• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not a Camp Closure, but visited an old RAF Camp...

Cat of Shadows said:
Strangely I have always retained a perverse fondness for Swinderby. I lived at Scampton for a short while a couple of years ago and would pass Swinditz regularly when trying to get back to anywhere with real habitation. Always did get a bit nostalgic..........................the Thor Run, mile and a half BFTs in the middle of a Lincolnshire winter.................joy!!

Cpl Foster and Sgt Wilsons 11Flt forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I a bit weird? I really enjoyed Swinderby, never have I found the camerarderie that I enjoyed at swinderby.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

G

gemarriott

Going back to Finningley or should that be Robin hood airport,

I had to titter when the Oh so Green locals were offered the choice what to do with the abandoned airfield. They had all breathed a sigh of relief at losing the noise, those nasty men in blue suits and were only slightly peeved at losing all the money and jobs that a major RAF camp brings, it was all worth it for the peace and quiet especially as the threatened international airport seemed to be doomed. Oh sorry I'm waffling a bit here but siht who cares? The choices?

1) open prison, making doncaster the prison capitol of England bearing in mind that doncaster's other ex RAF camp Lindholme is already and open nick.

2) secure centre for assylum seekers AKA assembly point for scroungers, rapists and terrorists from around the world

3) An International airport creating far more noise via far more aircraft movements than any RAF camp ever did with the added bonus of snarling up the local road network for every summer in the foreseeable future.

Makes you proud to have stood on the picket line:pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Major Geek

Sergeant
Went to have a look at Locking while in the area last year. Check out the aerial photo. I already knew it had been flattened but it is well weird when you see it.

What an introduction to the RAF that was! 20 weeks at RAF "Butlins" then upto Cosford where we should really have gone in the first place, now that was a culture shock.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
beerengineer said:
Living in the former RAF Lincolnshire.......Just dont go anywhere near the former RAF Binbrook for all you ex Frightning types, itll just make you cry.......

I know what you mean.....I left Binbrook in 88 when 11 was disbanded....went back a few years ago and not a happy sight...i have heard it has got worse....really sad as it was my first proper camp and i still think the best....so small and friendly(ish) ...then again the RAF is becoming small...but will never be friendly.....17 months and counting and i get my pension can't wait !!

B

bazzacat

Cat of Shadows said:
Anyone seen the state of RAF Wroughton recently? I will never forgive the services for doing away with the finest military hospital in the British armed forces.

The whole place is a right state.

Oh I agree!

Went for a nose around a couple of years ago. I was born there- very sad to see it now.

One of the Blue Eagles pilots told me at Cosford that Bruggen has "gone downhill" since the Army took over, he had been there both during RAF ownership and after.

R

Retard Retard

RAF Wattisham & Honington

RAF Wattisham & Honington

I was at Wattisham when the Army came back from Germany and took over with their crappy helos. Had to stay there for another 2 years with them while they tried to rip up the runway, knock down the HAS site(crack on chimps) and generally march up and down the taxiways because they could. We tried to tell the Colonel that the airfield was a NATO asset and he couldn't rip it apart.

They are all stilll there of course and a little corner of the airfield still flies the RAF Flag in the shape of 22 Sqn SAR just to remind the Grunts of the base's history. The skies of Suffolk are so quiet without the Mighty Tomb around.:pDT_Xtremez_38:

Also witnessed the end of Honington as a flying base and I believe the the Rocks have also trashed the place so that its only fit for marching up and down and forward assisting these days. Anybody confirm?

S

suewilldo

RAF Mount Batten

RAF Mount Batten

We have just returned from Devon and i visited what used to be RAF MOUNT BATTEN....in Plymouth.
Now this one really shook me up which i wasn`t prepared for.
The Sgts Mess is now a re-vamped visitor center (nothing changes does it...oops!).The Officers mess has now been replaced with a fancy Hotel and the accomodation blocks are now car parks.
At least the hangers are still standing!The yachts that are in dry dock outside the old marine craft hangers are something else though!
The main thing is the land hasn`t been sold off to building contractors so they could build expensive executive houses on it and that in itself was a relief.
Needless to say though i will not go back again.

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
I had a mooch around RAF West Raynham a couple of years back, it looked strange all overgrown but intact. I even had a look at the house in MQ's that I lived in before I joined up. There are all those empty houses with people struggling to get quarters at Marham. - DOH!
I have a load of photos if anyones interested?

freebass

LAC
NEQcounter said:
I had a mooch around RAF West Raynham a couple of years back, it looked strange all overgrown but intact. I even had a look at the house in MQ's that I lived in before I joined up. There are all those empty houses with people struggling to get quarters at Marham. - DOH!
I have a load of photos if anyones interested?
Strangely I find myself interested in your photies, I spent some time at Raynham in the mid 80's.............

dogman

LAC
Looked in at Coltishall last week,they are spending millions upgrading the accomodation to make it fit for occupation of prisoners.Perhaps the home office has more money for them than the RAF have for servicemen

J

johnny punkster

was in norwich over the weekend and made a detour via watton on the way home.i knew it was shut and no more,but i expected some type of reminder-absolutely nothing there apart from a new housing estate.felt like losing a bit of my life when it sunk in.
cheered myself up later to see barnham-still looked exactly as i left it in 1987 !

H

Hoof_Hearted

ONI ORRISON WAS NAILS!!! 6 FLT BLACK MAGIC :cool:

I remember him from the early 80s - he had the whole intake in stictches when one of the erks had his flys at half mast, and his comment on black mens dicks hanging out!

Oh, sorry for the Necro thread!

ScoobTech

Sergeant
I can imagine how much the army have trashed a perfectly good RAF camp. I'm currently on an Army barracks at the minute, and some of the buildings don't look like they have anything done to them since the early 50's. But you seem to get lots of RQ's and Qm's walking around with MBE's because they have saved the army money. When your working in a building where you cans see daylight through a closed door with no glass panel.

The Sgt's mess is a death trap, god help anyone if there is a fire in it. Luckily i'm in the annex with a proper fire alarm.

Their problem is from what I see, there is no centralised work services on a garrison, it is just left to individual RQ's and QM's to manage works within their own areas.

Popped my head in at Javelin Bks (RAF Bruggen) not long back. Did not see too many obvious changes on the main site, although a few of the squaddies said they hate it there and are banned from most of the local drinking holes (how true I dont know). The pan is a parade square and the terminal a gym I was told and the squadron sites across the runway are no more (as is the runway).

Left heavy hearted, but with fond memories.

MM :(

Banned - I'm not surprised. We were welcomed.

Add RAF Tern Hill in Shropshire, RAF Thorney Island in Hampshire and RAF South Cerney in Gloucestershire to the list of ex RAF camps that were decent postings, but have been totally trashed by our pongo brethren. It will be interesting in a perverse way to see the state of RAF Leuchars in a few years time. No doubt the new residents will be unpopular in nearby St Andrews.