• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical Appeal process

Yes. Make your appeal. Go for it and keep chasing your dreams
Thanks mate I will but reading loads of horror story’s saying it’s not worth it coz they won’t reverse the outcome, but if i don’t try I will regret it 👍🏻but hopefully someone sees some common sense.

bigjd

LAC
Gather as much evidence as you possibly can from your GP. Write a polite but concise covering letter to go with it and wait. It can be done, I appealed when I joined the Army reserves and recently passed my RAF medical so it can be done. That being said every case is different and certain standards are set in stone.

Give it a shot, bare in mind first stage of appeal is heard by somebody close to the original decision maker. If that is rejected you can go to stage 1b appeal and that goes higher. Beyond that the final level is level 2 and that goes to the top doctors in the RAF to make a final decision. If it's something you want then be persistent and give it your best.

Good luck

Gather as much evidence as you possibly can from your GP. Write a polite but concise covering letter to go with it and wait. It can be done, I appealed when I joined the Army reserves and recently passed my RAF medical so it can be done. That being said every case is different and certain standards are set in stone.

Give it a shot, bare in mind first stage of appeal is heard by somebody close to the original decision maker. If that is rejected you can go to stage 1b appeal and that goes higher. Beyond that the final level is level 2 and that goes to the top doctors in the RAF to make a final decision. If it's something you want then be persistent and give it your best.

Good luck
Thanks mate much appreciate.👍🏻

bigjd

LAC
Did you have a final interview or is that still not happening?
The process is slightly different as I am transferring from the Army reserves to RAF regular. I was told I don't do the interview apparently. Waiting to find out what happens next now. I am going in as Aircraft Tech

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The process is slightly different as I am transferring from the Army reserves to RAF regular. I was told I don't do the interview apparently. Waiting to find out what happens next now. I am going in as Aircraft Tech
Good stuff and good luck!

Could you perhaps explain what your experience of transferring from the green slime reserves 😆 to potential Aircraft Technician was like? There could be others who are interested and are reading your case right now 👍🏻

bigjd

LAC
Good stuff and good luck!

Could you perhaps explain what your experience of transferring from the green slime reserves 😆 to potential Aircraft Technician was like? There could be others who are interested and are reading your case right now 👍🏻
Of course!

Essentially I applied in the usual way on the RAF website. I had to fill out a transfer request form with the Army which is used for both inter-service and inter-corps transfers, going through my motivation etc and getting chain of command approval. The RAF also sent me a form digitally that I had to fill out and then they decide what the training requirements etc are. My application couldn't be processed until I had chain of command approval but thankfully they have been really supportive.

In my case I had to do the AST as normal as I am transferring in to a totally different job role. I did the medical again like everybody else and the fitness test. The only difference so far is not having to do the interview.

I am waiting to find out if they will have me do the transferee and rejoiners course (TARC) or full phase 1. I don't know if that decision has been made yet.

A lot of it depends on your chosen job role and if it has any relevance to your Army job. I am waiting to find out what the next step is but really it's a lot like the normal process just with some extra paperwork from the Army and the RAF!

As I am still a private soldier I don't have any rank considerations, I imagine for those with rank it may impact your starting pay but I expect to start from the bottom like everybody else.

If I do the TARC it will be two weeks instead of full phase 1 and then on to phase 2 training at Cosford.

Of note, the RAF do the medical from scratch, my Army medical from 2019 was taken in to account (I was initially rejected and appealed successfully) but they insist the RAF have slightly different standards, so that took a good 6 months for Capita to finally clear.

I passed fitness over a month ago so I have no idea what is going on right now. I am just playing the waiting game!