• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medals, Gongs and Cub Scout Badges

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oh sir

Oh Sir, I'm curious as to why you think that these 'gizzit medals' as you call them cheapen the real ones.

Only (as I've been at great pains to make clear) if they are worn alongside the HMG awarded ones.
If you choose to proudly display them at home in a nice cabinet / frame etc, then great.
Trouble is, too many old guys are wearing unofficial, and even worse BOUGHT medals to "bolster the bling". (RBL's words, not mine although I agree).

When I left I only had 3 gongs, GW1, GSM (NI) and ACSM. In addition to these I have 2 gizzit medals, Saudi Liberation of Kuwait Medal (very nice) and Kuwaiti Liberation of Kuwait Medal sat in a draw at home. I most certainly earned those 2 in addition to my authorised one. Does that make me a Walt OS??

You're twisting my words again. At no point have I said anyone is a walt for cherishing said medals.

But wearing them, for example on a blazer mounted alongside other official medals DOES cheapen the proper ones. And it does happen. Hence the RBL's stance on that sort of thing.

Anyway we're straying miles off topic here. The original point I made was that the NATO ISAF shouldn't be worn alongside the OSM. At that remains the case.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
Oh Sir said:
But wearing them, for example on a blazer mounted alongside other official medals DOES cheapen the proper ones. And it does happen. Hence the RBL's stance on that sort of thing.
How exactly does it cheapen the proper ones if they are issued (albeit by a foreign country) for the same conflict?? If, after leaving the service a person wants to wear them on a blazer I really can't see the problem. They were rightfully earned by that person so they shouldn't be told they can't wear them.

I agree with your piont about bought medals, that definately can't be condoned.

E

Eskimo

Can someone please explain the logic of the UK and NATO please. Having just returned from Afghanistan, I have just received the NATO medal and also the Herrick medal. However, I have been told that I cannot wear the NATO medal as it is Non-article 5.

slightly miffed D&V

Just wear the one authorised medal awarded for the campaign.

Why would you want to wear more than one medal for one campaign?

To make it look like you have participated in more campaigns than you actually have?

T

The Almighty Fatwa Sam

Just wear the one authorised medal awarded for the campaign.

Why would you want to wear more than one medal for one campaign?

To make it look like you have participated in more campaigns than you actually have?

Come on now Eski.
I remember back in 1995 when you were worse than Muttley for trying to get gongs on your chest. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

E

Eskimo

You are just jealous mate. I heard you only left to dodge combat operations!

1 medal, 1 campaign. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

T

The Almighty Fatwa Sam

You are just jealous mate. I heard you only left to dodge combat operations!

LOL. I grew up in Northern Ireland mate. I was sick of seeing combat operations.
But seriously, it was more to avoid having to run up and down a gym constantly on remedial PT.
You remember how much I hated those runs we used to do round Hinchingbrook park and woods. I swear I never ever locked my door and pretended to be asleep when you came knocking :pDT_Xtremez_15:

1 medal, 1 campaign. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

So do the ones I made from old milk bottle caps not count then? I even made my own ribbins from tescos receipts and felt tip pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.