• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not everyones cup of tea ...

H

Happy_Stacker

I know this isnt for every one, but has anyone looked into joining the Royal Air Force Science Fiction Association (RAFSFA)
www.rafsta.org
It has quiet a lot of members and they do a lot of getting together and doing what us RAF girls and boys do best (drinking).
Its FREE to join for the first year, and then just a fiver each year there after, and for that you get a very interesting magazine each month, and the opertunity to join in on weekend get togethers all of the country.
They cover all aspects of sci-fi, the are not just trekkies like everyone proberly thinks they are.
Worth at least a look dont you think ?

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Didn't even know it existed, but for those who are into this sort of thing then it sounds good, especially if ale is involved. Personally, I'd rather nail my conkers to the mast of a sinking ship, but each to their own.

T

The Masked Geek

Cheers for that, HS. The office has had a right good laugh at the galleries. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Mightierthan

Corporal
They cover all aspects of sci-fi, the are not just trekkies like everyone proberly thinks they are.
I thought it was a wind up until I followed the link and found it was true. However, despite what you said about trekkies there does only seem to be the Star Trek Convention and Star Trek Party and not much about anything else.
At the risk of opening a very small and insignificant can of worms, which is your favourite - the original Star Trek, Next Generation or Voyager?

W

Wing boy

I thought it was a wind up until I followed the link and found it was true. However, despite what you said about trekkies there does only seem to be the Star Trek Convention and Star Trek Party and not much about anything else.
At the risk of opening a very small and insignificant can of worms, which is your favourite - the original Star Trek, Next Generation or Voyager?

Tish and pish Star Trek DS9 was the best. Pah!!!

Mightierthan

Corporal
Tish and pish Star Trek DS9 was the best. Pah!!!

Ah, now then, I don't really count DS9 as a Star Trek because they don't do any 'trekking'. They just stay in one place. It's more a spin-off IMHO, although I did enjoy it.
Better than that what was it - prequel? First Beginning? Apparently set before Capt Kirk, but for some reason they had a better ship and more advanced technology. Should have been banned!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Capt Slog's gonna love this thread as I believe he already is a member of this august group of Sci-Fi enthusiasts.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Original for me though Voyager had 7 of 9

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
As a sequence of stories, for me it's got ot be TNG. DS9 was good and had more in-jokes (particularly those between Quark & Odo), but Voyager was worth it if only for 7 of 9.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Thread moved to Hobbies & Pastimes

Hu:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Gotta say that Gallery has cheered me up no end - do none of you lot possess a mirror then?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Used to be the RAF Star Trek Assn

Used to be the RAF Star Trek Assn

The used to be called the RAF Star Trek Assn (hence the url) but this was seen to put people off.

Each to their own, recognise a face that requires a slabbing.

H

Happy_Stacker

It changed its name about 2 years ago because most of the members just lately are fans of stargate, starwars, dr who and battlestar gallactica, hence it no longer being a trekkie club, they have a great weekend once a year (as you may of seen by the photo's) including disco, karaoke and bar-b-que and of course loads of drinks at cheaper than your average section beer call prices.

P.S

i'm not on any commission for advertising this club

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Kind of reminds me, I was going to dig these photos out and put them on the 'Captain Slogs model thread', but seeing that it involves Star Trek and Beer Drinking this is as good a place as any.

More than a few years back while based on a very very northern radar base, I was asked by the T93 Radar Manager if I would be prepared to help him in building decorations for the upcoming Officer's and SNCO's mess summer ball. The theme of the evening was Sci-Fi (The mess CMC was a big Trekie from what I heard), and the intent was to do the main room area up as the bridge of the USS Enterprise. Well with the help of some my shift worker/s, a few large triwall boxes, bits of scrap wood and acetate sheet, tonnes of packing tape, some large tins black and grey paint and Mainjafad's skill with Coraldraw, they got something looking like the consoles off the NNC-1701A from the last two 'original' Star Trek movies.

Of course the 'bridge' screen had a projector on it connected to a PC with speed set to ' Screensaver 2'

Look the attached photos and weep Capt!!!!!

Attachments

• Enterprise bridge 1_800.jpg
    Enterprise bridge 1_800.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Enterprise bridge 2_800.jpg
    Enterprise bridge 2_800.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Enterprise bridge 3_800.jpg
    Enterprise bridge 3_800.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: