• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mess Ball Photographers

M

MilTog

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Having done 26 years in the Army I have photographed many mess functions however one of the issues has always been what do you do when you are ill or get offered another function. The answer should be to find another military photography however even though I have been involved over a number of years in giving seminars about how to do these I have only met 2 other photographers involved in the same work.

We are now putting together a network via our site at http://www.mess-photographers.co.uk - so if you are a photographer still serving or ex-military involved in this type of work please get in contact.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I seem to remember all SNCOs Mess Function pics being taken by commercial piccy people?

M

MilTog

I am a commercial piccy person i.e. a professional photographer but I am also an ex-mess member so understand the hows and whys of the mess - there are a number of photographers from similar backgrounds, some of whom were ex-military photographers so we are therefore building a network of people that we know and trust to deliver a standard of product that suits the mess.

Personally I photographed my first mess function nearly 30 years ago when I was a young apprentice tradesman and continued to do so throughout my service.

We hope that with time i.e. once we have built up the network we can demonstrate the benefits of having ex-mess members covering your functions if that is not already the case.

toker1975

LAC
Being a serving RAF photog due to leave in 6 months time, have done my fair share of summer/xmas balls with either the SNCO/WO's and the zob's, (SNCO's always the preferrable), i might be able to provide you with some insight...especially as serving photogs can no longer do the bashes anymore!!

M

MilTog

Interesting point about the serving photogs not being able to do the functions.

Will you continue covering such functions when you leave?

Personally I have plenty of insight into these types of functions, covered many over the years and one of our group is an ex RAF WO as I said we are looking to build up the network so if you are interested get in contact.