• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

new camera, old lens ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
After a bit of prompting, my neighbour sold me his Canon EOS 400D digital SLR, to replace my EOS 300D.
Whilst trawling through my old SLR stuff (Practika MTL5B), I found a Chinon 200mm 1:3.5 lens (M42 thread). I have an adaptor for the Canon and wondered; "how?"

So if there's a keen photographically-minded expert in Goat-land who can advise me how to set up the camera so I can use this lens, please do. I'd like to try this lens out. I know it's going to be more than 200mm in effect, but it's how to set the body up to match the lens settings that I'm interested in.

Toonman

SAC
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that you can get an adapter to fit M42 lenses onto modern canon bodies but the result will be that you will only be able to use the camera in manual mode as the connections on the camera will not marry those on the lens

S92

LAC
new camera, old lens ?

To be honest, it really doesn't warrant spending money on an adaptor when you will certainly not be able to fully use the capabilities of the 400D. You will definitely only be able to use it in the manual mode and from personal experience, the Chinon was certainly not a top performing lens. It produced reasonable images but for a relatively small amount of money you could buy a second hand Canon lens which would be fully compatable with your camera.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I already have an adaptor (£3.99, post free), and I'm not too desperate; more . . interested, as it were. After all, give that I have the ability to connect the Chinon to the Canon body, it seems a reasonable enquiry.

Incidentally, I put my big zoom (70-300mm) lens on it tonight, set the dial mode to 'flash off', put the whole thing on a tripod and tried to photograph the moon.
It was terrible; all flare and off-set image.

At this rate I need a Kodak Box Brownie, not a DSLR.

yep moon photography can be very tricky even with the right equipment. There are some good article on the net about the moon and a lot of people prefer to go to fully manual settings.
I would also tend to buy a new or SH lens for the camera body and not bother with the Chinon.