• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Metallica discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
I was watching the Metallica S&M DVD last night with a few beers and it got me thinking about all sorts of stuff. This isn’t intended to spark a debate, just to stimulate a conversation (as you would in a pub) about what in my opinion is one of the best live metal bands.

My thoughts:

1. I couldn’t help thinking that some of the musicians in the orchestra looked miserable as f@ck. Do you think they actually wanted to be there, or were they just thinking, “when’s payday?”. Actually my favourite musicians are the rather nice lady just after “minus human” and the absolutely filthy looking one before “Nothing else matters”. Watch it again!!

2. How incredible is James Hetfield’s voice? What a change from the spotty teenager on the Kill ‘Em All album. I wish I could play rhythm as well him, let alone sing at the same time.

3. After seeing Metallica 3 times now, I can honestly say that they are the most “Note perfect” band I have ever seen live. A lot of bands tend to deviate from the songs when played live, but not them!!

4. One for Mono here maybe – what’s so special about ESP guitars? Is it the active pickups? I know Hetfield sometimes plays his Explorer and it’s got a certain image, but a PRS does the job of a Strat and a Gibson!! How about a PRS with active pickups in the shape of an Explorer - that'd fit the bill.

5. My favourite song on S&M has got to be “No leaf Clover”. Also, the classical intro to “Battery” made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, especially when you try the “classic only” audio option

6. When Hetfield thanked Michael Kamen, Kamen just waved!! You would have thought he’d have thanked the musicians, seeing as they did most of the work. Why is a conductor so important anyway?

7. Does anyone think that Exodus (Kirk Hammett) and Flotsam & Jetsam (Jason Newstead) were any good? I’ve listened to some F&J, but thought it was sh!te.

8. What are your opinions of “Some kind of Monster”? Personally, I think it was very sad to see such a huge band reduced to paying a psycho-analyst thousands of dollars a month to re-discover their inspiration. Is Lars Ulrich’s Dad really a Troll who lives under a bridge? I thought Dave Mustaine was going to cry when he met Lars again. “For christ’s sake man you are in a metal band, DO NOT BE PINK & FLUFFY”

M

Mrs_Monobrow

Some kind of monster is great. It really gave you an insight into what makes them tick. I loved watching how they come up with words for a song for instance the line ''scratch your back so you wont stab mine'' came about because of them having to record a jingle for a radio station! Genius!

I took mono to see them at earls court a couple of decembers back, it was incredible! I probably looked very odd though, i was almost 7 months pregnant! But i was standing and singing with the rest of them!!

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Yeh, it's a good film, but like I say - as a fan, I thought it was quite sad to see such a great band in this predicament, especially when they were bickering and threatening to split up etc. I guess it's happened to most bands though in one form or another, eh?

M

Mrs_Monobrow

Yeh, it's a good film, but like I say - as a fan, I thought it was quite sad to see such a great band in this predicament, especially when they were bickering and threatening to split up etc. I guess it's happened to most bands though in one form or another, eh?

Certainly is sad. As you say though, most bands probably go through the same its just that this ''episode'' was caught on film. The whole paying that shrink guy, to me is just a typical american thing to do.

K

katinthehat

Certainly is sad. As you say though, most bands probably go through the same its just that this ''episode'' was caught on film. The whole paying that shrink guy, to me is just a typical american thing to do.

Brings to mind the documentary on VH1 I think it was, about the reforming of the Crue - now that was interesting viewing!!!:pDT_Xtremez_17:

T

Tigger

Was that the documentary where James had a few 'issues' and went awol for a while. Then they sorted out another guitarist ?

If so bloody awesome.

Enter Sandman is one of my fav ever tracks.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Seen Metallica twice now, St Anger tour 2003 and again last year as headliners at download festival.

I must say that last years show was probably the best concert I have ever been to. It was the 20th anniversary of 'Master of Puppets' so to commemorate the fact they played the entire album from start to finish, absolutely epic show, and probably one of the only times you would ever get to see Orion in it's entirety live.

I have always though Hetfield's voice to be a little ropey live, but not enough to detract from an awesome show.

BTW, did you know that Metallica make the sound-desk recordings of all their live shows available to download here. It costs $9.99 per show I think, but the quality of last years download recording is excellent.

K

katinthehat

Was that the documentary where James had a few 'issues' and went awol for a while. Then they sorted out another guitarist ?

If so bloody awesome.

The one where Mick Mars had to have hip replacements in order to perform!!
And the years of rock n roll have certainly taken their toll on Nikki - he used to be one of the biggest attractions in rock!!

Sorry RB - not trying to hijack the thread bud!!!

Mingmong - are you going to Wembley this year?

Last edited:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd

If so bloody awesome.

Yeh, I think james was in and out of Rehab and Jason Newstead was replaced on Bass because he was more interested in his side project. Before they got him sorted though, Bob Rock (what an ace name) was guesting.

Kat - it's OK, it's all part of Rock n Roll!!

I've asked before is anyone else going to see Meatloaf on Sunday night in Newcastle? Gig review to follow !!

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Mingmong - are you going to Wembley this year?[/QUOTE]

Afraid not Kat.
The list of concerts I have lined up so far doesn't let me justify it.
So considering I saw them last year, Iron Maiden has to win this year, probably the only current band that I would say are better than Metallica live.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Mingmong - are you going to Wembley this year?

Afraid not Kat.
The list of concerts I have lined up so far doesn't let me justify it.
So considering I saw them last year, Iron Maiden has to win this year, probably the only current band that I would say are better than Metallica live.

Well I would say my Fav band of all time is Iron Maiden, but Metallica are better live. It depends on what merits. Showmanship, professionalism, standard of sound crew??

For showmanship, I'd have said AC/DC were the best band I've seen cos of the props they used, but the reason I said Metallica was because most bands I know will adapt songs for live performances, as they haven't got the luxury of multi-track recording, but not so with Metallica, who play the songs as accurately as possible to the album, apart from certain sound effects such as at the beginning of "One".

PS how many of you know that "Kill 'em all" was originally to be called "Metal up yer arse", featuring a sword being thrust up from within a toilet? Loads, I bet.

M

monobrow

Ohhhhh I missed this one since I can't sit at a desk all day anymore!

Anyways, about ESP guitars..... They used gibsons lots in the early days (Quote from "the bloke in the guitar shop") "All you need mate, is a gibson flying V, a Boss DS1, and a marshall because thats pretty much all they used on Kill 'em All!

To be honest though, the tie with ESP could only be asked of the band. I've got interviews with the band around the "Load" era that show they have shed loads of guitars, BUT ESP make the signiture series. Like Vai and his Ibanez and Sambora with strats. They even used a Gretch White Falcon on Nothing Else Matters! (Beautiful guitars, but the bigsby must be annoying), Load they went rather mental on what they used, experimenting with different sounds (at one point they used an amp with a speaker that rotated for effect, probably on Low Mans Lyric intro)

Have to agree with you though, the battery intro on S&M gives me goosebumps! Like the calm before the storm. Awesome!

As for note perfect live, When we saw them a while back with Robert on bass, he snapped a string mid intro, the band carried on whilst the roadie got a new bass out, and he came back in perfect, and the band were completely un-fazed by it. Perfection in my eyes!

M

monobrow

PS how many of you know that "Kill 'em all" was originally to be called "Metal up yer arse", featuring a sword being thrust up from within a toilet? Loads, I bet.
Well that info was gleaned off "Cliff 'em All", a very spotty James Hetfield holding up a 12" copy of Kill 'Em All going on about record companies not liking it....

I'll dig out one of my books on em I have and come back....

Nowt... $hite book.

Last edited:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Well that info was gleaned off "Cliff 'em All", a very spotty James Hetfield holding up a 12" copy of Kill 'Em All going on about record companies not liking it....

I'll dig out one of my books on em I have and come back....

I've known it for years!!

M

monobrow

I've known it for years!!
Yup, Cliff Em All was out in 1987, (although I saw it about 1997!). If I remember right, it's the last concert they show... Wiki has a page on it though.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Up_Your_Ass said:
Both the album cover and name "Metal Up Your Ass" were to be used as the band's first album name and sleeve. However, the record company did not like the title, and bassist Cliff Burton was quoted saying, "**** it man, just kill 'em all..." and thus the name, Kill 'Em All, was created.
Although I did get a PM from Buphoonery a whileback thinking otherwise........

Last edited:
B

Bill Bones

Agreed RB - No Leafed Clover was the standout track on S&M. I thought The Unforgiven was a corker too though.

OK - Bone of contention/gun to head time. Which do you prefer:

Metallica thrash metal proper (through the never/for whom the bell tolls etc)

or

Metrallica ballads (Mama Said/The Unforgiven etc)

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Agreed RB - No Leafed Clover was the standout track on S&M. I thought The Unforgiven was a corker too though.

or

Metrallica ballads (Mama Said/The Unforgiven etc)

oooohhh that's a bit unfair. Depends on the mood, but gun to head, my fav album is Ride the Lightning. Does that answer it?

B

Bill Bones

Well it's proportionally more thrash, but had the first pukka ballad - Fade to Black.

Tricky.

M

monobrow

or
Metallica ballads (Mama Said/The Unforgiven etc)
Git!!! That's a tough one! I like most of the albums in different ways though. And most contain some part of slowed down rock.... Well except Load and Reload which were good, but not enough high tempo thrash!

Gun to the head for an album it'd be Master of Puppets.
Gun to the head for a song though and it'd be Nothing Else Matters.

B

Bill Bones

For me (Gun to thems head) It'd be The Black Album as album and For Whom The Bell Tolls as track.

Don't tell the missus that though - she loves Nothing Else Matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.