• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No.1 SD Hat

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
You can press it flat round the sides
Wet it (damp as mentioned) and "shape it"

There are two ways of slashing the peak

One you cut the stiching and push the peak back up so it pretty much vertical and leaves about 1 fingers gap between the bridge of the nose and the peak
You probably need a station tailer to do it although a Sqn Farrier did mine (not RAF I add)
Make sure you stich it I rememer one lads peak falling of when he halted sharply - his peak kept travelling

You can roll it
You tuck the peak into the back of the hat
This bends the peak forward but not as sharp as a slashed peak
This also pushes the hat up in the middle where you bent it
Push the edges in round the badge for further effect

Unless you are in a command position or do alot of marching theres no need for a slashed peak - if you are in the ranks you will stand out a mile
The idea of a slashed peak is to force the head back as you can only look down at the man in front because of the restricted vision

It's no good if you need to drive anywhere or wear it day to day

Unl;ess you are on Guards or QCS there really is no need for it

I was once told I looked like a "fukcing Panzer commander" in mine after it had been thrown in boxes etc on postings
What they used to refer to as an "ops hat"

Bren

LAC
I was told in the distant past that this style of cap was known as a Manchester hat................................then again iv'e been fed a lot of other bullsh!t over the years
Could be the Provost hat which was covered with a detachable white cover worn by RAFP. Was called a Martin hat as it was made by Martin of Manchester.

Very smart cap it was...

Last edited:

Red-Rock

Sergeant
The Colour Sqn now get issued the 'Cap, Ceremonial' which is different from the rest of the RAFs 'Hat, No1 ' If memory serves me correctly they get issued 2 of them. Most of them end up keeping them if they ever end up leaving the Sqn but they ALL get issued them, without exception.

The only way you can generally get hold of one is to a) serve on QCS, b) have a mate on QCS get you one, c) nick one off someone on QCS or finally trawl ebay to see if you can find one.

Just a few suggestions mate :pDT_Xtremez_14:

shettie

Flight Sergeant
found one on ebay:

3378743.jpg