• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mod Form 443 (Aircrew Nyrex Folder)

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'm trying to make a Gen book up but I can't for the love of God find any of the plastic inserts for storing this info.

I don't suppose anybody could find me a good NSN for these?

As always, much appreciated!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I look like Bruce Willis

I Suck Like George Michael
Mods!

Good gen books are illegal documents under MAA regulations as they are not subject to amendment nor are they registered.

Please lock this thread immediately.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I might of known you'd pop out of your box....:pDT_Xtremez_07:

If you have access to Defacto on an ESS terminal, you will notice under the AV Tab a wealth of good gen which is acceptable (And widely recognised on Typhoon) to be kept in a 'Good Gen Book'. CB Lists for example.

Much more than that and yes the book becomes illegal under the MAA.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The only 'Gen Books' I allowed my blokes to have were tool lists for tasks.

Anything else went straight in the bin.

Who is responsible for the accuracy of the 'Gen Book' and how often is it checked?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
It is information managed and regularly updated by TDSS.

Like I've already mentioned, the info for such a book on Typhoon is limited to such stuff as Circuit Breakers, Panel Numbers, LRI Locations and the various No-go's we get via the MDP.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Ahh, the old 'Illegality of Gen Books' topic.

I'm not ashamed to say that one of my most treasured memoirs from my time on Harriers is the small Gen Book myself and my mates created and yes they were illegal even back in the 80s. But useful? I should co-co.
Mine had no procedures in it, but things like lists of tools needed to do certain jobs and the 'c' stores needed including the rack locations in stores where they were kept. Most useful when packing for a landaway (usually got nailed just before going off shift on days when a jet is now stranded at Newcastle or Kemble) so that you left in the knowledge that at the very least you had the tools and spares needed to do the most common tasks.
Yes we knew the books were illegal but we took it on risk that on a mature platform like the Harrier the chances of something like the spec of a seal or the diameter of a union changing without us knowing about it were small indeed.