• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Report On The 9 Weeks At RTS Halton

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blue_eyed_girl

First of all, I would like to say do not put any naïve, silly comments on E-GOAT if your going to RTS Halton in the near future, as they are watching! (Thank You Sgt M********for my embarrassing first day).

I am going to try and explain the 9 weeks at RTS Halton and put right any rumors you may of heard and fear.

First of all I loved my basic training at Halton. Even though it was hard at times, I have never had so much fun before. I can honestly say I enjoyed every second of it. If you’re a person that enjoys a challenge and meeting new people then the RAF is definitely for you.

Be aware though, as soon as you have done your attestation, you belong to them! No more sleep-ins, no more parents there to wipe your bum and ironing and cleaning will become a second nature to you.

The accommodation at Halton is not too bad. Bare in mind, they are old buildings but they do serve their purpose for the 9 weeks. It’s a 12 man room with a decent sized bed space and shared ablutions. I found living in shared accommodation to be great as you all bond and have a right laugh together. You will have your arguments, that is what comes with shared accommodation. But remember, don’t keep running to the Duty NCO every time you have one, you are all adults so you can sort it out like adults. I definitely have left Halton with friends for life.

If you like roast potatoes then you will love Halton. I found the food to be well prepared and plentiful but with not a lot of variety. They seemed to put the same food on; every lunch time it would be chips and something else and then at dinner it would be roast potatoes and something else, it got so repetitive! By the end of the nine weeks I couldn’t wait to get back to my normal eating habits. On the other hand, due to the amount of calories I was burning a day I was able to indulge myself when it came to snacks and chocolate.

The staff I had were great and they did their best to get us through the nine weeks. Everyone had their own style and way of doing things. Some loved to embarrass you and that’s what got them up in the morning whilst others would teach you things and make it really fun at the same time.

The first two weeks were the hardest of the nine as you would be getting up at 4/5 o’clock in the morning and if you are not use to that then this can come as a big shock. You are taught how to iron your kit correctly, which for some, didn’t even know what an iron looked like. Also, the first two weeks gave you a chance to get to know each other and learn how to work in a team together.

The regiment part of the training has got to be the best of all. I enjoyed this the most and I had so much fun. The first week of regiment was the hardest as on the second day you are chucked straight into the gas chamber where you take in a few mouthfuls of CS gas and then you feel like you are going to die! The second week is first aid, the third week is working with the rifles (not a gun!) and the fourth week is CPT, which has got to be the best week. You go to an abandoned base where you go patrolling with a rifle and then you get to have fire fights at stupid o’clock in the morning. What is better then that?

For the last two weeks of the course you become senior flight. The last two weeks are mainly made up of inspections, arms drill and tests. You will have plenty of time in these two weeks to socialize and have plenty of beer. The arms drill is the hardest as you will be taught something that you have never done before and it also doesn’t help that the rifle weighs the same as a small child.

This was the proudest day of mine and my family’s life. You get to show off all you have been taught over the past nine week. You have a parade where you look amazing standing with your rifle and showing off to your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jamie.

my time at halton

my time at halton

wasn't sure if to definitely put it here,

but id like to let all the budding potential recruits know what halton is really like having passed out 2 weeks ago :)

for a start its all changed we were a bit of a guinea pig flight you do 3 and a half weeks foundation phase 4 at regiment and 1 and a half blue phase.

gsk and gst is all contained in the first 3, for me the most boring bit, being a cadet i found lots quite frustrating, you learn drill from scratch etc etc, but once its over ur relieved, day 14 drill check was fun, day 21 inspection was tough but managed to get through unscarred,

regiment is tough but really enjoyable once you look back, while your there you hate it. but once you are given your cards its all worth while. CPT is just a pain, i didn't really enjoy it at all to be honest,

by the way, cbrn week is the worst week ever, its so boring and youll get bored of cs gas very fast! but stick at it and dig in and youll get through the rest of regiment is alot more fun!

BUT once you get into your blues, it all makes lots of sense. the last week and a half was my favourite by a long way 8 flight finally picked themselves up we won the drill comp and block comp in one day winning the inter flight trophy. and arms drill is great fun, also arm numbing!

PT at halton isn't that hard, if you are below standard and you should know, just apply yourself during lessons, work hard and youll improve big time, mate went from 8.5 on the bleep test to 11.5 in 9 weeks so if he can do it anyone else can! was the best part of the course for me, great fun and the fastest hour of the day by a long shot. if u cant swim well get in the pool and practice, the assessment isn't hard but you need to be a reasonable swimmer as i do it in full combats.

the best bit of all though is the mates youll gain, i miss all of them so much now wish i cud go back,

apply yourself and keep your head down and Halton will be a great memory and that passing out parade if you don't have a small tear ill be surprised!

hope its handy!

and sorry for any text speak i have gone through and tried to correct it :)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If anybody else who has just been through the sausage factory that is Halton wants to write up their experiences and thoughts please do...

Put them in this forum and we'll sort them into a suitable place...As time moves on things will change and these reports will become dated and inaccurate so lets see some more recent ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.