• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mhs

O

onceasapper

I've already started this thread off on ARRSE, Rum Ration and Rear Party so now you crabs can have a turn

I'm either very brave or very foolish but......

I'm a helpdesk manager working for MHS in Liverpool and the only ex squaddie or former military type there

Hopefully the mods will make this a sticky but rather than you lot ranting off and calling MHS b******s all the time, I will answer any queries I can on line.

Yes you can rant and rave and swear as much as you like (unless you upset the Mods) but I'll ignore it, pop open a yellow handbag and have another beer. However, if you have something constructive to say, I will try and help you.

I'm ex Royal Engineers and was a pad over 13 years (some good and some really way down in the standard stakes - flats in Guillimont Fields in Farnborough (damp concrete walls) come to mind) and way way back in time I was a pads brat in Plymouth (and thanks to the guys on Rum Ration for pointing me in your direction)

I'm not going to get into any slanging matches with you lot, wives or contractors but will pass constructive comments on and hopefully play a part in making the service better. I'll even answer some queries when I can.

I won't be here everyday and will do this in my own time (I have a life outside of work, a degree in psychology to finish and we don't have web access in work) so be patient with me

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Good on you Sapper.
It'll be nice that someone with a mil background who knows the situ is in a position to help, and more importantly, is willing to.

1st query: - Can you explain why, after, I am told between an agreement between DE and MHS, that anyone moving into a SFA cannot view it before accepting it? Most people have their own furniture and possibly need to measure rooms, check if there is sky/ntl, telephone connections etc, so they can maybe pre-book services. Or, even to make sure the place is not a sh1t hole? I am told that MHS now hold all the keys and refuse to let anyone in an unoccupied to pre view?

2nd query: -Again, apparently from another agreement between DE and MHS, a person can only decline 1 SFA and has to accept the second offer? (this may be more DE, but after I inquired I was told a joint decision), and all this blind as one cannot view before accepting, as above? Surely people have different needs? Some want near a supermarket/shop, others near a bus stop or school or away from noise or near a playground or next to the pub? We all have different requirements, and I know we are given a dream list, but I have been told by DE that, 'it's done because MHS make sure all SFA's are the same so there is no need to view or give anyone any choice anymore, and besides, everyone will ONLY CHOOSE THE GOOD ONE'S AND LEAVE THE BAD' (this is virtually an unabridged quote!). We cannot even do a proxy march in anymore.

I know there is an agenda to move all out to civvy accom, but some of us have houses which we cannot live in due to location/postings etc, and may not want to in the area we are posted to.

Probably a bit of a heavy start for your thread, but as I said, nice one mate, even for the interest. It's a subject close to many hearts, especially wifeys, who I'm sure you can appreciate, we have to answer to.

Cheers

D

p.s. I vote Brize for the worst Accom in the forces.....any takers?

O

onceasapper

Downsizer said:
I'd like answers to these questions too, MHS wouldn't let me into the quarter I was supposed to accept either, so I just stayed in the office until the MHS chap decided it would be easier to just go to the quarter with me. I took this opportunity to discuss the work required on the quarter to bring it up too standard prior to march in, and he agreed fully, and assured me it would be sorted. So why 4 days before my march in has nothing been done??:pDT_Xtremez_32:

You'll have to call the helpdesk with this one

I'm at Home

We'd have to contact your local zone to get some info

O

onceasapper

dantura said:
Good on you Sapper.
It'll be nice that someone with a mil background who knows the situ is in a position to help, and more importantly, is willing to.

1st query: - Can you explain why, after, I am told between an agreement between DE and MHS, that anyone moving into a SFA cannot view it before accepting it? Most people have their own furniture and possibly need to measure rooms, check if there is sky/ntl, telephone connections etc, so they can maybe pre-book services. Or, even to make sure the place is not a sh1t hole? I am told that MHS now hold all the keys and refuse to let anyone in an unoccupied to pre view?

Don't know that one (Never was allowed to pre view quarters in the Army)
but I'll ask the question

2nd query: -Again, apparently from another agreement between DE and MHS, a person can only decline 1 SFA and has to accept the second offer? (this may be more DE, but after I inquired I was told a joint decision), and all this blind as one cannot view before accepting, as above? Surely people have different needs? Some want near a supermarket/shop, others near a bus stop or school or away from noise or near a playground or next to the pub? We all have different requirements, and I know we are given a dream list, but I have been told by DE that, 'it's done because MHS make sure all SFA's are the same so there is no need to view or give anyone any choice anymore, and besides, everyone will ONLY CHOOSE THE GOOD ONE'S AND LEAVE THE BAD' (this is virtually an unabridged quote!). We cannot even do a proxy march in anymore.

DE would appear to be the culprits here MHS are the repair/prep service Policy would be made by your landlord ie DE HD

I know there is an agenda to move all out to civvy accom, but some of us have houses which we cannot live in due to location/postings etc, and may not want to in the area we are posted to.

Probably a bit of a heavy start for your thread, but as I said, nice one mate, even for the interest. It's a subject close to many hearts, especially wifeys, who I'm sure you can appreciate, we have to answer to.

Cheers

D

Major Geek

Sergeant
I agree that the policy of not being permitted to view SFAs before "march in" is crazy. You are virtually forced to accept the house at march in otherwise how else are you to supposed to schedule removals and everything else.

My contact with the MHS Service Desk has been good so far. Polite and professional (very unlike the JPAC!!!!!!!). I recently had a problem where they had booked a repair but for some reason didn't schedule it locally. I rang up and they had somebody round in half an hour.

Since when have proxy march ins been stopped? Must be a local thing as we still have the option here.

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Major Geek said:
I agree that the policy of not being permitted to view SFAs before "march in" is crazy. You are virtually forced to accept the house at march in otherwise how else are you to supposed to schedule removals and everything else.
QUOTE]

Also, would anyone, anywhere buy or rent any property, even a garden shed, without going inside first? Sheer madness!
Guess it's that 3rd class citizen thing again because we wear a uniform.

D

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Had a problem with a leaky bath once, on a Thursday. Not too bad you may think, but when the bathroom is directly above your kitchen and the water is leaking right next to the light socket the problem suddenly appears worse. Phoned the MHS helpdesk to report problem only to be asked is it an emergency. Explained problem and the ins and outs of wigglies and water only to be told to avoid using the bath and someone will be round on the tuesday to have a look (not fix). With me being a sootie and the wife a nurse the bath suddenly becomes an essential item for everyday use. Now I'm sure that should have required some sort of PDQ remedial action to prevent either myself or Mrs Techie getting fried, not to fussed about our critters they can be replaced.
Bodgit the plumber came round and almost destroyed all the hard work I had put in to make the bathroom look nice and resolved the problem, even though he was only supposed to assess it and report the required fix. After watching his somewhat suspect craftsmanship I was praying for the return of mears. At least you could go down to their office and speak to someone face to face and get things sorted.
A bad experience that has put me off for life.

O

onceasapper

dantura said:
Good on you Sapper.

Cheers

D

Request for info passed to directors (expect answer sometime next week)

O

onceasapper

fat lazy techie said:
Had a problem with a leaky bath once, on a Thursday. Not too bad you may think, but when the bathroom is directly above your kitchen and the water is leaking right next to the light socket the problem suddenly appears worse. Phoned the MHS helpdesk to report problem only to be asked is it an emergency. Explained problem and the ins and outs of wigglies and water only to be told to avoid using the bath and someone will be round on the tuesday to have a look (not fix). With me being a sootie and the wife a nurse the bath suddenly becomes an essential item for everyday use. Now I'm sure that should have required some sort of PDQ remedial action to prevent either myself or Mrs Techie getting fried, not to fussed about our critters they can be replaced.
Bodgit the plumber came round and almost destroyed all the hard work I had put in to make the bathroom look nice and resolved the problem, even though he was only supposed to assess it and report the required fix. After watching his somewhat suspect craftsmanship I was praying for the return of mears. At least you could go down to their office and speak to someone face to face and get things sorted.
A bad experience that has put me off for life.

water on electric = emergency if contstant running water bath is not constant running water therefore urgent sorry I don't make the rules

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Sapper

Thank's for your reply. Water sat on celing and dripping through wiggly fitting into kitchen would appear to be an emergency to me. Even more so as Mrs Techie and I both work shifts and often have to cook in the evening, when it is dark, while the other has a bath to rid us of the horrors of our jobs.
It appears someone with an ounce of common should rewrite the rules.

T

The Masked Geek

A few years ago, a mate had a flat at Brize and it was above the contractors flat that they used as an office. He went down knocked on their door and told them that the wooden shelf beneath his water tank was damp and needed replacing. They told him that he would have to put it through the system as a routine job and not to bother them again.

2 weeks later when said shelf collapsed and several hundred litres of water (including the the water from the filler tap) rushed through the ceiling and into their offices, they came running up the stairs to sort out his water tank. We calmly walked out of the flat, locked the door and told them we'd be in the pub for the rest of the afternoon and if they wanted to get it sorted, they'd have to put it through the system as a routine job.

Got proper b0llocked for that one but it was worth it.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
onceasapper said:
Request for info passed to directors (expect answer sometime next week)

Any joy with the info Sapper? Reason for asking is that one of the lads in the bay is having the same trouble, and being passed from pillar to post trying to get a look inside the quarter that hes been allocated, and as its his 1st quarter, he has no idea what he's going to need...

so any help or info would be much appreciated

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
It seems that Onceasapper has done a bunk.

So much for the offer of help. Maybe he's been told to wind his neck in, got a new job, or he just can't be arsed anymore?

My missus is having a word with David Cameron our local MP about this crap next month in his surgery, maybe he would enjoy having a go at the current Gov. about the state of play, and asking a few embarrassing Q's?

D

tourettes

Corporal
The couple next door to me have just be posted, and whilst having a chat with his missus it comes out that she is having the same problem "Sorry you cant see inside your new quarter until the day you move in."

So if the house is in rag order how many people are going to reject the house in the knowledge that the removal van is probably 30 or so minutes behind them and that they will have to go through all the @rse ache of sorting out: mail redirection, gas. electric, phone etc etc.

Is this just a sly method of forcing us to accept whatever shoddy accomodation that Mhs decide to foist upon us.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As a matter of interest has anybody managed to find the rule where you can not view your offered quarter anywhere...If it's policy it has to be written somewhere...and thats a whole lot easier to slam on the table of Dvaid Cameron/TRBL (yes they do get involved in things like this)/Sun news desk and so on...

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Vim_Fuego said:
As a matter of interest has anybody managed to find the rule where you can not view your offered quarter anywhere...If it's policy it has to be written somewhere...and that's a whole lot easier to slam on the table of David Cameron/TRBL (yes they do get involved in things like this)/Sun news desk and so on...

I asked a DE 'manager' at Innsworth where this 'policy' was written so that I could quote it for future, and if he wouldn't mind faxing, E-mailing or posting a copy to me.
He of course refused, stating that it was an agreement between MHS and DE, and that he had it on E-mail, and because it was his personal E-mail he was unwilling to forward it on to anyone.
I asked our local DE office where they got their information about this 'policy' and they told me it was from a phone call and they didn't have anything in writing????

....really??

bunch of arseh0les...

..but I have their names to present to Mr Cameron, just for his reference you understand:pDT_Xtremez_15:

D

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
dantura said:
I asked a DE 'manager' at Innsworth where this 'policy' was written so that I could quote it for future, and if he wouldn't mind faxing, E-mailing or posting a copy to me.
He of course refused, stating that it was an agreement between MHS and DE, and that he had it on E-mail, and because it was his personal E-mail he was unwilling to forward it on to anyone.
I asked our local DE office where they got their information about this 'policy' and they told me it was from a phone call and they didn't have anything in writing????

....really??

bunch of arseh0les...

..but I have their names to present to Mr Cameron, just for his reference you understand:pDT_Xtremez_15:

D

It is not legal policy in that case...only locally agreed by people that do not have the power to make such decisions on policy....Try going to the nearest 'in house' SSAFA office and asking them to chase an answer for you...They are there to look after your welfare in a way and in a way this is about your welfare...Try corresponding with OC PSF who in turn will pass it up higher when he finds out your welfare/human rights are being undermined...

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
tourettes said:
The couple next door to me have just be posted, and whilst having a chat with his missus it comes out that she is having the same problem "Sorry you cant see inside your new quarter until the day you move in."

So if the house is in rag order how many people are going to reject the house in the knowledge that the removal van is probably 30 or so minutes behind them and that they will have to go through all the @rse ache of sorting out: mail redirection, gas. electric, phone etc etc.

Is this just a sly method of forcing us to accept whatever shoddy accomodation that Mhs decide to foist upon us.

A mate of mine posted in from overseas turned up at his allocated quarter a hour ahead of his the removals wagons. House was an absolute tip and he refused to accept it. Cue panic from wife and kids and the muppet trying to arrange the march-in tried to dig his heels in with the old "there is nothing else available". statement.

Fella basically said it was fine and asked for the details of the nearest hotel for himself and family and also where he could store his furniture for the time being. Then gets on the blower and asks for the telephone number for the Station Commander informing the rep that he expected either the RAF or DHE to cover the costs until a suitable quarter was availabe so he might as well find what the Stn Cdr thinks.

DHE rep now bricking it coz there is no backing down and accectance suddenly finds in 10 minutes an empty immaculate suitable quarter that had been allocated to someone due to arrive in 3 MONTHS TIME!!

Problem solved bar the house he was previously allocated didn't have a bit of work done to it to bring it up to par for at least 6 months, yet the Regional office was telling new applicants that there are no quarters available.

Poxy joke the entire system, for every one employee they have who gives a damn there is another 5 jobsworths who seem to think they have the right to treat families like dirt !!!!!!

O

onceasapper

I note that onceasappers threads on the arrse have gone quiet as well!

I'm back

Sorry I had to go away but we are not allowed internet in work and getting my degree completed and family and social needs took priority.

However, that said I'll try and visit as often as possible

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

How do you know when a contractor has been to your house to repair it ??

Easy

You can see the hoof prints on your lawn After all they are all Cowboys!!!!!