• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mk10 Fire Truck Crash at Wittering

Hi Folks,
Just after a bit of help, I was chatting to a friend the other day and we got on to the subject of Mk10's(very sad). If i remember correctly one was put on it's side at Wittering as it made it's way back the fire section? Anybody got anymore info on this?

Cheers Smokinbarrels

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Hi Folks,
Just after a bit of help, I was chatting to a friend the other day and we got on to the subject of Mk10's(very sad). If i remember correctly one was put on it's side at Wittering as it made it's way back the fire section? Anybody got anymore info on this?

Cheers Smokinbarrels

Did it happen in the late 80's and was the Mark 10 the one with the steering wheel in the middle?

IIRC there was an accident involving the station fire section but it was outside the camp gate after responding to an emergancy call to an other RTA on the A1
Although I believe that may have been a Mk 7(?) engine
Wittering Med Centre and Fire used to cover a stretch of the A1 so the ambulance and fire section used to respond to RTA's etc

I think ( but don't quote me on this) as it exited the main gate onto the A1 it was struck by either or possibly both a transit van and an articulated lorry
This caused the driver to lose control and it was put on it's side the crew escaped uninjured

I seem to remember an RAF fire engine not long after was involved in a serious crash on the A17 in which two firemen were killed
I think that was a Mk 10 and may have rolled at what was the bottom off the very steep hill on the A17 as you come from Cranwell towards the A1
The road has been changed now as it used to pass through a bit off a village just before the turn off for Beckingham ranges and used to have a bit of a sharp turn in it

Sadly two fitters were killed at Wittering after they rolled a Uni Mog during a break test
Is it this your thinking off?

Hope this helps

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I think ( but don't quote me on this) as it exited the main gate onto the A1 it was struck by either or possibly both a transit van and an articulated lorry
This caused the driver to lose control and it was put on it's side the crew escaped uninjured

I drove in the opposite direction back onto camp shortly afterwards and I'm pretty sure it happened pretty much as you described it HWDR.

Sadly two fitters were killed at Wittering after they rolled a Uni Mog during a brake test.

Remember that one too :pDT_Xtremez_09: It went end-over-end IIRC due to the light weight of the vehicle and the power of the brakes; thereafter we were forced to drive around with lumps of concrete in the back to prevent the same thing recurring. The crash happened way out at the back of camp on a quiet piece of road used for these tests and was only witnessed by a civilian driving along the A47 who reported it to the emergency services who passed it on to the unit otherwise goodness knows how long it would have lain there. Very sad.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Sadly IMHO the Uni Mog accident was just an accident waiting to happen
We all used to try and stand the Uni Mogs up in the air on their front wheels particuarly when the brakes where cold
It soon put a stop to that and probably saved a few more people from getting injured

Soupdragon

Piermaster
I dont know anything about Wittering and Crash Tenders or Uni Mogs but i remember a crash tender taking an unplanned dip in Gibraltar Bay when it skidded off the end of the runway one night.

Fire Section eh? always guaranteed to give you a laugh. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I know the guy who broke his back on the RTA at Wittering. As previously said he was responding to an RTA off camp and his truck was hit by an HGV and then overturned.
He was dragged out of the stricken vehicle by some passing RAF heroes, despite the fact that he pleaded with them not to because of his back injuries.
He was unable to find them to thank them properly for nearly turning him into a paraplegic.

Can't remember if the truck was a Mk9 or Mk1) though.

I worked with a guy who was in the TACR2 that rolled on MPA killing the driver in the 80's. Sh1t dangerous trucks.

Last edited:
Evening Gent's,
Thanks for all the replies, i'm not sure if my question has been answered but it's been really interesting reading the posts you've replied with!! Maybe we sould start a new thread entitled 'Amusing stories form the Fire Section'?!!!

Many thanks Smokinbarrels