• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medals, Gongs and Cub Scout Badges

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D&V

Can someone please explain the logic of the UK and NATO please. Having just returned from Afghanistan, I have just received the NATO medal and also the Herrick medal. However, I have been told that I cannot wear the NATO medal as it is Non-article 5.

If the UK is sending out troops to support the NATO committment to the GWOT, why can I not wear the medal? it seems a little strange.

Also why do the Army chase OBEs,MBEs, CBEs etc etc? I know our branch is a little light in awards but it seems that unless you fly an aircraft, or are a PSO to a General, your hard work gets bugger all attention.

Answers on a postcard please.

slightly miffed D&V

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Its a damn good question, although its not a new one.

When I served in KFOR and SFOR the question was also raised. For both operations personnel were able to claim 2 medals, however only one was issued for the SFOR op.

I have been led to believe that this is due to a QR somewhere that states you can only be awarded one campaign medal for each campaign, regardless of how many are actually issued. Therefore e get to wear the UK medl, not the NATO one.

I would love to be put right on this with hard facts, if anyone knows any.

Goaty

Corporal
I've got both the SFOR and KFOR one and wear them both. I've also got the one for JACANA. By all accounts the HERRICK one is different as well. The gen from the JHC Admin at KAF/BAS was that a decision on the NATO one would be made in January.....

P

Pikey Mikey

I returned from Afghanistan in March and still havent got my medal!!

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
I returned for Afghanistan in March and still havent got my medal!!

You don't deserve one.

I understand from your posts before the Goat crash that you were a troublemaker and a malcontent. The RAF is better off without your sort and I think your attitude has (quite rightly) led to you medal paperwork being 'lost'.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

(I'm bored so I'm temporarily filling ILLBWs shoes until he returns)

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Seems strange that the guys who have tourexed arent getting their medals, there are literally hundreds of them in the J1 tent out here!

On a serious note, so many guys have gone home assissted by medical teams or worse, carried by their colleagues for a final journey. Isn't it time we introduced some form of 'purple heart' for these guys to recognise them over and above the rest of us?

C

cant keep a secret

clarification please....

clarification please....

Right - whats the story! Got back from the RAF fun camp last October, I still remain sans-medal. Not a glory chaser but would like to break up the otherwise plain lines of my 5's before an upcoming do, so I at least look like I might have done something with my life infront of the other boys and girls

so. Herrick gong / NATO gong - were do we stand - what are we supposed / allowed to wear??

O

Oh sir

Right - whats the story! Got back from the RAF fun camp last October, I still remain sans-medal. Not a glory chaser but would like to break up the otherwise plain lines of my 5's before an upcoming do, so I at least look like I might have done something with my life infront of the other boys and girls

so. Herrick gong / NATO gong - were do we stand - what are we supposed / allowed to wear??

1: Wear the OSM with clasp Afghanistan. As for non- receipt of the medal, go and see your Chief Clerk, they normally arrive on unit within about 3 to 4 months. Very recent issues have to be applied for on JPA though I believe.

2: Put your NATO one in a drawer, you're not allowed to wear it.

3: Go to the introductions forum and say hello properly.

Was in the STAN May June last year, recently phoned JPAC ref NATO/ISAF medal only to be told JPAC had approved but NATO have rejected all medal applications pre UK OP run, though others got theirs handed out from the psf in theatre. Got told each unit has to fight it's own case so wont see that bit of tin then.

A

Allah

medals

medals

No need to wear an infidel chuffing NATO infidel medal. Everyone gets an OSM

T

The Almighty Fatwa Sam

Can someone please explain the logic of the UK and NATO please. Having just returned from Afghanistan, I have just received the NATO medal and also the Herrick medal. However, I have been told that I cannot wear the NATO medal as it is Non-article 5.

I got a Nato Gong for spending 4 months getting sunburned on Lignano beach in Northern Italy while we were bombing the **** out of Serbia in 1999.

I didn't ask if I could wear it.
I just took it as read that if I'd been issued with it, then I was allowed to wear it. so I went ahead and got it mounted with my other gongs and stapled a wee bit of the ribbon onto my number ones.

I earned it, so I wore it, and **** anyone who say's I shouldn't.

T

The Almighty Fatwa Sam

I have been led to believe that this is due to a QR somewhere that states you can only be awarded one campaign medal for each campaign

Well that can't be right.
I got a GSM and an ACSM for the same tour in NI.

W

Wing boy

Acsm is for accumulated service. We are talking campaign medals. E.g. You couldnt get a F.R.Y. medal and a Kosovo medal for the same tour

W

Wing boy

If you did a tour in the F.R.Y. area and one in the Kosovo area yes. The difference for the nato afghanistan medal is that it is non article 5 so you cant wear it. Havent got a clue what that means though

T

The Almighty Fatwa Sam

If you did a tour in the F.R.Y. area and one in the Kosovo area yes. The difference for the nato afghanistan medal is that it is non article 5 so you cant wear it. Havent got a clue what that means though

To hell with it.
Just wear it until someone pulls you up about it.
When they do try to bollock you for it, just say you didn't realise as your previous flight commander said it was okay.
Kids in the air farce today are too worried about breaking rules, getting permission and the possibility that they might get into trouble.

O

Oh sir

To hell with it.
Just wear it until someone pulls you up about it.
When they do try to bollock you for it, just say you didn't realise as your previous flight commander said it was okay.
Kids in the air farce today are too worried about breaking rules, getting permission and the possibility that they might get into trouble.

Yeah mate. Because walting around with medals on that you're not entitled to wear is quite laudable isn't it?

I hope it's some nutter of an old SWO who catches you doing your best mitty impression. That would be some fizzer. Enjoy your jankers is all I'll say. There's enough of your type with your attitude around already without it spreading to "the kids".

Status
Not open for further replies.