• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical Doc Confidentiality...

B

Bluntend

A few years ago, a Stn I was at discovered that their medical records were out of date and they needed to cross ref what was recorded in each person’s BMed27 against what the system was saying. All Flt Cdrs were tasked by Admin Wg with collecting up all of the Bmed27s from their staff and issuing them to the Med Ctr in a job lot so that they could be reviewed. The requirement to hand over their Personal Medical Records, however, was challenged by a number of my staff who felt more comfortable delivering their records in person rather than handing them into my CT CCS/Med/AFT co-ordinator. I had no problem with this, however, the Med Ctr did! Evidently, having the record books arriving in dribs and drabs was ‘unmanageable’. An argument ensued, first between my Chief and the Nurse at the Med Ctr and then between me and the Nurse at the Med Ctr – the outcome being individuals being entitled to deliver their Bmed27s by hand.

All arguments aside, I still am unsure about the rules on patient confidentiality and the BMed27. Gone are the days when an individual’s medical records were stored away safely within the Med Ctr with only a list of jabs being held by the individual. Now everything from vaccination data to mammography, cervical screening details, operations and ‘lifestyle’ information are contained within this document.

The misgivings of my staff to hand over comprehensive and intimate details of their medical history are fully understandable. I also have misgivings over whether being in possession of a subordinate’s med docs is wise, especially in this age of litigation. I am curious to see what peoples views are on the powers that be ‘ordering’ an individual to hand over their medical records to anyone other than Med Ctr staff

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

This would be covererd by the NHS Code of practice Confidentallity, and dare I say it It's a breach of human rights law and data protection law. What are they going to charge you with if you refuse to hand over your documents?

Oracle

LAC
As a Medic, I can understand the reluctance of personnel to hand over a Bmed27 that contains information that may be sensitive. However the reason this request is made is to ensure that all vaccination records are up to date for the use of admin staffs. The booklet in question can contain a lot more information than that which it is currently used for, the medical staffs at most units do not routinely fill in any more details than vaccinations, possibly not taking full advantage of this document. This situation is partly due now to the issue of the Operational Medical Record when deploying which will contain all the additional information required making the filling in of the Bmed27 with anything but vaccination records a duplication and waste of effort.

Having said the above it can be assumed that the only information held in the Bmed27 would be that of vaccinations, information that is made available to admin staff openly on the SAMA system, additionally there are moves to include this information on the STARS operational database. This information of vaccination status is therefore not considered to be Restricted Medical information which would allow for other than medical staff to handle these documents.

Having said all of the above if any person registered within a practice for which I had responsibility objected to this process they would be allowed to present their document direct to the medical centre, I would hope that all other practice managers would take the same approach to ensure patients have confidence that personal and private information would be sufficiently safeguarded. If any person feels that they wish this to happennthey should approach their practice manager or their deputy.:pDT_Xtremez_19:

B

Bluntend

Oracle, thanks for the reply. I think some of the issues experienced in the past at the Stn I mentioned were through admin staff (not necessarily med ctr staff) regarding the newly issued BMed27 as simply a list of vaccinations and not as a comprehensive breakdown of an individual’s medical history. As a result, individuals were understandably unhappy to be expected to hand over this information to their Boss (or indeed the regiment section whilst doing CCS) simply to ensure the AFT, CCS and Jab details were all up to date. IMHO it does seem that there is a degree of duplication with the BMed27 and to be honest I can’t see why we got rid of the old jab cards. I think a lot of the problems in the past came about by glitches with the SAMA system and perhaps with the migration to JPA and STARS things will improve. I must point out that aside from on this one occasion, I have always found Med (and dental) Ctr staff to be accommodating and helpful in the extreme.

:pDT_Xtremez_22:

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Surely if the admin person tasked to collect the Bmeds has completed the MoD course on Protecting Info then she has the "appropriate training and trust" ( I use those terms very loosely) to take delivery and hold of these documents? *Turns off Devils Advocate mode*

timaloy

Corporal
The med centre had a wee problem with mine when I asked them to fill in a freedom of information request for mine, my argument was that I had to do it to see my medical record from them. I pee'd them right off but it was well funny

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Personally I think that everyone should hold their own records and be responsible for them being correct and up to date. The medical staff should retain the onus for the data being entered at each stage i.e. after vaccination or medicals and perhaps carry out the odd check. This would apply to vaccination documents only though; the old Form Med 4 (Personal Medical Record) isn't even used any more since the introduction of the new IT systems. We still have to keep them in loads of filing cabinets though since the chimps at Command can't make a decision as to whether or not to get rid of them.