• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need help with press ups....

wench02

SAC
I am trying to get fit ... However I am really struggling with blinking press ups, I can barely do them.

I am no weakling, and I have been following RAF fitness plan as well as doing stuff with weights, but haven't really made much difference.

Any help much appreciated !

I am trying to get fit ... However I am really struggling with blinking press ups, I can barely do them.

I am no weakling, and I have been following RAF fitness plan as well as doing stuff with weights, but haven't really made much difference.

Any help much appreciated !

Not a PTI but after a shoulder injury I started doing press ups but with knees on the ground taking a lot of the weight. Once you can do 10-15 of them try 1 or 2 proper press ups and build up from there.

A

A Crusty Demon

Not a PTI but after a shoulder injury I started doing press ups but with knees on the ground taking a lot of the weight. Once you can do 10-15 of them try 1 or 2 proper press ups and build up from there.

Thats also my recommendation :pDT_Xtremez_32:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The 'One Hundred Push-ups' things looks OK.

Not having knowledge of that website when I needed it, I increased my number of press-ups by simply doing as many as I could physically do on day one.

Then every day I would strive do 'Just One More!'.

If I physically couldn't do that one extra... I would do the same number of press-ups for the next few days and then attempt to do 'Just One More'.

Slowly but surely the number of press-ups that you can do will increase.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Entropy

Sergeant
I can concur with this method as I was in a similar position a while ago. Start on your hands and knees so they and your trunk form a box. Start doing press ups at regular intervals e.g. daily.

When you can bang out 25+ fairly easily start doing them with your knees slighly further back. Work on getting to 25 press ups in that position then move your knees back further. Repeat until your knees are as far back as you can manage then go onto your feet. Hey presto your doing press ups.

P

pie sandwich

I can echo what others have said about starting with your knees on the ground and working up to doing them with straight legs.

And the same as Harry has said, always try for just one more, even if it's half its still half a press up more that yesterday.

I started with regular press ups and struggled to get passed a dozen, then trained with my knees one the ground to help build up core muscle then split the session so it was eg 10 reg press ups 20 knee's press ups, then making it inversely proportional so you increase regular and decrease knee's.

Before you know it ( well a couple of months ) you will be banging our 50 with ease, then its time to do them with feet elevated resting on a bench/stair/stack of books.

If your doing them on your own, just to make sure your dipping down to the correct depth put 2 thick books on the floor i.e 2 yellow pages ( approx fist depth) or a cushion, something you can touch but won't hurt if you collapse onto them.

olliepop

Corporal
If, you are still finding them difficult after all the good advice below. I found that using one of those pilates balls to build up the arms was excellent.

Simply get a pilates ball place it in front of your legs, plop yourself on it so your belly is resting on the ball, hands and feet on the floor. Use your hands to pull your body forward until your legs are on the ball. Start press ups from there..... If you start with the ball roughly under your knees and, as you progress and gain strength. Move the ball further back so it ends up just under your ankles.

Whilst you are doing this exercise. You need to make sure you keep your back straight. You can make sure you do, by clenching your bum and setting your core (Done by trying to push your bum hole to your belly button).

By the way, if you do not have a pilates ball. You can use your sofa or low stable chair and just bring your feet further towards the edge.

Just found this for you....

http://video.about.com/pilates/Exercise-Ball-Push-Up.htm

Good luck, you will get there in the end:pDT_Xtremez_30:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Another thing you could do is get someone to check out your technique. When I as joining the RAF I'd never had to do them before so was in completely the wrong position and really struggling.... however once I was shown the actual correct position I managed to do them, I then built on that and I've never had a problem with them since. You could also try to do them off a bench or some stairs failing that. Just start with a couple and build on it.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Wench,

If you are in the process of joining the RAF, go speak to your AFCO about technique. It is important that you get used to doing the Press Ups (and sit ups) in the manner that you will be expected to perform them when you reach PRTC. If you don't do the exercise correctly, it won't be counted, and may result ion you not achieving the required standard.

The AFCO will have access to a set of photos that show where your hands should be in relation to your shoulders for the press ups, and also the correct form for the sit ups.

There are also (I believe, although I can't access it through this ancient PC) a set of videos on the RAF Recruiting website that talk you through the relevant coaching points for each exercise.