• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OASC choices

L

laura

Hi,

I currently have an application for WSOp and Int.O in the system and have a P2 presentation on Friday. If I am given a filter interview and am successful enough to be invited to OASC then what would happen if at any time during the recruitment process they find me unsuitable for Aircrew but acceptable for Int.O? Would they carry on with the process or would I be sent home as my other choice is closed?

The lady at the AFCO said that she would keep Int.O down on my application as it is always good to have another choice. However most of the other branches, aside from commissioned aircrew, medical branches and other branches that require specific professional quals. seem to be closed.. is this right?

Does anyone know for sure what would happen in this circumstance as I have heard differing opinions.

Thanks! :pDT_Xtremez_19:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don't worry

Don't worry

At this moment in time the line that says Int O should be ruled through and ignored by the AFCO staff, there is no chance of the Branch opening this year so you would just be wasting your time doing the research.

By all means let them know if they ask if you have considered other branches but your AFCO is doing you no favours by leaving the choice on your application and making you do more work than necessary.

Good Luck with the application.

L

laura

Thanks! I went to the P2 pres. and Int.O has now been scrubbed off my application form, they said no chance of it opening in the forseeable future!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Do you want to be an IntO? If you do, leave it on the application and do the research (length and location of training, typical tours for a junior Int O, etc.).

You are at the beginning of a process which usually takes several months to complete. The Int branch may be closed at the moment but nobody really knows what the Defence Review expected after the General Election will bring. It is even possible (probably not likely but you never know) that the Review could result in an expansion of the Int branch from later this year.

L

laura

I think that's probably a good idea! Regardless of what the AFCO say I was considering if it would be worth leaving it on my branch choices form just in case!

My first choice is WSOp, hoping to get streamed into EW working with EO imagery and radar, as i'll be IA qualified by June.. I know there are no guarantees though.

Airborne Int.O appeals too and thats what i'd have liked to aim for had I been able to proceed with my application and been successful!
I've already done quite a lot of research about Int.O for when I applied last November. I've spoken to about 10 Int.O's about the job, courses, opportunities etc etc! Which is why I was so disappointed when my interview was cancelled due to the trade being closed 'until 2012!'

I know that all of these jobs are very competitive and everyone keeps telling me that I might not get what I want but I know that and wouldn't exactly be disappointed with any of them! :pDT_Xtremez_19:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Now I'm not quoting from anything I've read or heard but doing the math I reckon there is going to be a sizeable excess of WSOp(EW) and (ACO)'s on April 1st due to the early withdrawal from service of the MR2...I doubt many if any at all will be put through the system for some time to come as they'll be slow on coming forward with redundancy to get rid of the excess...

So it may be wise to have another trade or two researched just in case...

L

laura

Really? That's not good news! Won't the MRA4 be coming into service later this year though?

My 2nd and 3rd choices are ATCO and ABM, oh and of course... Int.O! :)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Really? That's not good news! Won't the MRA4 be coming into service later this year though?
My 2nd and 3rd choices are ATCO and ABM, oh and of course... Int.O! :)

no...We are looking at a lengthy capability gap.

R

Reformed Scribbly

ABM and ATC would be more likely options than IntO this year. Speak to your AFCO regarding an RJP (Realistic Job Preview) up to Boulmer, which will give you a good idea about ABM.