• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NEM Impact

NEM Impact

• Worse Off

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Better Off/Same

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

Life-Is-Good

SAC
Subscriber
Attended an NEM brief yesterday when the discussion of whether we were getting a pay cut or not depended on your definition of "pay cut". I.e. If you will be worse off in a year than you are now, it is a pay cut. If you are worse off than you planned(or expected) to be, that is not a pay cut!

Based on my calculations, I will be over £5000 worse off after five years than I would have been. (By my definition, that is a pay cut).

A statistic given was that 28% will be worse off as a result of NEM. Ergo, 72% will be better off or the same. Out of curiosity, who will thinks they will be worse off and who think they will be better off/the same?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I will def be worse off, as will very other reserve officer and probably airman. The whole NEM gradient is skewed towards longevity and back end reaping benefits. All of us are on 5 year contracts and because trade training is is 2-3 times as slow, so is promotion.

I'm pretty certain they didn't figure this one out.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Problem I have is I'm a top level Cpl on the higher pay band getting £34k and a bit (don’t have the exact number in front of me)

I'm going to be a Cpl for the next 7 years until I leave after my 22 with 15 years worth of AFP 75 immediate pension.

I don't have much of a chance for promotion as it's far too competitive in my trade.

And I also believe that the NEM has got my trade spot on. Tg4 isn’t a technical trade anymore.

In the new pay review I'm going in as supplement 2.

That’s £32K as a top level Cpl.

I'm not looking in the future that if I did come off the board, and took my promotion, I'd be earning X amount less that I would have and that's a hypothetical pay cut.

I'm worried that in 2019 when I'm still a Cpl my pay is no longer protected and I physically lose £2k a year if they decide to move me over to the new scale

But the thought of getting stiffed for 8K over the course of my last 4 years of employment leaves a bad taste.

I can't bang out now because I'll lose my pension which will be 8K a year the day I leave and I’ve worked a long time to earn that even though the AFP 15 has screwed me out of a sizable amount of pension on my 22 year point.

If I was on the 05 I’d have PVR’d the day this was announced, my pension is the only thing keeping me in.

“Reward and Recognition” I love hearing that.

That's my worry, getting forced to take a pay cut because my joke trade can’t recruit, promote or retain anyone (unless they are 20 year Sgts getting signed on to 60)

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Mate the way things are going SDR20 will probably take all your pension off you!! Remember you heard it here first!

Sweet Jesus! Those in Ivory Towers read this site you know......let's not go giving them Freebies towards their OBE / MBE.....:pDT_Xtremez_42:

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Mate the way things are going SDR20 will probably take all your pension off you!! Remember you heard it here first!

It's ok, all the LSA we'll get from the 2.5 yearly Falklands dets will counteract that.

Until they get rid of LSA......

But then we’re eligible for a huge bonus if we come back into the reserves after we left because our skills are so valuable.

So yea, swings and roundabouts.

Problem I have is I'm a top level Cpl on the higher pay band getting £34k and a bit (don’t have the exact number in front of me)

I'm going to be a Cpl for the next 7 years until I leave after my 22 with 15 years worth of AFP 75 immediate pension.

I don't have much of a chance for promotion as it's far too competitive in my trade.

And I also believe that the NEM has got my trade spot on. Tg4 isn’t a technical trade anymore.

In the new pay review I'm going in as supplement 2.

That’s £32K as a top level Cpl.

I'm not looking in the future that if I did come off the board, and took my promotion, I'd be earning X amount less that I would have and that's a hypothetical pay cut.

I'm worried that in 2019 when I'm still a Cpl my pay is no longer protected and I physically lose £2k a year if they decide to move me over to the new scale

But the thought of getting stiffed for 8K over the course of my last 4 years of employment leaves a bad taste.

I can't bang out now because I'll lose my pension which will be 8K a year the day I leave and I’ve worked a long time to earn that even though the AFP 15 has screwed me out of a sizable amount of pension on my 22 year point.

If I was on the 05 I’d have PVR’d the day this was announced, my pension is the only thing keeping me in.

“Reward and Recognition” I love hearing that.

That's my worry, getting forced to take a pay cut because my joke trade can’t recruit, promote or retain anyone (unless they are 20 year Sgts getting signed on to 60)

Just heard that minimum waiting time for TG4 PVR may go up to 14 months. With the 88% (SAC - Cpl) and 82% (Sgt & above) manning levels i'm not surprised. I think the promotion drought may be here for a while.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Just heard that minimum waiting time for TG4 PVR may go up to 14 months. With the 88% (SAC - Cpl) and 82% (Sgt & above) manning levels i'm not surprised. I think the promotion drought may be here for a while.

I think the aim of anyone in TG4 should be to either get q'd up and get out into civvie street (contracting still looks good), or find a decent post (they are out there) and enjoy your job and life. I'm in the second category, in a decent post slowly doing a degree whilst studying CCNA and the like.

Personally I think that the chances of promotion are so extremely slim that if I do stay in to the 22 yr point I won't be surprised if I leave at my current rank (been a Cpl for 5 years with 11 to go).

Carto79

LAC
Just got confirmation that my SFA rent will be going up from £4.51 a day to £9 a day - an increase of £1680 a year.

Cheers!

dessp2

SAC
Monthly MQ charges.

Monthly MQ charges.

On them calculations £9 a day-

365 x £9 = £3285 (Per year).

£3285 divided by 12 = £273.75 PCM

I never stayed in Married Quarters in my years in the RAF but am I right in saying that the quarter charge includes Water aswell?

I can understand the frustration of the £4 a day hike? But ladies and gentlemen you will be in a one all mighty massive shock if you think you will be able to find a place in civvie street to rent for £273.75 a month.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I rent my 3-bed gaff out atm for about 5-6 times that. Its nowhere special. I wouldn't complain too much

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A similar size house to my quarter in Pinner which I paid £83 a month, I'm begrudgingly about put my house here to rent for 1000 a month...crazy!

Carto79

LAC
I hear you, and a rent increase in isolation I could stomach. I have a great quarter, and have said on many times that I would happily pay more per month.

However, when the line 'NEM is not a pay cut' is being force fed to personnel at every brief, it sticks in the throat a little. My family will be worse off due to NEM, so lets not try and say otherwise.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Just short of £300 a month rent (which is what I'm paying as of now) for the garageless, mid-terrace antique SFA I'm in, compared to the £130 a month I was paying last month for a newer SFA with a garage is a heck of a jump (though I acknowledge it's still a minimal fee compared to civvy rent in some places).

Will be interesting to see my pay packet at the end of the month...

I hear you, and a rent increase in isolation I could stomach. I have a great quarter, and have said on many times that I would happily pay more per month.

However, when the line 'NEM is not a pay cut' is being force fed to personnel at every brief, it sticks in the throat a little. My family will be worse off due to NEM, so lets not try and say otherwise.

In all seriousness, those who are in qtrs need to factor the cost of civilian equivalents before thoughts of jacking it in. (Massive shock to me after a long time in qtrs and foolishly ignorant to it myself.) As **** and difficult this process will be, it is after all a "bringing into line with civvie st" exercise. I estimate what you save, could add on an extra 6 - 10 grand on your wage. Not that in anyway am i advocating getting married to make a profit... cos it ain't gonna happen!!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
In all seriousness, those who are in qtrs need to factor the cost of civilian equivalents before thoughts of jacking it in. (Massive shock to me after a long time in qtrs and foolishly ignorant to it myself.) As **** and difficult this process will be, it is after all a "bringing into line with civvie st" exercise. I estimate what you save, could add on an extra 6 - 10 grand on your wage. Not that in anyway am i advocating getting married to make a profit... cos it ain't gonna happen!!

I've factored it in, which is why I'm still here!

Slog it out to my 22 - regardless of promotion - then out, lump sum as a house deposit and pension pays the mortgage (or most of it). Planning on settling in North Wales, so house prices are less of an issue than they would be if I were settling somewhere in England.