• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Newbie, /Career advice wanted.

K

kevlid1981

Hi All - Great site!

Was looking for some career advice and this looked like the best place for it.

I have just turned 27, I applied for NCO aircrew when i was 21 and 22 passed the aptitude tests at cranwell but was asked to come back in 12 months, as I think I was just a little over weight so was classed as medically unfit, so basicly went away to get life experience.

so 5 years later I have a good job, but not what I want to do I still want a Aircrew role in the RAF so have decided to apply and will never be happy untill I do it.

I was a Cadet when younger and a gliding instructor up untill I was 22 and have never been happier.

Questions :-

1)Am I to old? I know by the book I'm not but is there any dis-advantages from joining later in life.

2) My other half said that she will support my change in career but never saw military life as somehting she wanted.. I.e me being away and moving around, but she knows I will never be happy with any other life. Any advice/ Experiences.

3) Trade questions :- I was told you could only take the apptitude tests twice, which is fine as I passed for my trade. Has this changed.

I feel like I am a better candidate now I have had life experience and am more confident then i certainly was last time I went, will it look bad that i have waited so long ?

Any help much appreciated.

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
will it look bad that i have waited so long ?
They are looking for people with enthusiasm who have the desire and aptitude to do the job, and the willpower to stay the course throughout the training. Think about how you can demonstrate the above, for starters turning up fit, having thoroughly researched the role, having a good knowledge of the RAF, current roles, units, equipment etc, would go some way to demonstrating that. Organising yourself a visit to a unit and chatting to some people doing currently the role, you aspire to, shows a sense of determination and presumably some resourcefulness in organising it.

A fair question at interview would be: you say that you have a burning desire to become an NCA whatever, why is it that you waited 5 years since your initial application when you were advised to only wait 12 months, and what life experiences have you had in the ensuing 5 years that will enhance your suitability for this role?

P

POB

The age question; "Am I too old?" In short no. BUT, even possibly a few years older than the others on your course you will notice the difference in fitness and recovery times. At your age and with your life experience behind you (And what sounds like a good level of determination.) you should be way ahead of them...

All relationships are about communication. Talk to your other half about all the possibilities. Ask her to help you in your preparation, get involved a little. If you value your relationship and she decides she does not want to support you, which do you pick, military life or her? If you have her support from the outset much of it will become a lot easier. But be realistic with her. No point in telling her it's a safe 9 - 5 job just so as she agrees to you joining (I am not suggesting she is not intelligent enough to work this out for herself...!), only to find you are away for months on end getting shot at in the back of a helicopter.

Good luck. Some of this is covered in the recruiting forum, have a scan round!

V

Voxsj

I am sure your age is not a problem, it is like any job people start at different ages, and are ready at different times. I would make it work for you by stating how you have spent the time-with courses, life experience, responsibility. I am sure you already know that military life is lots of moving around and I believe it is pretty difficult for the other person in the relationship. It would put a strain but depends whether you think you could get through it or not.

Get your application going, it takes so long as it is (trust me went through it last year-unfortunately I did not pass OASC) Keep your head, get training, get reading and reflecting on yuor personal attributes. Good Luck!!

tats

Sergeant
I went through basic at the age of 27 and I am currently working my ar$e off to make sure I've completed my phase 2 by the time I hit 28.

There are various things that made me join at this age, unlike you it had never really been something I'd considered when I was younger - to be honest my view of the military was very different then to what it is now.

I looked at the point that I was starting a career rather than a job, I would meet people that would be important for my life, I was becoming part of something important, I'd always doubt myself if I hadn't gone for it, it is also one of the few 'jobs' that still gives a non-contributary pension (not a biggie for the youngsters, but something that I looked at). My friends who were already serving gave me great support and also were honest with me about things that I was getting myself into and as much as I hated some of my time so far (ok little that it is) I've loved much more of it.

I've had many a time where I've looked at the guys around me and thought "what the fcuk are they doing?!?!" which I put down to an age thing but there are also times where I've been part of the group doing some really daft and childish things. I have become a little bit of a mother to some, which doesn't bother me as it shows me that they trust me and value me as part of the group (oh how soft and fluffy) but its something I find important.

My view would be go for it but then I am single and my choices don't really affect anyone else to a large extent at the moment, if your other half is supportive and wants to be a part of your life then good for her, it will be hard but there are ways to make it work if you both want to.

If you want to ask anyone about going in late, ask Red Rock, he went back in and trained at Honington where he was over double some of the recruits age! :pDT_Xtremez_31::pDT_Xtremez_42: