• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No 24 hour cover?

D

Discombobulated

Just a quick question regarding the out of hours cover at a large oxfordshire unit...
At a recent (3 days ago) briefing from one of the RAFP's at a CCS course, we were all informed that the RAFP's were no longer going to provide 24 hour cover, and would be 'on call' during silent hours.
I was just wondering the reasons behind this?
From past experience on every camp i have been on, most serious incidents (Fights/drink driving/etc etc) on units seem to be alcohol related, making it a silent hours busy period?
This isn't a fishing trip or baiting for an argument, i'm just interested to know why and how the 'on call' system will work?
Cheers

D

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Same system as some other units have, they usually cover past kickking out time in the naffi, then on a duty mobile till day shift starts. TBH they only aren't there for the 'dead' hours anyway, worked this way at marham for quite a while.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I was at the same brief as you :D Was she the worst public speaker the RAF ever sent to a brief or was that just me?

I don't know if you were also at the Future Brize brief later that day but the question was asked, when we were told all the other support sections were being looked at to provide 24/7 cover, why were the coppers going down to days cover?

I know that a lot of other units are now using call outs only in silent hours, but from speaking to the Future Brize people, they were not aware the coppers were about to do this, and were not best chuffed about it.

D

Discombobulated

I was at the same brief as you :D Was she the worst public speaker the RAF ever sent to a brief or was that just me?

I don't know if you were also at the Future Brize brief later that day but the question was asked, when we were told all the other support sections were being looked at to provide 24/7 cover, why were the coppers going down to days cover?

I know that a lot of other units are now using call outs only in silent hours, but from speaking to the Future Brize people, they were not aware the coppers were about to do this, and were not best chuffed about it.

Yes, she was pretty bad at doing that brief, it was cringe worthy!
It does seem odd that the rest of the unit is upping its out of hours workers, and the RAFP lowering theirs.
It will be interesting to see what happens if something kicks off after hours as a lot of people stagger through the gates long after kicking out time on the camp.
Are there any RAFP's able to explain it?

D

ivrytwr3

SAC
Each Units hours are managed by themselves. At my last Unit the cops worked 4 on 4 off:

1300hrs - 0100hrs

0100 - 1300 on call

So for 4 x 24 hour periods you were available (and usually only 1 on shift at a time due to manpower :pDT_Xtremez_42:)

And should an incident develop in the silent hours, then you came in, did your job and were still expected back in at 1300hrs for the start of your shift.

----------------

There is 24 hour cover, just don't expect a breezy wided eyed copper to pitch up!

(if you do need a copper, give the guardroom a call. 9 times out of 10 they will be able to get hold of one for you).