• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lower Back Pain on Treadmill

C

Can Do Attitude

Hi everyone,

I have my RAF PJFT coming up this Wednesday however this morning at the gym while running on a treadmill my lower back just seemed to 'give' or something. Now every time I move or get up from sitting my lower back hurts???

I think it feels like a pull muscle, but then again I wouldn't know as I've never really had any. I'm just worried that with only 2/3 days left till my test....have I knackered myself???

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this or know anything that could help?

Cheers all

CBA

sparks will fly

Corporal
Hopefully it's muscular and not a disc problem do you get numdness in your thigh? Try using a heat pad on the affected area as thats what Im using as I hurt mine last week. Oh and before someone else says it get some bruffen down your neck:pDT_Xtremez_28:

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
Dont panic before you need to, you might wake up in the morning and it will be fine!! If not, I would go to the docs, and see what they say!

C

Can Do Attitude

Hopefully it's muscular and not a disc problem do you get numdness in your thigh? Try using a heat pad on the affected area as thats what Im using as I hurt mine last week. Oh and before someone else says it get some bruffen down your neck:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Nah my thight seems to be fine to be honest...had no problems in that department...then again never had any back pains before till now!

fatboy11

Corporal
Do you do a lot of running? maybe its cause youre not used to it? Whichever way get it looked at, and dont crock yourself for the sake of the PJFT, you dont want problems further down the line

C

Can Do Attitude

Do you do a lot of running? maybe its cause youre not used to it? Whichever way get it looked at, and dont crock yourself for the sake of the PJFT, you dont want problems further down the line

Been running 1.5ml in a treadmill almost everyday for the past 2 weeks now, had a couple days off here and there inbetween however too...

C

Can Do Attitude

I was planning on doing nothing the day before, but more than likely something tomorrow then that's it till my test.

Usually that would be a 1.5mile run best effort however if I was to do that do I risk buggering my back more? Would maybe a swim be better??

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I was planning on doing nothing the day before, but more than likely something tomorrow then that's it till my test.

Usually that would be a 1.5mile run best effort however if I was to do that do I risk buggering my back more? Would maybe a swim be better??

If I were you i'd take a couple of days rest, take some ibuprofen or use some Nurofen gel and a heat pad.
You don't want to risk injuring your back even more, you can always have another go at the PJFT.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I do about 5-7 k every one or two days on the treadmill and when I've been overdoing it a bit my lower back hurts like hell as well as a sort of shin splint affair. All I do is reduce the incline to straight and level and it eases it off a bit or just have a few days off and all is well again.

Oh yes, I also had a treadmill that was telling me the incorrect incline level (It was around 4 when it was displaying 2). That did my back in for about a week too.

Just lay off for a few days and see how it goes.

P

Portcullis

My wife, who is a chiropractor goes mental when she hears advice to put heat onto an affected area!

Brufen to take the swelling down, paracetamol to take the pain away (the muscle will spasm to protect the injury, it needs to relax), Rest. 2 to 3 days rest will not cause your fitness to drop!

Good luck

R

rossparker

Impact of Running

Impact of Running

ive been training for my fitness test too and i get lower back pain (well its more of an ache) and although its not the same as you described, it is due to the impact of running and your body not being used to it.

it does wear off mind, just keep training the resting, and your body will adjust.

P

Portcullis

What's with this treadmill mularkey?

You won't see a treadmill at RTS. Lots of tracks, roads and fields to run on though! Why not give that a try?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If it suddenly "gave" and it was associated with a lot of pain, it is possible that one of your your disks has has a peek out form between your vertebrae and touched the spinal chord. If it just aches locally now, that will be muscular, and that is because the first thing your back muscles do is go into "guard" action to protect the area, and they do it very, very quickly. They will take a couple of days to calm down.

If you ever get leg pains (sciatic pain) get down the doc's.

Everyone else is right. heat pack and rest, but make sure you keep the area mobile and work on gentle dorsal raises as well as forward flexion.
In the future you may like to add swimming to your portfolio of exercise - it really is the best thing for the back. If you contnue to get them you will get to a point when you just "know" when your back is unstable and vulnerable.

This is the voice of several years of bitter experience, one casevac 2 hospital episodes and six weeks in Headley Court speaking .

Jenga

LAC
In addition to all the above, I found that getting a new pair of properly fitting trainers that were suited to my feet (low arch and overpronation) helped loads when I started back on the treadmill. Before, when using my old trainers, the base of my spine was in bits.

T

Toxicseagull

treadmills are fine for me but i get the back pain when out running in the "real world". i presume im doing something daft as there shouldnt be that much difference. treadmills are easier though, i can do the 1.5 miles in under 9 minutes on a treadmill, but in a park it takes 11ish.
do try running in parks or local space with grass/track on it. i just used google maps to plan a course at my local park.

good shoes really do help as well. beyond that, if it doesnt kill you, keep running through it.

T

Toxicseagull

ah yeh, if you have a googlemail account on google maps you can do the same as it shows distance and you can save your runs. but cheers for the website :)

W

webrey227

ive been training for my fitness test too and i get lower back pain (well its more of an ache) and although its not the same as you described, it is due to the impact of running and your body not being used to it.

it does wear off mind, just keep training the resting, and your body will adjust.
Definitely if the body is not being used for a particular things like running, it might have a chance to get some pain or specifically back pains. It is advisable by an fitness experts that before engaging in physical activities, a person must have a warm-up or proper exercise. Back pains can be cured if you wanna undergone with back pain Winchester, which have a capability in it.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You win necropost of the week! responsding to a post over 2 years old!

They guy will either be made redundant in SDSR or a WO TG4 by now.