• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Music? Is anything original?

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Keane = Travis

The Kaiser Chiefs = XTC

Franz Ferdinand = The Divine Comedy

The Ordinary Boys = Madness

Or am I just an old fart?

By the way. I am too old, fat and bald to like the Arctic Monkeys?
:pDT_Xtremez_15:

B

Bluntend

You'll enjoy "Everyone Sounds Like Coldplay Now" then. I'll try and find the lyrics...

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

mightyhunter

Sergeant
fatbaldchief said:
Keane = Travis

The Kaiser Chiefs = XTC

Franz Ferdinand = The Divine Comedy

The Ordinary Boys = Madness

Or am I just an old fart?

By the way. I am too old, fat and bald to like the Arctic Monkeys?
i agree.
there's also a touch of marillion (H-era not Fish-era) about keane and The Ordinary Boys are a sort of ska/clash cross.... to me anyway.
if i answer your question right, is there a free pie?
:pDT_Xtremez_27:
bloc party are the band to listen to at the mo. or if you like your music a bit on the prog-side, can i suggest the mars volta?

Last edited:
T

The Controller

Who are these popular duo-beat combos from yesteryear all (supposedly) playing recognizable tunes from the current hit-parade on the wireless?? I pride myself on knowing all the latest (heavy) bands....Joe Loss, Robin Last etc......even that long-haired hippy - Clit Richard. Now that is taking things a little far.... let's have tunes that are original and one can tap one's (slippered) feet to whilst watching Juke Box Jive on the television!:eek:

There...I've spoken up for all the modern, progressives amongst us. What do you say YCCMA???? :confused:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Hey Controller, when you ask for the thoughts of YCCMA, is that an impression of the "His Master's Voice" dog thingy???

fatbaldchief

Corporal
MightyHunter.

Question right = Free Pie.

Flavours to choose from:

Last one in T Bar freezer.

Cat.

Whelk and Apricot.

Or my personal flavourite (See what I did there?) ............ Pie!
:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Oh, and I like Bloc Party but dare not admit it for fear of 'Just pretending to be trendy cos he is gettin old'

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Oh I forgot.

The Fomz - Acid Jazz? KILL ME NOW !!!

I would rather be peeled, buggered, rubbed with Salt N Vinegar crisps and force fed beansprouts whilst listening to a continuously looped Daniel O'Donnell Mega-live-box-set-a-rama through laser electrodes burning into my ear anvils.

But thanks for the suggestion :pDT_Xtremez_32:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Hey FatBaldChief............it was only a suggestion, but as for the torture - I am led to believe that there are clubs in certain parts of London that cater for that sort of thing!!:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Saying that, I would rather listen to that, than the absolute S***e R&B crap that my daughter and all her chavvy mates listen to.
Battery acid eyeballs and pouring comes to mind.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

I would actually argue that Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys et al are about the only original thing in music these days. At least 50% of the pop charts consists of cover versions and re-mixes.

These talent contest winners (and losers) that seem to fill the radio playlists are just singing karaoke - (except Will young - who seems to have landed himself a pretty good song writer).

Yes, the afore mentioned bands and similar (hard-fi, the killers etc) do sound like previous bands - but isn't that what they call 'musical influence'?

Where would the beatles and the 'stones be without gerry lee lewis and chuck berry - and where would they be without blues (so on and so on...)

Shouldn't we be grateful that the young bands of today such as artic monkeys have had a solid musical up-bringing from their parents?

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

as an afterthought....

I dare say Thom Yorke grew up listening to his dad's Pink Floyd LPs...

And Chris Martin was quite a big fan of Radiohead...

Any wonder there are bands around (6 years on) who sound like Coldplay?

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Ah now the Arctic Monkeys are a different barrel of Halibut. They have obviously been heavily influenced by their working class Northern surroundings and I feel that being working class and northern myself I would have been in the Arctic Monkeys if they had existed when I was a young un. All that I was missing was musical talent and a penchant for lyric writing that would make John Lennon grin.

No I lie.
I really wanted to be Elvis. I still do. Well apart from not being dead that is.
Or is he indeed dead?

But hey ho and each to their own. My daughter likes The Pussycat Dolls so my brainwashing with hours of The White Stripes and Radiohead has obviously not worked!

Boiled Liver and Star Fruit pies will be here in time for Easter.
Todays Pie special at FBCs Olde Pie shoppe:

Marmite and Chipolata.

Get em while their hot their lovely !!

T

The Controller

fatbaldchief said:
Ah now the Arctic Monkeys are a different barrel of Halibut. They have obviously been heavily influenced by their working class Northern surroundings and I feel that being working class and northern myself I would have been in the Arctic Monkeys if they had existed when I was a young un. All that I was missing was musical talent and a penchant for lyric writing that would make John Lennon grin.

No I lie.
I really wanted to be Elvis. I still do. Well apart from not being dead that is.
Or is he indeed dead?

But hey ho and each to their own. My daughter likes The Pussycat Dolls so my brainwashing with hours of The White Stripes and Radiohead has obviously not worked!

Boiled Liver and Star Fruit pies will be here in time for Easter.
Todays Pie special at FBCs Olde Pie shoppe:

Marmite and Chipolata.

Get em while their hot their lovely !!

Are you on any kind of medication???:eek:

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Hang on my last post was serious .........

Hang on my last post was serious .........

Sorry for being a bit 'Wacky' chaps.
I'm off to bed to update my state boards and read the JAP !!
Ptannnnngggg !!
Night Night ladies

Y

You Can Call Me Al

Controller - don't tar me with your brush! I'm well up to speed with modern tunes. I just can't abide lyrics that one can't understand! I do enjoy a spin of a disc (see - modern terminology), favouring especially the more progressive sounds of tight combos and solo artistes such as the Luton Girls Choir, The Singing Nun, Roger Whittaker - need I go on?

fatbaldchief

Corporal
The MO says .........

The MO says .........

Ok Mr. Controller and Mr. BEngO on your recommendations I visited the MO for advice with regards to my condition.
He thoroughly examined me and diagnosed that year's of dedicated pie eating had caused massive depletion of frontal lobe brain matter due to puffpastryitis.

He said there was no way back, prescribed me a commission and sent me off to be a JEngO !!

Ber dum toosh!! I thank you
:pDT_Xtremez_31:

By the way on the Music front. Listen to the Arctic Monkeys album. If you don't laugh out loud you are dead. TTFN

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Why do people insist on calling the latest Rap/Urban hybrid R&B? The only true R&B is that from the late 50's up to the early 70's. Sam & Dave, Otis, Wilson Pickett, Blind Lemon, the Temptations, O'Jays et al. I challenge anyone at a wedding/christmas do/sports and social bop, not to get up when the DJ does his "Soul Segue". It is now, and always will be the finest music to come out of Memphis, Detroit and Chicago. Go and see a Blues Brothers tribute band, or Jools Holland or Paul Jones and his blues band and I gaurantee you'll be "dancin' in the streets"

Having said that I like the Arctic Monkeys, Foo fighters, Jack Johnson and a few other of the new breed.

By the way, seen the latest Morgan platinum card with "Sean", the guy that likes to look good? I know a few blokes like him!