• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Military Uniforms at the funeral?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
So, due to Harry and Andy's buggering about no one gets to dress up in their military party outfits for the funeral.

Erosion of traditions or a modern Royal family?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Personally, i think it's a shame. He was always attuned to the military having had a good career himself (he's not the last to have a lost a good service career because of his wife....) and Charles, Andrew, Wills & Harry have all done their bit in uniform without major problems - in 3 cases in tough roles - so it would have been entirely appropriate for uniforms to be worn imho.

However, Andrew & Harry have recently laid themselves open to scrutiny through inappropriate behaviour & I am not sure the services want to be too closely identified with them at the moment. Since they can't all be in uniform then none is the sensible option.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Dad/Grandad has popped his clogs the family are bickering about what to wear and mum puts her foot down and says suits lads Saturday its suits. OK Mum. Sorted

AirForce

LAC
To be honest - the whole thing is a load of b0ll0cks.
In regards to the Royals wearing uniforms, I tend to agree with you.

If you are a serving member, fine, wear the uniform of that service with the rank that you achieved.

What is b0ll0cks is Prince Andrew wanting to wear a uniform with the rank of Admiral.(n)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know many of them have served for a while and some even in genuine conflict but it always strikes me as a bit of a 'peacock' moment when I see someone who put say 3 years in and they have rack of gongs that would pin a small child to the ground, braid and feather everywhere. Wear what you properly earned and be proud of it...no more.

Andrew flew some pretty hairy missions in the Falklands incl. being Exocet bait but I agree, Admiral? Edward can just fook off.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Despite the press picking up on this and every other minor issue surrounding Harry's attendance, its about the funeral, as the Queen is the head of state and to whom we all swore allegiance she can choose whatever the feck she wants her offspring to wear.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Nothing... yet..............

He is still refusing to be interviewed by the FBI.

You'll be saying next Rolf and Jimmy were also innocent.
Rolf was investigated, charged, tried & convicted - he got what he deserved.
Jimmy was always a weirdo, but was never investigated, charged, tried & convicted; do i think he was guilty of some of what he is now accused of - yes. All of it? Maybe not since I suspect there was an element of 'compensayshun' hunting in some of the accusations as well as double standards - take a look at some of the old TOTPs & you'll see young women in the audience touching the legs of the bands & DJs - sauce for the goose & gander... I suspect that some of them were naive and taken advantage of, but that's not necessarily a crime.
Andrew may well be guilty of something, & i agree he kept some unsavoury friends and his attitude to the investigation is far from reassuring but, as yet, he is not, evidentially, guilty of anything.

The problem with many sex offences is that they tend to take place in private and often leave little actual evidence -- it's all 1 person's word against another and when the events took place 5, 10, 20 or more years ago then who knows what really happened?

If some woman appeared tomorrow and said FOMz indecently assaulted me at the NAAFI bop 20 years ago, what would your reaction be? Would you want people to immediately assume your guilt? After how many accusations should we think "Hmm, was he a dodgy geezer back then?"

A couple of years back i patted a good female friend's bum on the floorplate - it was wholly inadvertent, I was reaching to pat her back but i was sitting down and she stepped away as i reached out and I contacted lower than intended. Obviously I apologised and she thought it was funny & really didn't care, but in the current climate, some women might have taken a different line and even someone witnessing the incident might have made an accusation on the basis of it.... She, on the other hand, still gives me a big hug whenever i see her. (Although i haven't actually seen her since COVID started).

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not sure about him but I would err to say he would have been more interested in Epstein’s money rather than his cheeky underage sex racket.

I do think Miss Maxwell’s got some answering to do.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Not sure about him but I would err to say he would have been more interested in Epstein’s money rather than his cheeky underage sex racket.

I do think Miss Maxwell’s got some answering to do.
I suspect you are right about the money, although an attractive, apparently willing, young lady on the side might have flattered his (considerable, I hear) ego as well. If he did actually do anything with her &, if so, whether or not he knew she was under-age and being coerced is the, as yet unproven, point - if the answer in all cases is no then he is guilty of nothing more than the stupidity of being egotistical and having dodgy friends, and he wouldn't be the first man to tread that path.

Miss Maxwell's role as a procuress, seems more easily provable from what i have read.

Money + power + a belief in one's own untouchability is never a good combination.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Questions need to be answered

Like a member of the royal family for example......
Except that they don't have access to near unlimited wealth (unlike certain US & Russian businessmen), don't have any real power (even the queen's is constrained by Parliament), & as for the sense of untouchability - in some cases, sadly, that is true.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
His net worth is £45m. He gets an official £332,000 allowance per annum from Liz, he owns a £10m pad in the countryside and a £17m luxury lodge in Switzerland, not to mention all of his investment portfolio's....... yeah you're right.. he's on the bones of his arse.
You're right, £45m is a lot of money.... to us. However to Jeffrey Epstein (net worth in 2019, >£400m) , he was a pauper with nothing more to offer than some social 'cachet' and both would have known it.