• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Normalisation of deviance

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I read this earlier http://www.fastjetperformance.com/p...-goes-wrong-and-the-normalisation-of-deviance

Interesting read and something I recognise. I can't help thinking. ...I hope...I wouldn't have, if I'd have been in the decision making chain, allowed that jet to fly. I'm all for creativity and risk taking when the hoardes are approaching but for an exercise...no.

Anyone recognise this sort of thing in their career? Has anyone ever received plaudits for saying no in similar circumstances or did saying no result in a one way ticket to the docs cell?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A great many accidents (often fatal) are caused by people not following established procedures either through negligence or just a culture that says 'we've always done it this way'. I worked in a job signing off machined and fabricated railway track and associated components and the amount of 'it'll do a trip' nonsense you got from the board level down was unbelievable (made myself very very unpopular rejecting stuff because it simply wasn't to specification and therefore unsafe). I eventually stopped being invited to the production meetings because I used to regularly air my concerns in front of the Ops Director and MD.

I also worked in a place as a technician where the guys moaned like hell about ex military because we were 'so by the book' (meaning we actually read and followed formal maintenance practices like using torque wrenches...). We were working on 120 tonne freight locomotives, something that might smart somewhat if it came off the track.

Lets face it, 99 times out of 100 you'll get away with cutting corners, but I wouldn't want to bet my life (or have anyone's death on my conscience) on that 1 single time.

Would you?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
A few years ago I was doing an interview to join a well known Luton-based airline when one of the staff (a good mate) there told me of a recent incident in which one of old boys said "We didn't do that in Dan Air!" To show off his long time and experience in the job...Dan Air went under some 30 years before and was taken over by Brittania, which, in turn, was taken over by....etc. - And this guys attitude had stayed the same since then...this phenomenon is NOT unknown throughout the industry!
I didn't join them.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Five or six years back while I was doing a remote CCTV inspection in part of that infamous top secret nuclear material suppository on the NW coast I was asked by my boss to carry out a procedure that was outside the safe and normal operating procedures for that type the equipment being used. I politely but BLUNTLY refused and suggested to my boss, "if YOU want me to do that and $#!t happens, its YOUR problem and, YOU give me a written instruction with YOUR signature on it". Needless he didn't. The job got done perfectly, no one was injured or worse, and everyone was happy with the result. Best of all I got an apology and, even better no come backs on me for refusing to do what was asked because HE knew I was in the right.
:stupid:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Sometimes the guy wanting you to do the wrong thing delays or simply refuses to send an instruction email to you...the best response to this is to email them confirming their verbal request and asking for any further instructions before you continue.
BCC'd to a safe address.

My experiences of the modern RAF was a remarkable willingness to cut corners when it came to the push. Few people could see my concerns when I raised them, but I believe things have changed recently - and will hopefully be much better by the time the F35 comes in.

Last edited:

chumpzilla

Sergeant
A great many accidents (often fatal) are caused by people not following established procedures either through negligence or just a culture that says 'we've always done it this way'. I worked in a job signing off machined and fabricated railway track and associated components and the amount of 'it'll do a trip' nonsense you got from the board level down was unbelievable (made myself very very unpopular rejecting stuff because it simply wasn't to specification and therefore unsafe). I eventually stopped being invited to the production meetings because I used to regularly air my concerns in front of the Ops Director and MD.

I also worked in a place as a technician where the guys moaned like hell about ex military because we were 'so by the book' (meaning we actually read and followed formal maintenance practices like using torque wrenches...). We were working on 120 tonne freight locomotives, something that might smart somewhat if it came off the track.

Lets face it, 99 times out of 100 you'll get away with cutting corners, but I wouldn't want to bet my life (or have anyone's death on my conscience) on that 1 single time.

Would you?

Good to hear. Maintaining integrity in the face of popular practice is refreshing to hear. I for one hate that adage of "we've always done it this way..."