• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Mobile Phone

Major Geek

Sergeant
I am looking for a new mobile and I want one with all the gadgets,
been looking at the Nokia N95, anybody got one? What's it like?
Can anybody recommend anything just as good or better (and cheaper!)?

5.0 mega-pixel camera
Bluetooth/WiFi
MP3/AAC/AAC+ player
Built in GPS

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
5MP camera is only equal to the Sony 3.2 's.
I was waiting for it for the sat nav package, but went with the Sony in the end

Try looking here for an in depth revue. Doesn't walk on IGS though !

Doesn't work either ! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Last edited:

Red-Rock

Sergeant
I am looking for a new mobile and I want one with all the gadgets,
been looking at the Nokia N95, anybody got one? What's it like?
Can anybody recommend anything just as good or better (and cheaper!)?

5.0 mega-pixel camera
Bluetooth/WiFi
MP3/AAC/AAC+ player
Built in GPS

I have a Nokia N95 and it is a fantastic phone. I got mine for free at the Carphone Warehouse. Was originally on Vodafone but they tried to charge me £100 to upgrade and they couldn't offer me the tariff I wanted with free internet access so i went int CPW and told them i wanted to port onto T-Mobile on the web'n'Walk tariff (free unlimited internet access) and they gave me the phone, 3 year satnav subscription and a phone cradle for free. Result.

The only downside is that if you access the net on it using 3G it eats up battery power. One day I charged overnight then by 7pm it had died on me. Using standard GSM saves a bit more power.

Picture quality is fantastic as is video and the MP3 player is easy to use. The software for ripping tunes to the phone takes a bit of getting used to and you definately need a memory card if you want to store any decent amount of music or pictures. I managed to pick up a 2Gb Micro SD card off ebay for £15, another result, CPW were selling them for £49.99.

Overall a cracking phone. I'm well happy with mine.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

F

Fablon biff chit

That's the only thing with new phones - battery life! "In my day" :) the phone would last for weeks!

D

Disillusioned

"in your day" phones were still plugged into the wall!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Major Geek

Sergeant
Thanks for the replys Scaley Brat & Red-Rock. Seems like the only downside is the battery life. Suppose once you get used to it and have sussed out all it can do then you wouldnt be using it so heavily.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
Thanks for the replys Scaley Brat & Red-Rock. Seems like the only downside is the battery life. Suppose once you get used to it and have sussed out all it can do then you wouldnt be using it so heavily.
Cos its still a new toy I do spend quite a bit of time messing about with all the different functions, internet, gps etc so it does drain it down quite quickly. Once the novelty has worn off i'm sure it will last longer. Still a fantastic phone though.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
My first phone was a motorola flip phone, it would go flat even if it was sat in the charging cradle, had a battery life of about 5 hours stand by and 12 minutes talk time ! Those were the days eh !

Modern phones are fantastic compared to that heap of junk..... weighed about a half a kilo too !

Major Geek

Sergeant
I have a Nokia N95 and it is a fantastic phone........

Well I got one and its the dogs dangly bits.
Best gadget I have had in a long while.

Yeah the battery life is not brilliant, buts that's not surprising considering the stuff you can do with it and also the screen quality. You can make lots of adjustments to conserve power if you need to.

I bought an accessory kit that came with a charging cradle and spare battery. You can charge the phone and spare at the same time. Hardly needed the spare. Just pop the phone in the cradle overnight.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Any more suggestions on mobiles?

I'm looking for a contract phone on orange or O2.

I want a phone with a camera which isnt a ballache to use like the motorola ones.

Anything else dont really matter that much.

I text more than call although with the right bundle I may end up calling more!

I've been looking at the LG viewty and the sony erik W850i.

Anyone got these? Any other hot deals around?

Cheers peeps.........:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee

I've had a W850i for just over a year on O2 and it does all i need. Texting is easy and battery seem to last a long time if you have good network coverage, if not it'll need topping up every couple of days.
The camera takes reasonable piccies and if you get a nice big memory stick (I got a 1 gig one) you can put loads of mp3's on and have lots of ringtones.

I don't intend changing mine for a while !

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Cheers Tashy.
What are the buttons like for texting?
Having rigger's sausage fingers I find it infuriating when you get small buttons on phones and take hours just trying to write two words!

I seen a sony erik K850i as well. The camera is a 5mp and looks quite good as well.

tats

Sergeant
Any more suggestions on mobiles?

I'm looking for a contract phone on orange or O2.

I want a phone with a camera which isnt a ballache to use like the motorola ones.

Anything else dont really matter that much.

I text more than call although with the right bundle I may end up calling more!

Got the W580i a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE IT! Although I have been converted from Motorola (previously nokia) I love the Sony Ericsson phones, great battery life, although this one seems a little shorter than my last one but its still good. Camera is spot on for being 2 pega pixels, large screen and really clear speakers, huge memory and card included etc. The only thing I would say is the keypad is a little small (fine for me as I have little hands) so some may find it awkward to use. Otherwise fantastic phone.

Got it on O2, £35 a month 1000 texts and 300 minutes (that roll over for 3 months) have never gone over it and I text A LOT (the only problem is when mates go on ex to foreign countries and text me from a foreign sim. But O2 online have much better deals than you'll find in the shops.

I seen a sony erik K850i as well. The camera is a 5mp and looks quite good as well.

The woman at O2 said every one of those they were sending out they were getting one returned due to problems.

Last edited:

Soupdragon

Piermaster
im on a SE w850i, had it for just over a year now with O2 same as Tashy, cant fault it, battery seems to last forever and requires very little topping up.

As for texting, i found the buttons a lil awkward to start with but now im all made up with it..

Only prob i have with it is that ive managed to scratch the screen when i stuffed it in a pocket that had my keys in... anyone any ideas how to get a scratch out?

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
I'm hoping Santa brings me a new phone (I'm on PAYG) and have been leaving lots of hints about the Sony K800i 'cos it is bloody cheap, does everything I want (and more) and just looks right.

The only thing I don't know, despite looking on-line (including the Sony site) is whether it comes with headphones good enough for using it as an mp3 player?

If anyone has horror stories about the phone, feel free to post them. It's not too late to change my mind!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
The only thing I would say is the keypad is a little small (fine for me as I have little hands) so some may find it awkward to use. Otherwise fantastic phone.

Got it on O2, £35 a month 1000 texts and 300 minutes (that roll over for 3 months) have never gone over it and I text A LOT (the only problem is when mates go on ex to foreign countries and text me from a foreign sim. But O2 online have much better deals than you'll find in the shops.

The woman at O2 said every one of those they were sending out they were getting one returned due to problems.

The reason I looked at the K850i was the buttons look easier for pig tit fingered riggers! That and the better camera.
A shame they appear to be getting sent back.

Is your O2 rollover because you were a previous customer?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Cheers Tashy.
What are the buttons like for texting?
Having rigger's sausage fingers I find it infuriating when you get small buttons on phones and take hours just trying to write two words!

I have not seen a K850i so can't comment on it.

My finger aint exactly small and i have no probs using the w850i keypad.....plus being a slide phone the keypad is covered most of the time.

As tats said the £35 a month contract is good (Think i'm roughly on the same deal) and i've never used my full allocation....even used abroad (Turkey and Norway) several times a day (texting) and never been charged for them !!

I do like the look of the Nokia n95 but Sony Ericsson has won me over and i will stay with them a while now.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

O2 have some cracking deals right now. The viewty is another i-phone wannabe, but it does look like it does a better job and has a better camera.
The N95, for you who have one also, has recently had new firmware released which improves the battery life a lot. It also comes in a version with an 8gb HDD inside. Go for that if you don't use hte camera much.
If your going for a good camera I think K850i is looking fairly unbeatable at the moment

As ever, try HERE for full reviews of the hardware and HERE for the best deals at the moment !

Hope this helps

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice peeps.
And for the links SB...........
Time to do my homework!