• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mess Dress Issue or Grant?

The SNCO's No 5 Mess dress is finally getting issued to everyone promoted after 1 April 2011, which is great.

My predicament is that I was promoted in Dec 10. No worries I hear you say "you can get the £250 grant"

Well strangely due to the issuing of the uniform they have stopped the grant as of the 31 March 2011. So because I didn't claim the grant immediately it looks like I may of fallen into a loophole where I can't claim the grant or get it issued?

Have any fellow goaters fallen into this rather small loophole? If so what did you do?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Those of us that got promoted before the grant/issue had to buy our own.

If I was you I'd now be looking for a second hand party outfit.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The SNCO's No 5 Mess dress is finally getting issued to everyone promoted after 1 April 2011, which is great.

My predicament is that I was promoted in Dec 10. No worries I hear you say "you can get the £250 grant"

Well strangely due to the issuing of the uniform they have stopped the grant as of the 31 March 2011. So because I didn't claim the grant immediately it looks like I may of fallen into a loophole where I can't claim the grant or get it issued?

Have any fellow goaters fallen into this rather small loophole? If so what did you do?
You fell into the loophole that you didn't sort your admin out in time.

Don't expect sympathy because you cocked up.

I'm certainly not looking for sympathy, just wondered if anybody else had experienced the same.

I appreciate that I could of claimed the grant sooner but there were a few people that were sent OOA recently at short notice and it changed my admin priorities. But in fairness I didn't mention that in my OP so you weren't to know.

FootTapper

Sergeant
I believe that all allowances are payable retrospectively (within a reasonable timescale as long as eligibility can be verified)

So it should just be a case of claiming it. Although if the admin for it was done seperate to the usual expenses/claims system that might make it harder.

Ignore those going on about having paid for their own (in the "good old days" no doubt) or people who think that claiming mess dress is the single most important task for a newly promoted SNCO. They've clearly not yet understood the vast chasm between "banter" and "whining like a bitch" and they fall firmly in the latter group.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I appreciate that I could of claimed the grant sooner but there were a few people that were sent OOA recently at short notice and it changed my admin priorities.

So you got promoted in Dec and it kicked off in Lybia in mid-March. What exactly were you doing in Dec, Jan & Feb that prevented you spending 5 mins filling in a form that gives you £250?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
So you got promoted in Dec and it kicked off in Lybia in mid-March. What exactly were you doing in Dec, Jan & Feb that prevented you spending 5 mins filling in a form that gives you £250?
Nothing to whinge about otherwise.

Just generally getting my head around the Job and the Rank. Part of me also thought "if I get the money early I'm gonna spend it so I'll wait until one pops up for sale then claim it" in hindsight a bit of an error but hey you live and learn....

Footapper: Many thanks for your comments I'll put the claim in with HR and see what happens. In the words of DR Pepper "what could possibly go wrong"

M

MyShineyAr$e

Just generally getting my head around the Job and the Rank. Part of me also thought "if I get the money early I'm gonna spend it so I'll wait until one pops up for sale then claim it" in hindsight a bit of an error but hey you live and learn....

So, you were going to buy a cheap second hand set and pocket the rest of the cash, instead of using it as it was intended; to offset the cost of a new mess dress? You don't deserve the grant.

You are no better than the tools who take the grant, buy a TV and then wear their number ones to the mess!

So, you were going to buy a cheap second hand set and pocket the rest of the cash, instead of using it as it was intended; to offset the cost of a new mess dress? You don't deserve the grant.

You are no better than the tools who take the grant, buy a TV and then wear their number ones to the mess!

To be honest I'd not thought about it. I was aware that you could get one second hand for less and pocket the rest but I certainly wasn't that bothered if it cost me £100 or £400 as long as it was a good fit. I honestly just hadn't got round to sorting it out.

Surely the fact that I didn't claim the grant straight away goes someway to suggesting I wasn't after making a quick buck for a new "TV"

I truthfully didn't realise the Mess Dress Grant was such a topical hot potato!

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
Submit your claim dude - I for one hope you get it.

Some things never change, probably the same whining dinosaurs that moaned when I had paternity leave or got my first move into quarters paid for plus disturbance. Basically, because they never had it means no-one else should.

In fact sod it, get the cash and go and buy a tv anyway - just be sure to let these lot know about it!:pDT_Xtremez_42::pDT_Xtremez_14:

Roobsta

Corporal

Sat blissfully unaware that this was a "time limited" offer that was about to be withdrawn. No publications about it on my Sqn, or in SROs that I am aware of. Bought my own, brand new 7 years ago, on promotion. Hmmm...

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Must admit I have not even contemplated getting a No 5. I was under the illusion you could only claim your £250 if you had purchased a No 5 and not just claim it anyway. And as a STACKER I wasn't even aware of it was getting issued until a letter came through from the WO telling me. So it looks as though I have fallen foul of this loop hole as well. Saying that I think I will have a wander up to PSF and seek their advice.