• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Men having long hair in the military

StickyFingers

Sergeant
So, why can't we?

We have women in the regiment now, women are allowed long hair, men are not.

Is it discrimination?

Anyone got a good reason why other than "That's how it is!"

briggfairy

Sergeant
women have been in the military for millenia, men have always had to have short hair. The reason that I can see is that a bloke with long hair would probably look better than 65% of the waafs

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Totally right, there should be equality within the Armed Forces especially on hair. Therefore everyone, male and female (there only be two military Genders) should be shaved completely bald!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I had to ask permission to get a No 3 a couple of years back as it was classed as an extreme haircut so it works both ways.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Short hair! many years ago I was given this explanation. Way back it was for 2 reasons, firstly hygiene amongst the troops and secondly in the days of swords, shields, spears, knives, bows and arrows etc there was much more chance of hand to hand fighting and short hair was one less thing for your opponent grab hold of whilst slaughtering you. These days of ICBM's, decent bullets and sniper rifles etc short hair is somewhat irrelevant. Equality is where we should be, same rules on hair styles for both genders.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I had to ask permission to get a No 3 a couple of years back as it was classed as an extreme haircut so it works both ways.

Really?! I've been shaving what was left of my hair (which wasn't much I can tell you) since 1986 down to a grade 1. No comments apart from one anal doctor who stated 'I don't like my troops looking like Royal Marines'.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Men with long hair would end up with Fomz trying to get one pregnant in a dimly lit bop...and despite the obvious anatomical challenges he still isn't allowed to breed with anything....

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Men with long hair would end up with Fomz trying to get one pregnant in a dimly lit bop...and despite the obvious anatomical challenges he still isn't allowed to breed with anything....

I can see a world where Fomz did procreate, a world of little oompah-loompah sized Fomz's! There's s film in there somewhere, a horror film obviously!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Did a stint on Herrick with various NATO parters, ranging from Sgt to Capt, and some of our European brethren seem to cope quite easily with long hair / goatees etc.

We're just stuck with dinosaurs in charge, so I doubt the rules will ever change - although I believe the Army have dropped a lot of these requirements for certain Reserves posts (because they're struggling to recruit the people they need)

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Change the rules and allow it. Lets see how long it lasts on the first bloke to grow his hair long. Not only that, they will have to have a different type of No1 Hat.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Seems to me that we've changed to rules to meet every sort of requirement (think D&I / E&D), but refuse to progress with the rest of society. These days, having ultraviolet hair, hand tats, a goatee, piercings etc is all completely mainstream, so if the MOD doesn't adapt to how people want to live, they'll eventually being outside of the culture they need to recruit from (cyber is a good example of this).

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Seems to me that we've changed to rules to meet every sort of requirement (think D&I / E&D), but refuse to progress with the rest of society. These days, having ultraviolet hair, hand tats, a goatee, piercings etc is all completely mainstream, so if the MOD doesn't adapt to how people want to live, they'll eventually being outside of the culture they need to recruit from (cyber is a good example of this).

I'd do all them things if I could.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'd do all them things if I could.

I'd like to be able to grow a beard. I've got plenty of tats but I probably wouldn't go for hand tats, just because the skin on your hands gets a harder beating throughout your life than most of the skin on your body. As for ultraviolet hair, just having hair would be nice...mother nature has been confiscating my nuggetcover little by little for the last 20 years, to the point that I've got next to feck all left!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
.mother nature has been confiscating my nuggetcover little by little for the last 20 years, to the point that I've got next to feck all left!

Same here, but mine seems to have slipped from my bonce to my back......and the long haired dictator now wants to wax my back... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Must admit I grew my hair to the limits when I was in, maybe a little too long at times, obviously this increased the pull on the roots and now I'm bald so don't have a choice.

If only I'd kept it short like the SWO kept telling me, I could still be ginger, although saying that I might be able to manage a comb over if I move to a less windy place, or I could pop over to Turkey and have some of my arse hair transplanted up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Hair, beards. Sidies. At the end of the day, does it really matter how someone looks if they are bloody good at their job?

Where's ILLBW when you need an impartial view?