one in a heart beat.

It is spacious, comfortable, reliable and above all else the best car I have ever had.

It took me a little while to get over the badge, but in the time i have had the car, my mate has had 2 BMW's - one right dog and is now on a Merc... he has spent a right fist load of cash on these cars, whilst all I have had to do is have it regualrly serviced and change out the parts that have worn out (clutch, brake pads and pistons, flywheel and cam belts x 2, all at prescribed intervals)

Thats my £0.02 on the subject

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Excellent car, (had a VRS diesel estate). Well spec'ed, fast (170bhp), and economical, hold their value. Also it never let me down. Have a look at the 'Superb' if you need more space.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi Vim,

One of my old bosses had an Octavia and was really upset when he had to trade it in at 200,000 miles. Not a fantastic amount of room in them though. I've taken a Superb for a test drive, it was the new 4x4 version and there was more room in the back than a Maybach! Wonderful car with all the bells & whistles. Give it some thought.

mac

LAC
I am on my third, no issues with any of them, I would recommend Skoda to anyone.
Happy Hunting !!

Sergeant
octavia?

octavia?

on my third skoda and that says some thing. the latest is an octavia vrs tdi i now know why the police and emergency sevices use them. it is very quick you can be doing a tone befor you know it. no problems very reliable bags of room.the only thing i cant get my head around is that the car tells you when it needs a service.service intervals dont go on millage but on the way the car is driven, so if you take it easy long interval between service drive like a chave service every week. having said that i would recomend skoda reguardless of model